Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Al44
    • By Al44 9th Jun 17, 1:08 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Al44
    Help
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:08 PM
    Help 9th Jun 17 at 1:08 PM
    Last week me and my fianc! were driving on the motorway, in mild traffic moving at around 30-20mph. When a massive truck smashed into the back of us.

We were not seriously hurt but are both suffering from whiplash.

Anyway so I took the drivers details along with his company name and attempted to process a claim against his insurers.

I am supposed to be receiving a hire vehicle and arranging for my car to be sent into a repair garage.

So yesterday the company dealing with getting me a like for like car asked me for a load of proof of documents along with the details of my insurance company which I provided.

So I am expecting to receive a replacement vehicle however the company has refused to deal with me, won't provide a replacement vehicle and will not give me any information as to why. I was told that it's the managers decision and that the manager wouldn't give me any reasoning either.

Can anyone shed any light on why they are refusing to assist me here?

It was not my fault as he went into the back of me. I am confused.

Why is this happening?
Page 1
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 9th Jun 17, 1:11 PM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 1,793 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:11 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:11 PM
    Do you have any offences on your driving licence? I know that some hire companies look at your record, using details you provide, & they may have declined giving you a car due to this?
    • loskie
    • By loskie 9th Jun 17, 1:20 PM
    • 1,025 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    loskie
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:20 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:20 PM
    they may have done a credit check on you which you have failed. As its likely to be a credit hire company you would be liable for massive bills if the other party fails to pay out.
    Look at Honest John and Credit Hire
    • Al44
    • By Al44 9th Jun 17, 2:55 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Al44
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:55 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:55 PM
    My driving license is clean, but my Credit isn't great. Do you think that's why? And would every hire company turn me down on that basis?
    • loskie
    • By loskie 9th Jun 17, 5:15 PM
    • 1,025 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    loskie
    • 9th Jun 17, 5:15 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 5:15 PM
    yes because if the other party does not cover the cost of your hire car you will be liable and the daily hire charge will be exorbitant. As I said look at Credit Hire on Honest John.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/what-is-credit-hire/
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 9th Jun 17, 5:23 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    angrycrow
    • 9th Jun 17, 5:23 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 5:23 PM
    Was it a foreign lorry by any chance. Credit hire companies don't like taking on claims against foreign lorries because it can be a nightmare to get the money back. Best to let your insurers deal if you have comprehensive cover that's what you pay them your premiums for.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 9th Jun 17, 7:30 PM
    • 7,300 Posts
    • 5,190 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 9th Jun 17, 7:30 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 7:30 PM
    Isn't it detailed in your policy whether or not you are entitled to a courtesy car?
    • Al44
    • By Al44 9th Jun 17, 7:52 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Al44
    • 9th Jun 17, 7:52 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 7:52 PM
    No it was a UK truck that hit me.

And I do not want to make a claim from my insurance.

The good news is that I have been offered a courtesy car, by another company but the bad news is that it's not a like for like. I have a luxury convertible prestigious vehicle but they are telling me that they will only exchange it for a Lower grade car because my car is now 7 years old and it needs to be under 6 years old.

I've accepted it for the time being but I'm not feeling good about it. Can anyone offer any advice on how I could get a like for like car?

Thank you to everyone who has responded so far I appreciate everyone's input
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 9th Jun 17, 8:14 PM
    • 35,344 Posts
    • 45,486 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:14 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:14 PM
    It surely doesnt matter that much.
    You could have been killed man.

Perspective....
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Jun 17, 8:18 PM
    • 31,514 Posts
    • 15,528 Thanks
    Quentin

I've accepted it for the time being but I'm not feeling good about it. Can anyone offer any advice on how I could get a like for like car?
    Originally posted by Al44
    Don't push your luck. you are bound to keep your expenses as low as possible
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 9th Jun 17, 8:33 PM
    • 9,565 Posts
    • 6,572 Thanks
    neilmcl
    As above, you're under a duty to mitigate your damages and as such you wouldn't normally be entitled to a like for like vehicle.

Quite often now TP insurers will refuse to deal with credit-hire companies as this can greatly increase the cost of a claim and also, as you've probably been refused credit hire anyway, it sounds like the insurer has mitigates this and arranged for a cheaper hire car at their own cost, which is all they are required to do.
    • jobdone1
    • By jobdone1 9th Jun 17, 10:48 PM
    • 699 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    jobdone1
    Your car is now shagged
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,841Posts Today

4,968Users online

Martin's Twitter