Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 9th Jun 17, 11:36 AM
    • 7,846Posts
    • 1,813Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Unable to forward phishing email to BT
    • 9th Jun 17, 11:36 AM
    Unable to forward phishing email to BT 9th Jun 17 at 11:36 AM
    I am trying to forward a "phishing" email to phishing@bt.com and get :
    "550 Delivery not authorized"
    Is this due to BT or me ?
    I am not on Exchange - I am using a standalone PC and Thunderbird !!
Page 1
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 9th Jun 17, 11:48 AM
    • 8,841 Posts
    • 4,419 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 9th Jun 17, 11:48 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 11:48 AM
    The 550 code is the receiving mail server response. I suspect it may be temporary so you could just try it again,

I've sent a test email to that address - will amend this post if I get a rejection back. Going out soon so unless it replies quickly it may be a while before I can update.

===

Quickly got...

Hello,

Thank you for reporting your suspicious email to the BT Internet Customer Security Team. Please note that this email is an automatic acknowledgement confirming receipt of your enquiry.
    blah blah blah

Maybe they just don't like you.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th Jun 17, 11:56 AM
    • 18,543 Posts
    • 14,271 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 9th Jun 17, 11:56 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 11:56 AM
    Why not just delete it?
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 9th Jun 17, 11:57 AM
    • 31,871 Posts
    • 37,593 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 9th Jun 17, 11:57 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 11:57 AM
    pointless exercise..........
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 9th Jun 17, 12:08 PM
    • 7,846 Posts
    • 1,813 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 9th Jun 17, 12:08 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 12:08 PM
    The 550 code is the receiving mail server response. I suspect it may be temporary so you could just try it again,

I've sent a test email to that address - will amend this post if I get a rejection back. Going out soon so unless it replies quickly it may be a while before I can update.

===

Quickly got...

Hello,

Thank you for reporting your suspicious email to the BT Internet Customer Security Team. Please note that this email is an automatic acknowledgement confirming receipt of your enquiry.
    blah blah blah

Maybe they just don't like you.
    Originally posted by kwikbreaks
    I too was able to get a BLANK email to phishing@bt.com - but as soon as I add anything to the email (plain text) - I get a 550 error - never mind, I did try !!
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 9th Jun 17, 3:03 PM
    • 8,841 Posts
    • 4,419 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 9th Jun 17, 3:03 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 3:03 PM
    The other thing you need to consider is how it got past your spam filter. I can't remember when I last saw any phishing attempt.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 9th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    • 7,846 Posts
    • 1,813 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 9th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    The other thing you need to consider is how it got past your spam filter. I can't remember when I last saw any phishing attempt.
    Originally posted by kwikbreaks
    My email account is gotadsl/TTBusiness (although I am not a business) - my spam level is set to maximum - but it still got through !
    I am unable to modify it at the moment (TTB are doing work on the servers and they are unavailable until Monday)....
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 9th Jun 17, 6:05 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 9th Jun 17, 6:05 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 6:05 PM
    if the email contains and attachment then you will need to remove the attachment for sending
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

1,557Users online

Martin's Twitter