Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vigman
    • By vigman 9th Jun 17, 11:18 AM
    • 1,087Posts
    • 261Thanks
    vigman
    BT Broadband Catch 22
    • 9th Jun 17, 11:18 AM
    BT Broadband Catch 22 9th Jun 17 at 11:18 AM
    I have just installed BT broadband at a holiday home in a remote location about 3 miles from the exchange.

I was told I would get 1-5Mbs download speed, so I hoped for around 2Mbs.

In these first days I am getting less than 1 mbps most of the time.

I placed the order about a week ago and the router came yesterday. I get a 14 day cancellation period BUT I must run the router for 10 days from now to see what the best speed for the line is.

So I would have to cancel and change service/provider before I knew the capability of the line?

On another point it is annoying that the BT HomeHub 4 does not have the ability to show the attenuation rates? Their suggestion is to try someone else's router...which I don't have here!?

If the service failed to provide even 1Mbs would I be able to cancel my contract at a later date as BT would have failed to deliver the 1-5Mbs contracted for?

TIA

Vigman
    Last edited by vigman; 09-06-2017 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Grammar!
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
Page 2
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 10th Jun 17, 6:57 PM
    • 8,799 Posts
    • 4,396 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    ADSL to settle? Absolute nonsense. The speed will likely not change.
    Originally posted by warehouse
    It may but the only travel direction tends to be down,

A line starts out with a default 6dB target noise margin. The modem/router will then sync at the highest speed it can while still maintaining that margin, If it shows instability (ie several drops in sync) then DLM will increase the target noise margin in 3dB steps. The result of an increased target is a slower sync.
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 10th Jun 17, 7:12 PM
    • 4,959 Posts
    • 5,109 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    My son and I lived for six and a half years in a remote cottage with a broadband speed which varied from 0.5 to 1.5 meg for all that time, and still managed most things like watch Netflix, Sky Box sets, iPlayer, etc, without problem most of the time.

BT were the most reliable BB provider. We tried TalkTalk to reduce the bill and left them within two months and returned to BT.

But just to make you jealous, we have now moved back into the village with the cabinet right outside and the exchange at the end of the road and our speed varies between 17-20 meg everyday. Who needs fibre?
    There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O.S. Nock
    • vigman
    • By vigman 10th Jun 17, 9:14 PM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    vigman
    My son and I lived for six and a half years in a remote cottage with a broadband speed which varied from 0.5 to 1.5 meg for all that time, and still managed most things like watch Netflix, Sky Box sets, iPlayer, etc, without problem most of the time.

BT were the most reliable BB provider. We tried TalkTalk to reduce the bill and left them within two months and returned to BT.

But just to make you jealous, we have now moved back into the village with the cabinet right outside and the exchange at the end of the road and our speed varies between 17-20 meg everyday. Who needs fibre?
    Originally posted by poppasmurf_bewdley
    At home I'm in the same position, hundreds of yards from the exchange and about 25 yards to the cab with new copper to the house and I get c 20 Mbs!

I have had a few wobbles with Netflix on this slow connection but it didn't help that More 4 was actually having technical troubles via the Firestick at the time I tested that!

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,185Posts Today

8,319Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin