Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nicholasuk
    • By nicholasuk 9th Jun 17, 9:36 AM
    • 31Posts
    • 1Thanks
    nicholasuk
    Threat of court proceedings in 14 days
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:36 AM
    Threat of court proceedings in 14 days 9th Jun 17 at 9:36 AM
    I have received a threat of court from a creditor, my only debt of around £3k which is due to expire in about 90 days giving me a fresh slate.

I had to small debts of 700£ turn into ccjs over the last 18 months of which i paid in full so i am worried this will go all the way too, even though the debt charity i called told me not to worry its probably a bluff and why has it taken them nearly 6 years etc etc. which was a bit alarming even if free advice.

He did say the debt might already be statue barred which is possible i guess but ill need a subject access request and they apparently take 40 days.

What are my options here i do not want a ccj and ideally i'd like to settle with a F&F but an F&F is an admittance of the debt isn't it which would be annoying if it is already barred.

What should i do ? Send the cca to the creditor who i believe isnt bluffing?

As this debt is close to expiration i do not wish to engage in monthly repayments and would like to clear it or tie it up until the time comes where i have evidence if its enforceable any more.

What would you do?

Also, on the cca, can you add things like, i have council tax debt, maybe include a piece of paper with the council tax debt and a letter from the tax people wanting money? I am self employed and havent had much go in my bank this year.

Could i include such things on the cca with my phone number saying if you can take an offer of whatever from my father to close the account please send acceptance of this in writing blah. ?

I did call the national debt line as i said and their advice was poor i think, i was nice to the guy etc but i did feel he was not experienced enough even though claiming he had been a debt collector before. He didnt even mention a cca.

It was around closing the time i was speaking to him not sure if that made him want to end it as fast as.

His first advice was along the lines if this goes to court you can pay whatever and in 6 years the ccj goes and everything is all dandy sort of approach lol.

Any help appreciated. I am tempted to maybe employ some legal peep if the cost of them tying this up is a couple hundred until i can get the subject access request. But i dare say these legal peeps who know their stuff dont get out of bed for that.
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Jun 17, 10:35 AM
    • 12,200 Posts
    • 11,656 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:35 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:35 AM
    Nic, I've answered on your other post.

Posting the same thing numerous times just serves to confuse people.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there, and delete spam.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • nicholasuk
    • By nicholasuk 9th Jun 17, 12:40 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    nicholasuk
    • 9th Jun 17, 12:40 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 12:40 PM
    Nic, I've answered on your other post.

Posting the same thing numerous times just serves to confuse people.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,892Posts Today

7,084Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin