Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 9th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    • 7,836Posts
    • 25,804Thanks
    fairy lights
    Hung Parliament distress
    • 9th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    Hung Parliament distress 9th Jun 17 at 11:05 AM
    How can any of us be expected to do any work when we don't have a sitting government?
    We are all undoubtedly in a state of inner turmoil and distress at the troubling time.
    The future of our glorious nation is uncertain, even the weather is trapped in flux, alternating between rain and hesitant sun as if to mirror the chaos within our political system.

With that in mind, do you think we can all knock off early today and go to the pub?
Page 2
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 15th Jun 17, 9:47 AM
    • 2,360 Posts
    • 3,785 Thanks
    bap98189
    We got a leaflet through the door for Des Hjerling of The Pirate Party, new one on me. They actually got 483 votes. Not sure if he was dressed as a pirate when the results were announced.
    Originally posted by fussypensioner
    H wouldn't have been. The Pirate Party are nothing to do with the Captain Jack Sparrow type of pirate. They are rather more concerned with technology and reform of copyright law.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 15th Jun 17, 12:35 PM
    • 3,077 Posts
    • 6,823 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    I didn't know John Major led a minority government, I wasn't paying attention at the time. As New Labour got in in 1997 I would imagine the minority government didn't last very long?
    Originally posted by avogadro
    It was elected as a majority government in 1992 and became a minority due to deaths causing by-elections that were won by opposition parties. It lasted the five year full term, part of which was as a minority.

It nearly fell when the bill for the Maastrict treaty was going through the commons (was still a Conservative majority at that point, but as always they were split on Europe, just like Labour), the opposition targeted a particular clause which the unionists were likely to vote against or abstain. John Major declared getting it through a matter of confidence, meaning the vote being lost would have caused the government to fall, which is pretty much the last roll of the parliamentary dice. He won the vote with a majority of three (something like 315 to 318), both sides were getting MPs out of their beds in hospitals and wheeling them in to vote and all sorts. Was proper high drama (if you're interested in politics and the workings of parliament, anyway), the BBC news showed the vote being read out live on BBC1.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,634Posts Today

9,638Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin