Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 9th Jun 17, 8:40 AM
    • 8,285Posts
    • 12,551Thanks
    worried jim
    video convert to ipad
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:40 AM
    video convert to ipad 9th Jun 17 at 8:40 AM
    I need to convert some films to run on ipad. I've just tried handbrake and a 1 hour film would take 33 hours to convert- not good for putting house of cards on an ipad to view on an plane!

What can you recommend?

Acer Aspire t180 running Vista with 2gb of RAM.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
Page 1
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 9th Jun 17, 9:13 AM
    • 3,263 Posts
    • 1,665 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:13 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:13 AM
    might be easier, take a months free trial with NETFLIX
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 9th Jun 17, 9:15 AM
    • 8,285 Posts
    • 12,551 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:15 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:15 AM
    might be easier, take a months free trial with NETFLIX
    Originally posted by ballyblack
    I don't think the plane has wi-fi! I need to covert more than just Netflix content- I was just using H of C as an example.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 9th Jun 17, 9:16 AM
    • 3,263 Posts
    • 1,665 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:16 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:16 AM
    Ok

But Netflix allows you to download

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/54816

Last edited by ballyblack; 09-06-2017 at 9:52 AM.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 9th Jun 17, 10:04 AM
    • 8,285 Posts
    • 12,551 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:04 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:04 AM
    Okay- bad example. I don't need anything from Netflix. I simply need to convert video media on my PC to a format that I can put into itunes and load onto my ipad to enjoy on holiday where there will be prolonged periods with out internet access.
    Albert Einstein
    • almillar
    • By almillar 9th Jun 17, 1:37 PM
    • 6,929 Posts
    • 2,757 Thanks
    almillar
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:37 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:37 PM
    Video rendering/recompressing is one of the most intensive things you can ask a computer to do. A computer running Vista will be pretty old and slow.
    BUT
    Let it do one conversion, and see how long it actually takes. 33hrs might have been way out as an estimation.
    Faster hardware is the ultimate solution here, even on a money saving site, if you buy a new(er) computer you'll have the bonus of a more secure, supported operating system.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 9th Jun 17, 6:21 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    • 9th Jun 17, 6:21 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 6:21 PM
    Yes video conversion is best with lots of memory. Things are maybe slow because you are paging a lot with your hard drive? try a smaller programme and monitor your PC performance whilst it works to get an idea of what is the limiting factor?

However for programmes AVS4You video converter is excellent. Usually comes as a suite of programmes bought for £40+ for life ( not sure if there is a free download of that individual item, there used to be...) that purchase may seem a lot but I can really recommend them all. Best suite I have found at a fairly budget price.......but yes not free.

edit:
    ...oh yes there are still free ones around it seems just search "avs4you video converter free"
    Last edited by Heedtheadvice; 09-06-2017 at 6:24 PM. Reason: addition
    • J B
    • By J B 9th Jun 17, 8:01 PM
    • 2,204 Posts
    • 706 Thanks
    J B
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:01 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:01 PM
    I've used 'Freemake' on my PC, not sure if it can convert to apple stuff
    • fenlander_uk
    • By fenlander_uk 9th Jun 17, 9:28 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    fenlander_uk
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:28 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:28 PM
    Do you actually need to reduce the resolution or just convert from mkv to mp4 format?

If the latter, use AVIdemux. Open the mkv, set outputs to copy and muxer to mp4. Then hit the remux button. Takes a few seconds.

If you really need to recode with Handbrake and you have a recent Intel-based pc, use the Intel QSV option in the Video options. Normally takes a few minutes for a 50-minute video.
    Last edited by fenlander_uk; 09-06-2017 at 9:30 PM.
    • toshi
    • By toshi 10th Jun 17, 12:48 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    toshi
    I simply need to convert video media on my PC to a format that I can put into itunes and load onto my ipad
    Originally posted by worried jim
    I am wondering if you would find workaround ?

Install another video playback apps such as VLC PLAYER to your iPad, you may find way to transfer video files from your computer to iPad not via itune.

If converting into mp4 helps, upload videos to youtube account, then download as mp4 format., technically you can convert into mp4 via Youtube.

Sorry if I still misunderstand your intention (and I don't have iPad, and I am not sure iPad/itume can play mp4 format!)
    Last edited by toshi; 10-06-2017 at 3:01 PM. Reason: minor correction
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 10th Jun 17, 10:28 AM
    • 8,285 Posts
    • 12,551 Thanks
    worried jim
    Vlc player is not available on Apple, hence the needed conversion tool.
    Albert Einstein
    • hans 2
    • By hans 2 10th Jun 17, 10:41 AM
    • 353 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    hans 2
    VLC for iOS
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 10th Jun 17, 10:48 AM
    • 8,285 Posts
    • 12,551 Thanks
    worried jim
    Originally posted by hans 2
    Nice! I'll give it a go when home.
    Albert Einstein
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 10th Jun 17, 5:33 PM
    • 8,285 Posts
    • 12,551 Thanks
    worried jim
    Thanks everyone- got VLC working with no issues so no conversion tools needed.
    Albert Einstein
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,984Posts Today

9,443Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin