Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • malibu200786
    • By malibu200786 9th Jun 17, 6:56 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 0Thanks
    malibu200786
    How much is a cat D repaired 10 year old car worth ?
    • 9th Jun 17, 6:56 AM
    How much is a cat D repaired 10 year old car worth ? 9th Jun 17 at 6:56 AM
    Hello I'm looking at 2007 Skoda Octavia vrs , in the blue colour , which has the touch screen satnav system in .
    The car itself had its cat D in 2009 , only had 2 owners altogether .
    The last keeper since 2009 .
    The car is the petrol 2.0 tfsi and has done 106000 miles , but only has very little service history with it I'm guessing because when it became a cat D they decided it wasn't worth it to take it but just done it themselves.

The car is in really good condition , the engine is smooth it drives straight and smooth , the bodywork is in really good condition no dents or scratches , other than stonechips to the front end , but this is to be expected on a 2007 car I suppose ?

The seller has offered £2800 with new mot and warranty
    Is this too much for a cat D ?

I went looking at a 2008 model with 136000 miles on it with full service history including 2 cambelt changes , but the bodywork was a lot more scratched and had quite a few small dents in it , and didn't feel quite has smooth but wasn't a cat D , they want £3300 .
Page 1
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 9th Jun 17, 9:10 AM
    • 5,049 Posts
    • 4,498 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:10 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:10 AM
    Do you have any record as to the damage/repair? To write it off at 2 years old means it must have been fairly substantial.

Do you have a record of the belt change? If not, then budget for doing that right away.
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 9th Jun 17, 9:16 AM
    • 690 Posts
    • 1,597 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:16 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:16 AM
    You need to know what the value is of an undamaged car of the same age.

The car is 10 years old and I presume has been OK since its repair in 2009, the current owner has kept it since then.

I would say 20-30% off market value.

But check it thoroughly esp for rust.
    • malibu200786
    • By malibu200786 9th Jun 17, 9:25 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    malibu200786
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:25 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:25 AM
    Thanks for the reply , I'm not sure about the what the cat D actually was , is they an insurance database the public can access to retrieve data?

I couldn't see any obvious repaired panels , the rear panel looked nice and straight , maybe been a front end .
    No history of cambelt I do have money to get this done if I buy this one as its only £2800 ,
    I worked 10 years in a accident repair centre , so I do all my own services and other repairs I just don't touch the cambelt myself .

These cars are priced so differently from sellers ones more expensive but still with high miles and ones about same price to £3200 but the ones ive viewed have been a mess so I don't know what to decide .

Overall would £2800 be worth it for a cat D of this age , it has been driving around fine since 2009 and checked not history online and passed them all .
    • malibu200786
    • By malibu200786 9th Jun 17, 9:35 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    malibu200786
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:35 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:35 AM
    A trader valuation says , £2920 private , and from dealer £3540-£3880 .
    I am buying off a dealer .
    The valuation is based on good condition but obviously its a cat D , although the bodywork is the best ive viewed yet and its got the touch screen satnav and xenon's which a lot don't have as these where expensive extras
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 9th Jun 17, 9:42 AM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 869 Thanks
    MEM62
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:42 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:42 AM
    Personally, that model, that age and with that history I would be reluctant to make any offer that exceeds three-figures
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 9th Jun 17, 9:47 AM
    • 14,993 Posts
    • 8,430 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:47 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:47 AM
    Personally, that model, that age and with that history I would be reluctant to make any offer that exceeds three-figures
    Originally posted by MEM62
    Good luck with that. Its worth far more than that.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 9th Jun 17, 9:49 AM
    • 14,993 Posts
    • 8,430 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:49 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:49 AM

The seller has offered £2800 with new mot and warranty
    Is this too much for a cat D ?
    Originally posted by malibu200786
    I think its a reasonable price.

07 comparable non Cat D cars are £4,500 ish upwards (theres one 08 car on AT for less mind you).
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 9th Jun 17, 9:50 AM
    • 14,993 Posts
    • 8,430 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:50 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:50 AM
    Do you have any record as to the damage/repair? To write it off at 2 years old means it must have been fairly substantial.
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    Conversely, its been on the road long enough and been through enough MOTs for any accident related gremlins to have been bottomed out
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 9th Jun 17, 9:52 AM
    • 14,993 Posts
    • 8,430 Thanks
    motorguy
    Have you checked the online MOT history check to check for mileage and also done your own comprehensive HPI check?
    • malibu200786
    • By malibu200786 9th Jun 17, 10:28 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    malibu200786
    No ive not done my own hpi check . which is the best company to do it from regarding cheap price good check ?

Which 08 plate is it ? Where is it based . how many miles is it on ? If you don't mind of course .
    Also this metallic blue colour does seem to sell for more .

Yea its passed evey mot , advisory on a tyre the second to last one I think , it covered most of the miles in the first few years , that's its averaged around 7000 a year , obviously some more some less .
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 9th Jun 17, 1:02 PM
    • 5,049 Posts
    • 4,498 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Conversely, its been on the road long enough and been through enough MOTs for any accident related gremlins to have been bottomed out
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Or just that the damage hasn't affected the MOT or put off the owner. You're probably right though - if it had ruined the car the owner wouldn't have kept it for 8 years.

I'd still be very careful about buying it, and would insist on finding out what the damage was, though that'd probably involve talking to the previous owner*. Could have been a stolen/recovered?

*Which may also tell you how much the dealer paid for it.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 9th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    • 14,993 Posts
    • 8,430 Thanks
    motorguy
    No ive not done my own hpi check . which is the best company to do it from regarding cheap price good check ?

Which 08 plate is it ? Where is it based . how many miles is it on ? If you don't mind of course .
    Also this metallic blue colour does seem to sell for more .

Yea its passed evey mot , advisory on a tyre the second to last one I think , it covered most of the miles in the first few years , that's its averaged around 7000 a year , obviously some more some less .
    Its this metallic blue one...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201705275874779?sort=sponsored&make=SKODA&advertis ing-location=at_cars&fuel-type=Petrol&aggregatedTrim=vRS&year-from=2007&radius=1500&maximum-mileage=125000&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly %20New&onesearchad=New&postcode=bt622hb&model=OCTA VIA&page=1

... although i notice its had some performance mods.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 9th Jun 17, 2:01 PM
    • 14,993 Posts
    • 8,430 Thanks
    motorguy
    I'd probably run with HPI themselves or i think the last one i did was via the RAC. Dont use a cheapie one.
    • malibu200786
    • By malibu200786 9th Jun 17, 2:22 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    malibu200786
    Im not allowed to post links , its not that one . if you search in cargurus website , Skoda Octavia vrs in Manchester , and refine results to cat d , it will come its on for £2995
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 9th Jun 17, 2:24 PM
    • 14,993 Posts
    • 8,430 Thanks
    motorguy
    Im not allowed to post links , its not that one . if you search in cargurus website , Skoda Octavia vrs in Manchester , and refine results to cat d , it will come its on for £2995
    You asked me for info on the 08 one? I posted the link
    • malibu200786
    • By malibu200786 9th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    malibu200786
    Sorry I missed read your post I thought you searched for the one this post is about . anyway you which one I mean now lol , the one you mean is nearly 300miles away from me unluckily.
    Ive just been on a test drive and it drove good but check the coolant was ok before set off , and when come back after 15min run it was nearly empty and there was water/coolant on undertray . the dealer said if its a pipe or radiator he'll do it for 2800 fixed with new mot , but if its water pump he will do the timing belt kit plus water pump for 2900 which I don't think is that bad because I would of done that anyway after warranty had ended .
    But could it be cylinder head or engine block ?
    He took to garage and he said hell get back if its fixable I can transfer a deposit .
    What do you think ? What would you do ?
    I mean by fixable eg a pipe rad or water pump , if its a cracked block or sumat it'll obviously not be worth anything
    • malibu200786
    • By malibu200786 9th Jun 17, 2:31 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    malibu200786
    Have a look at the advert for me of the one I mean
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 9th Jun 17, 2:33 PM
    • 14,993 Posts
    • 8,430 Thanks
    motorguy
    Sorry I missed read your post I thought you searched for the one this post is about . anyway you which one I mean now lol , the one you mean is nearly 300miles away from me unluckily.
    Ive just been on a test drive and it drove good but check the coolant was ok before set off , and when come back after 15min run it was nearly empty and there was water/coolant on undertray . the dealer said if its a pipe or radiator he'll do it for 2800 fixed with new mot , but if its water pump he will do the timing belt kit plus water pump for 2900 which I don't think is that bad because I would of done that anyway after warranty had ended .
    But could it be cylinder head or engine block ?
    He took to garage and he said hell get back if its fixable I can transfer a deposit .
    What do you think ? What would you do ?
    I mean by fixable eg a pipe rad or water pump , if its a cracked block or sumat it'll obviously not be worth anything
    "normally" if its an exterior leak its not cyl head or block - they usually leak inwards.

A major problem first time i drove it would personally put me off it though....

I am sure there are others who'd be happy enough - that would just be my view on it.
    • malibu200786
    • By malibu200786 9th Jun 17, 2:51 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    malibu200786
    So even if the issue was fixed in the price you wouldn't buy it ?
    How much power should a 2.0 tfsi have ?
    At low speeds I didn't seem to have much more than my 1.9tdi 130pd ive got at the min
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,145Posts Today

9,233Users online

Martin's Twitter