Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • danicheng
    • By danicheng 9th Jun 17, 11:57 AM
    • 51Posts
    • 5Thanks
    danicheng
    Centamin (Gold) Stock - Sell or Hold
    • 9th Jun 17, 11:57 AM
    Centamin (Gold) Stock - Sell or Hold 9th Jun 17 at 11:57 AM
    Hi All

I am holding 489 stocks for Centamin (Bought these at 98p) and last week the price was at 161p and since the announcement of the election it has rose to 178p as of now.

Since it is a gold stock do people think I should keep or sell this share?
Page 1
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 9th Jun 17, 12:01 PM
    • 3,168 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    • 9th Jun 17, 12:01 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 12:01 PM
    Hi All

I am holding 489 stocks for Centamin (Bought these at 98p) and last week the price was at 161p and since the announcement of the election it has rose to 178p as of now.

Since it is a gold stock do people think I should keep or sell this share?
    Originally posted by danicheng
    I don't know, why did you buy them?

Was it simply to turn a profit or for other reasons? If it was to make money then you have done that and you could happily sell having made a nice profit.

I'm not sure if anyone has a crystal ball and can tell you how much higher they may go.

The other thing you need to somehow differentiate is how much of the SP increase is due to the companies performance and how much to the Sterling decline.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 9th Jun 17, 12:13 PM
    • 3,168 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    • 9th Jun 17, 12:13 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 12:13 PM
    The other thing you may want to investigate is the dividend policy and possible future dividends.

The company made a significant dividend payment for the last FY and they have a stated dividend policy of distributing 30% of net cash flow after sustaining capital costs (yada yada). So, two things....
    1. The SP might be being supported because of the excellent divi (still over 8%, if sustained)
    2. Has the comapny / brokers provided any indication of likely net cash flow for 2017 etc?

• danicheng
    • By danicheng 9th Jun 17, 12:35 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    danicheng
    • 9th Jun 17, 12:35 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 12:35 PM
    I don't know, why did you buy them?

Was it simply to turn a profit or for other reasons? If it was to make money then you have done that and you could happily sell having made a nice profit.

I'm not sure if anyone has a crystal ball and can tell you how much higher they may go.

The other thing you need to somehow differentiate is how much of the SP increase is due to the companies performance and how much to the Sterling decline.
    Originally posted by cloud_dog
    The reason for purchasing this was to make a profit which if I sell now would turn a profit on top of the dividend that was paid out this year. Just wanted to see what other thoughts were given the current climate and knowledge of what others would do.

Thanks for your repsonse
    The other thing you may want to investigate is the dividend policy and possible future dividends.

The company made a significant dividend payment for the last FY and they have a stated dividend policy of distributing 30% of net cash flow after sustaining capital costs (yada yada). So, two things....
    1. The SP might be being supported because of the excellent divi (still over 8%, if sustained)
    2. Has the comapny / brokers provided any indication of likely net cash flow for 2017 etc?
    Originally posted by cloud_dog
    The broker has recommended this a strong buy, but this doesn't give me the indication or reassurance to hold or keep this stock
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 9th Jun 17, 1:15 PM
    • 3,168 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:15 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:15 PM
    I don't think anyone will be able/willing to guide you one way or the other, there are just too many factors and considerations.

What is your investing style? Are you more of a trader? What guidelines do you set for 'trading' (rather than investing), i.e. once I make 50% I sell etc etc?

If you sell are there other opportunities you see for investing/trading?

Are you just looking to protect your gains (goes back to your investing/trading style / rules).

If you are unsure then sell (never wrong to take a profit) or sell half and leave the remainder invested.

• EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 9th Jun 17, 1:47 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:47 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:47 PM
    If Trump gets impeached then gold will fly but it would be safer to invest in a gold mining ETF than just Centamin. How much profit are you making and has it reached your target? Is there something better to invest in? The reason for today's rise is the fall in sterling.
    • elephantrosie
    • By elephantrosie 9th Jun 17, 11:00 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    elephantrosie
    • 9th Jun 17, 11:00 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 11:00 PM
    If Trump gets impeached then gold will fly but it would be safer to invest in a gold mining ETF than just Centamin. How much profit are you making and has it reached your target? Is there something better to invest in? The reason for today's rise is the fall in sterling.
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    what gold mining ETF would you recommend?
    Another night of thankfulness.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 10th Jun 17, 6:48 AM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 10th Jun 17, 6:48 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 6:48 AM
    If you don't need the money, I would let it ride.

Opportunity cost. What are you going to use the money for, that will give you better value? Wine and women? Or, shoes and toy boys. This is an Equal "Opportunities" comment.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,896Posts Today

7,468Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin