Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RichardCUK
    • By RichardCUK 9th Jun 17, 10:20 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    RichardCUK
    How To Check If Car Is Imported
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:20 AM
    How To Check If Car Is Imported 9th Jun 17 at 10:20 AM
    Hi everyone.

I'm set to buy a car from motorpoint tomorrow. Its' a 16 plate Yaris and I just want to triple check that the car isnt an import.

So far I've:

1) Asked motopoint if its and import and they said no (surely they have to say if it is or else I would give the wrong details to my insurance company).

2) Did a HPI check and couldn't see anything to say it was

3)Checked on th DVLA website which says it was registered in the UK in May 2016 which would line up with the age of the car as its a 16 plate.

Is there anything I can check on the day in the log book that would tell me if its an import?

Many Thanks,

Rich
Page 1
    • RichardCUK
    • By RichardCUK 9th Jun 17, 10:32 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RichardCUK
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:32 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:32 AM
    Also the HPI check says:

Make Toyota
    Model YARIS DESIGN VVT-I
    Engine size cc 1329
    Engine number 1NR0867448
    Fuel Petrol
    Body plan 5 Door Hatchback
    Colour BLACK
    Number of colour changes 0
    Last colour change date N/A
    Gearbox 6 Speed Manual
    Year of manufacture 2016
    Current owner/keeper acquired on 27/05/2016
    Date of first registration in the UK 27/05/2016
    Number of previous owners/keepers 0
    CO2 emissions 119 g/km
    CO2 ratings C
    The DVLA has not recorded this license plate as exported
    The DVLA has not recorded this license plate as scrapped

I've also done a second HPI check which says it isn't imported. IT says there is outstanding finance on it but could that be because I've put a deposit down on the car?
    Last edited by RichardCUK; 09-06-2017 at 10:45 AM.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 9th Jun 17, 10:54 AM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    loskie
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:54 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:54 AM
    you are worrying over nothing.
    • RichardCUK
    • By RichardCUK 9th Jun 17, 11:21 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RichardCUK
    • 9th Jun 17, 11:21 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 11:21 AM
    Another update I rang the company who did the last HPI check and chap on the phone was very helpful.

He said the car is flagged as having finance on it as thats how the dealship would have bought the car.

He also confirmed the car isnt an import as it would be missing a lot of information such as the engine number etc and he said it is a UK model
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 9th Jun 17, 2:03 PM
    • 15,674 Posts
    • 8,983 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:03 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:03 PM
    Another update I rang the company who did the last HPI check and chap on the phone was very helpful.

He said the car is flagged as having finance on it as thats how the dealship would have bought the car.

He also confirmed the car isnt an import as it would be missing a lot of information such as the engine number etc and he said it is a UK model
    Originally posted by RichardCUK
    I think you were right to check and check again.

Motorpoint are notorious for selling imports, and they can be harder to insure and resell.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • RichardCUK
    • By RichardCUK 9th Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RichardCUK
    • 9th Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    Exactly. That's why I asked outright and got 2 HPI checks. When I rang and asked for details as I was carrying out my HPI check they were surprised as they say they carry one out themselves.
    It's part of that £99 fee which they try and charge you, though thanks for this forum I know its totally optional.

I just thought 2 HPI checks and a call to one of he HPI check sites and getting verbal confirmation that its not an import has put my mind to rest
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 9th Jun 17, 6:11 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 1,104 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 9th Jun 17, 6:11 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 6:11 PM
    He also confirmed the car isnt an import as it would be missing a lot of information such as the engine number etc
    Originally posted by RichardCUK
    He was lying. If my wife's 1995 Mitsubishi FTO which were only available as imports had its engine number and other info on the V5 a 2016 car most definitely is.
    • tim9966
    • By tim9966 9th Jun 17, 7:01 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    tim9966
    • 9th Jun 17, 7:01 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 7:01 PM
    Normally it can be worked out when year of the car doesn't match with Date of first registration in the UK.

In your case it does match so it will be a UK Spec car. (It may have been built abroad, but it was first used on the road in the UK, so that counts as a UK car)
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 9th Jun 17, 7:20 PM
    • 7,159 Posts
    • 5,561 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 9th Jun 17, 7:20 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 7:20 PM
    Why spend on HPI to find such details out?

Just call a UK Toyota dealer with the reg and VIN.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

189Posts Today

1,629Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin