Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ktate
    • By ktate 9th Jun 17, 12:52 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 5Thanks
    ktate
    reset my computer
    • 9th Jun 17, 12:52 PM
    reset my computer 9th Jun 17 at 12:52 PM
    hi hope you can help me please my computer is about 3 years old now and getting a bit glogged up so was thinking of doing a clean install
    i was useing win7 and upgraded to win 10 i like the win10 so what im asking is if i reset it will i need a key or will it load up has win 10 i know im going to loose somethings has the software isnt compatable and the photos seem to keep loading up and filling the hardrive what im worried about is iv no key for win 10 any help or info please would be much appreciated k
Page 1
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 9th Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    Hi Ktate ..

Apologies but parts of your post are a bit difficult to decipher ..

Your main question seems to be if you will need a key for W10 if you re-install.
    The answer to that is no, you wont , as long as you have activated W10 before on the same computer

Further reading here :
    https://www.howtogeek.com/226510/how-to-use-your-free-windows-10-license-after-changing-your-pc%E2%80%99s-hardware/

Andy
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 9th Jun 17, 6:17 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 9th Jun 17, 6:17 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 6:17 PM
    OK so the easiest way to go around it is to click on the Windows Start button, then the third one up which looks like a cog that takes you to the settings. Go to Windows Update. Next go to Recovery on the left, click on it and then on the right of the window select the option to Reset the PC and then choose the option you want from there (keep files, delete files, wipe hard drive.)

Your computer has a digital license so even if you install from DVD, wipe the hard drive you don't need a key, you just select the option about not wanting to enter a key under the text box where you type in the key, select the version of Windows 10 which was installed and it'll then automatically verify you have a digital license when you next go on line.
    • Ainsley1
    • By Ainsley1 9th Jun 17, 8:38 PM
    • 372 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    Ainsley1
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:38 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:38 PM
    I too, like Andypix, am a bit confused by some of your 'terminology'!
    What do you mean 'a bit clogged up'. Running out of disk space, many a virus, too many progs, running slow etc.

Yes you can do a clean install, wiping your data, reformat the drive, start afresh, do you have a particular aim? If it is just to reinstall win 10 follow Andypix's instructions.....but be aware that you may well then have loads of updates to download taking time and download quantity (are you on unlimited download limits?). Is there data you want to keep and if so backup first!!!!

Not wishing to put you off at all but if it is a specific issue then you might be better off sorting that or at least understanding it so you can prevent it again.
    • toshi
    • By toshi 10th Jun 17, 2:47 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    toshi
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:47 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:47 PM
    hi hope you can help me please my computer is about 3 years old now and getting a bit glogged up so was thinking of doing a clean install
    i was useing win7 and upgraded to win 10 i like the win10 so what im asking is if i reset it will i need a key or will it load up has win 10 i know im going to loose somethings has the software isnt compatable and the photos seem to keep loading up and filling the hardrive what im worried about is iv no key for win 10 any help or info please would be much appreciated k
    Originally posted by ktate
    I have understood that your 3 years old computer became very slow, as a solution, you want to perform a Windows 10 clean installation, yes, this would be a big job. (Backup your data, reinstalling all application after windows 10 installation)

Assuming Windows itself works fine, and only slowness is the problem, there would be a better and permanent solution.

You just simply replace your slow hard disk with an SSD, Solid State Drive (flash based storage device) what you will use the cloning software, completely disk cloning from your existing hard disk to an SSD. That's all, You don't have to reinstall anything, all existing date is there. you don't have to back up your data.

I have observed that Windows update make computer significantly slow down for long term. Especially Windows10 update add a lot of features and update, your hard disk is really struggling to installing thousands files. With an SSD, you can overcome hard disk slowness forever.

If you are interested in this option, please let me know your computer exact model name. Don’t rush, do some research, or keep asking please until you exactly know what you want to do.

HDD vs SSD - What is the difference?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4ykrNhI5xk

Upgrade your Windows 10 PC with an SSD and be happier with your life (How To)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Le07EjcTiE

Happy SSD computing

Last edited by toshi; 10-06-2017 at 3:21 PM. Reason: minor correction
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 10th Jun 17, 4:23 PM
    • 1,755 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 10th Jun 17, 4:23 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 4:23 PM
    Getting an SSD is Good advice, see this thread for SSD advice

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5653629

but first you need to clean up your system

This happens when you install free software with Adware or if you use an Admin account day to day.

The first thing to do is to just create a new profile and see how much it improves the performance, make sure it is a STANDARD user and that you have a separate ADMIN user, the latter only to be used for Admin tasks.

So the next thing is to clean up your system as follows:

Remove unwanted apps or apps you do not need with Revo Uninstaller which removes all of the app and registry settings.

Remove adware

Check for Malware

Clear out your cookies

Get rid of any services that are not needed (updates from Adobe, Google, Apple etc) do them manually

Clear down your cookies (for each account) with ccleaner, it can also edit startup tasks

See my post below for details,

If you really want to start over by reinstalling Win10, start by making sure you have a windows live account connected to one of your Win10 accounts (or create a new one).

Then go get Win10 media here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

"+ Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC (click to show more or less information)"

Follow these steps to create installation media (USB flash drive or DVD) that you can use to install a new copy of Windows 10, perform a clean installation or reinstall Windows 10.

Then once you have your USB or DVD media created, boot it and follow install instructions,

Use the same Live.com account for at least one account so that licensing is taken care of.

If you want you could leave the existing one intact by partitioning your disk by reducing current partition and making room for a new primary partition of at least 50gb. If you do that it would not be a bad thing to create a small PAGEFILE partition at the end of the drive and a DATA partition.

You can then move all your data to that dedicated partition and export your bookmarks from the old windows before you nuke it. You can then clone the new partition, and use EasyBCD to create a dual boot system. I would then hide the backup partition and use it in the event of a failure.

I use a laptop that is over 9 years old, so a 3 year old probably has loads of life left in it.

The reason you probably got infected is because the account you are using day to day is an Admin account, this allows the worst viruses and root kits to get hold. Just visiting some sites can infect you if you use an Admin account, also if you install some free software you have to stop it installing what we call PUP's potentially unwanted programs. The PUP can affect your search results and display ads from dodgy sites.

Bear in mind that viruses, malware and pups install programs that run all the time, some detect if you try to remove them, some also add tasks to the task scheduler to add them back again.

These kind of programs can slow down your Laptop substantially and flickering can be a sign of software trying to take screenshots and keylog (to get bank details). Of course it may be a hardware problem.

So start by creating a new Admin account and a new Standard account, then login as the Admin account and demote the account you used to use to a standard account.

You need to run three sorts of software Malware Detection which is Malwarebytes above, however, be aware that a lot of current AV apps can be bloated, yet they use the same definitions. So I use V1.75 it is way faster.

https://malwarebytes.app.box.com/s/u0b4k0fttttab6q2qqrw/

The second software is rootkit detectors, later versions of MWB have it but to be honest I prefer standalone versions including MWB's own.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows/anti-rootkit/

The third piece of software you need is an adware scanner

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

You also need a third party uninstaller that will completely remove those bad apps that slow down your computer.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/start_freeware_download.html

I can't tell you all the programs to uninstall, but you run this after you run the above programs and they have removed the worst, but you have these programs that got installed with freeware, things like toolbars, anything search, etc. Also remove any expired AV programs, you should only have one AV program running at a time and the Microsoft one is adequate with MWB used to scan manually from time to time and to scan downloaded files manually.

My advice would be to copy off your data first, then scan your data on an external disk first, after that clean your machine. However, before you clean your main system you need to terminate any programs in memory that are not windows.

So to start by pressing Window Key + R to display run, type in MSCONFIG and enter, it will ask you to enter the Admin password if you are on a standard account (this will be the password of the admin account you created earlier). Initially deselect all of them, then click Apply and OK, then reboot.

Then install the detection programs above, use each one to scan your system and select everything they identify as malware, virus, PUPS or adware and have them remove them. It will take some hours.

You may need to run them again from within your old login as well as in the new admin account.

You should find that logging into the new Standard account is faster, there will be some things you want from your old profile, bookmarks, data and downloads.

Run task scheduler in both your old account and the admin account, leave the Microsoft tasks, disable 3rd party tasks, including those called update from Google, Adobe or Apple as well as anything that looks dodgy.

Right click on Computer (My Computer, This Computer) and choose Manage, again enter Admin password.

On left, choose Services under Services and Applications.

Disable any updates from third parties, including, Adobe, Skype, Google Update Service (Gupdate and Gupdatem). You may have to stop a service first if it is running.

DO NOT disable anything from AV companies, they may perceive this as an attack, if there is anything left of AV apps look at the site of the author for a removal tool, e.g. Norton Removal tool.

You may turn some of these back on later although I prefer to run updates manually than have these things using my bandwidth and slowing down network access.

Use Revo to remove any unwanted apps, use the advanced option so that after the uninstall runs it will remove left over registry entries and extraneous files they leave behind. It is good to sort the programs by date so you can see the timeline of when apps were installed. Some will be bloatware and trial apps that came with your system.
    If you have a pernicious virus that fights back or you just want to start over, you do have the option to restore the machine to factory settings. Think CAREFULLY before you do this, it wipes all your data and settings.

Moving forward, once you have cleaned up your system make sure you do not use an Admin account for day to day work. PM me if you get stuck or need some clarification.

In case you DO decide you want a new laptop then have a look at this thread to see my methodology for determining spec and price for comparison.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5569126&page=3#topofpage
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam2; 12-06-2017 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Direct link added. Link shortening services not allowed
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • toshi
    • By toshi 11th Jun 17, 11:54 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    toshi
    • 11th Jun 17, 11:54 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 11:54 AM
    Getting an SSD is Good advice, see this thread for SSD advice

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5653629

but first you need to clean up your system
    If you have decided to upgrade to a superfast SSD, I actually suggest to perform cleaning work AFTER installing an SSD.

All of cleaning up work is VERY disk intensive work. You would give up the most of cleanup job because the hard disk is too slow.

Please note I am not talking a freshly installed clean environment, as far as I know, upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10 give you quite a mess already.

The computer itself would have been already struggling to run an standard operation. These cleanup work would take hell of lot of time.

Some told me that you may not want to transfer virus to a new SSD, No problem, you can perform all cleanup work with an SSD.

This will be your first benefit from SSD performance. Just run Malwarebytes, ccleaner with an SSD. You never ever want to come back to a sluggish hard disk.

I often show off SSD demonstration - run Malwatebytes and ccleaner at the same time with my 7 years old Notebook lol (Faster CPU cannot help a disk intensive work itself lol)

I would suggest you would make a disk-clone from the SSD to hard disk, if you want to keep a clean backup.

Happy SSD computing
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 12th Jun 17, 9:35 AM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 12th Jun 17, 9:35 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 9:35 AM
    Getting <snip>.
    (Post reported for containing BITLY link)

When a user is describing their computer being "glogged" up - its safe to say that they will have been dumbfounded by the majority of that huge post.
    (Apologies if i read that wrong OP)

And a reset is by far and away the easiest, best and least time consuming way to go here as outlined eloquently in post #3 above
    Last edited by AndyPix; 12-06-2017 at 1:40 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

1,975Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin