Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 9th Jun 17, 10:43 AM
    • 2,664Posts
    • 1,490Thanks
    Annie1960
    Membrane between dishwasher and worktop
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:43 AM
    Membrane between dishwasher and worktop 9th Jun 17 at 10:43 AM
    My new integrated Bosch dishwasher has just been delivered.

My fitter told me a few weeks ago when we were discussing the work that it would probably come with a membrane that could be put between the dishwasher and worktop to protect the worktop from damp. There is no embrane with the dishwasher.

Do I need one of these, and if so where can I get one? I've never had a dishwasher before.

My worktop will be quartz if that makes any difference.
Page 1
    • Niv
    • By Niv 9th Jun 17, 12:03 PM
    • 1,492 Posts
    • 1,306 Thanks
    Niv
    • 9th Jun 17, 12:03 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 12:03 PM
    Never heard of that to be honest so cant be of too much help.

But I do wonder :
    1 - how much damp is this dishwasher going to make? My integrated one only has a little steam when you open the door when it is still hot
    2 - if there was a moisture release from the dishwasher, what issue will that make to a quartz worktop (none imo)
    YNWA

Mortgage free by 58.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 9th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 935 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    Don't open the dishwasher door for a couple of hours after the cycle has finished and there is no noticeable emission of vapour or moisture. We wash overnight (Economy 7) so when I empty the dishwasher in the morning it has been finished for 2 hours.
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 9th Jun 17, 2:08 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    Annie1960
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:08 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:08 PM
    Thanks. Maybe it relates more to laminate, which I was thinking of getting at one point, until I realised I wanted a curve.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 9th Jun 17, 2:40 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 1,482 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:40 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:40 PM
    You don't need it with quartz, it's to stop the steam penetration chipboard worktops & making them swell.

You shouldn't be opening the thing while it's still steamy inside anyway, but sometimes you have to.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 9th Jun 17, 6:31 PM
    • 7,861 Posts
    • 7,116 Thanks
    phill99
    • 9th Jun 17, 6:31 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 6:31 PM
    I fit kitchen and bathrooms for a living. If you have a laminate or wooden worktop a membrane/aluminium sticking foil/2 coats of oil based varnish are imperative on the underside of the worktop where the door opens. Its to stop steam and water splashes penetrating the unprotected part of the worktop.

If you have granite, quartz or Corian, you wont need it.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • ryder72
    • By ryder72 9th Jun 17, 8:07 PM
    • 958 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    ryder72
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:07 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:07 PM
    Bosch dishwashers come with a deflector plate which must be fitted with laminate, wood or Corian worktops. This is to prevent steam ingress.

There is no such thing as a membrane.

To be honest I would be questioning this fitters competency.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • phill99
    • By phill99 9th Jun 17, 8:52 PM
    • 7,861 Posts
    • 7,116 Thanks
    phill99
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:52 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:52 PM
    Bosch dishwashers come with a deflector plate which must be fitted with laminate, wood or Corian worktops. This is to prevent steam ingress.

There is no such thing as a membrane.

To be honest I would be questioning this fitters competency.
    Originally posted by ryder72
    I think 'membrane' is a generic term. We have fitted deflector plates. We have also fitted self adhesive aluminium tape and clear adhesive tape, all provided by the manufacturers. Where nothing has been provided (which is ore common than you realise) we apply an oil based varnish to the underside of the laminate. All methods are effective at keeping moisture out of the worktop.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 10th Jun 17, 3:29 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    Annie1960
    • 10th Jun 17, 3:29 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 3:29 PM
    There is a metal plate with the dishwasher - maybe this is the part? But as I'm having quartz maybe I don't need it.

They are coming on Monday to start fitting, and I want to make sure I have all the materials here as I don't want to cause delays.
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 10th Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    Annie1960
    Found it here:

http://www.diy.com/departments/unika-worktop-protection-sheet-w600mm/38425_BQ.prd

It is also knows as 'vapour barrier'.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 10th Jun 17, 3:52 PM
    • 2,991 Posts
    • 5,172 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    You can also get them called condensation strips
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,924Posts Today

8,216Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin