Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 9th Jun 17, 6:09 AM
    • 2,728Posts
    • 36,521Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Friday 9 June 2017
    • 9th Jun 17, 6:09 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 9 June 2017 9th Jun 17 at 6:09 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 9 June 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Sun shining, wind eased off, dry underfoot and feels warmer. Load of washing ready to go out on the line.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Dinner last night was beef with mushrooms in gravy, mash, carrots, broc, cauli in cheese sauce, ice cream for those that wanted some. Not sure what tonight's dinner will be, something easy though.

I wasn't particularly productive yesterday, but did get some loads of washing done, but need to continue with that today. I will also do the ironing as i'm working tomorrow morning. I managed to get a docs appointment as I suspected it's a viral thing and so other than managing the pain there's nothing I can be given. Having said that yesterday I really didn't do much, so a very lazy day, although I made an effort with a nice dinner, and I feel so much better this morning, throat is not right but much better.

So today - I'll be heading to the SM first thing to do the food shopping, I have a nail appointment at lunchtime too, so a fairly busy day. I will try to get the hoover thrown round too.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 09-06-2017 at 6:24 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 2
    • Judi
    • By Judi 9th Jun 17, 10:48 AM
    • 14,746 Posts
    • 58,657 Thanks
    Judi
    Well this morning sees us all in a bit of a mess still i am sure it will right itself in the end
    I hope your right.

Morning all,

raining cats and dogs here. Even the hounds had to be forcibly ejected... even 'blackun' who is a hardy little thing. Both of them have been trimmed and look so much better for it.

Hopefully will be food shopping later. It gives us the whole weekend to do what we want to do.

I'm now braced for months of "we should have emigrated years ago" type rants from the hubby. Its rubbish being me.... still smiling though.

Onwards and forwards,

have a great day all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 9th Jun 17, 11:14 AM
    • 14,777 Posts
    • 119,037 Thanks
    JackieO
    Feeling a tad sleepy this morning as I was on my lap-top watching the events last night .Hopefully it will all be sorted out at some point.
    Nice natter with DGS in NYC last night as well.He seems to be enjoying himself in his new life out there, he still has to travel around quite a bit ,he is off to Tampa in a weeks time on business, but he is quite happy as Hayley his wife is over there with him so she looks after him very well and together they are building their little nest.

This afternoon is History and I am not too sure what our subject will be yet.
    DGS Henry has another two exams today, and DGS Jack has an AS one as well.Both the boys are really working hard so I think once the exams are finished I will take them out for a nice lunch somewhere.

Tomorrow is my DDs works summer fete.She is a business manager at a special needs school and I always like to go to support the children there .usually find a few books to buy on the stalls and a cake or two always goes down well ,even though I bake myself I know the school struggles to fund things for the children. I won a bottle of single malt scotch last fete I went to, and promptly re-sold it to the caretaker there for £10.00 as I don't drink the stuff win-win we were both happy as he said the bottle is normally about £30

New potatoes (left overs) broccoli ( also left over) and steamed fish (from freezer) for dinner tonight a bit more used up from my freezer and no reason to go to the shops . (th of June and still not gone near a food shop I am really using up as much as possible from the stuff indoors Ten weeks today until our family holiday
    The weather is nice and bright here this morning and after the gardeners visit yesterday the lawn is looking lovely and neat .

Hope you all have a good day I shall probably have a small nap before lunch to try and catch up on my lost sleep getting far too old to pull all nighters

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • elona
    • By elona 9th Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    • 10,954 Posts
    • 56,979 Thanks
    elona
    Was chatting last night to a dd who was dreading a landslide for TM. She was surprised when I said that through the years I had learned not to take anything for granted and would not be surprised if we had a hung parliament or coalition.

This morning she thinks I am uncanny!

Just been upstairs and stripped two double beds and a day bed and loaded the washing machine. It looks as if the three spare bedrooms will be in use tomorrow night so want to get bedding sorted and cardboard boxes emptied.

Managed to empty two large cardboard boxes but have some things that are various daughters so they will need to make a decision. Will potter upstairs and sort out a few more boxes but trying to pace myself as my knees are stiff and I tire easily just now.

I made spicy chicken and rice yesterday so have three portions to freeze which will come in handy. Have to keep dashing into the garden when it looks like rain and hoping not to have to resort to the tumble drier.

csarina

Good luck with what is likely to be an awkward conversation.

Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 9th Jun 17, 1:48 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 2,284 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hello all
    Dad came for tea last night and I sent him home with a goody bag which included a bottle of medicine as his chest is acting up again.
    Had a lovely sleep last night but still woke up extremely tired .
    Have been to town to do the banking, restock the medicine and have a small wander, then called in L*dl for bread, milk and more fruit.
    I was in a quandary whether to do any washing because it was raining this morning but have done two loads as the basket was full. It is now on the whirly as the sun has come out.
    Not doing much this afternoon as I feel exhausted ( no idea why ) so tea will be easy, just bacon, sausage, black pudding, beans with an egg for me.
    TA we have had the same type of problem with the water puddling and we bought two extra monsoon poles which stretched from the van to the front of the awning and it seems to have cured our problem. Maybe a thought ?
    Hugs to all and enjoy the rest of the day.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 9th Jun 17, 6:00 PM
    • 5,439 Posts
    • 31,093 Thanks
    Gers
    Evening all.

Made it round a visit to the dentist, a trip to Sainsbob, a longer visit to MrW and a brief drop in to T*sco! Three big bags later and I got my DM home. She was very unbalanced today but blames the phase of the moon for it, who knows!

DM was late getting ready, late enough to not use the bus so I risked driving down GWR to the dentist. It's on a crescent just off GWR so I was dead chuffed to find a parking space right outside it. I'll remember that for future visits.

Just when all the steels outside her building have been taken down a new set appeared this morning. Her opposite neighbour was having new windows installed, at least it'll be all taken down very soon. After the horrendous week of noise and mess whilst the internal supporting steel beams were installed, today the plasterers were tapping for blown plaster and then replastering. Luckily DM is mostly deaf and I don't live there!

My trip home was lovely but really really really slow! If I wasn't behind an overseas visitor admiring the views there would be a wagon of tree trunks in front. I detoured again down Faslane for the peaceful roads and the beauty of the Holy Loch.

When I arrived at the main town there was a magical Ger's shaped space outside the Chinese takeaway, it was made for me and I didn't want to disappoint. Now I'm full up and happy.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 9th Jun 17, 6:34 PM
    • 3,596 Posts
    • 27,514 Thanks
    Floss
    When I arrived at the main town there was a magical Ger's shaped space outside the Chinese takeaway, it was made for me and I didn't want to disappoint. Now I'm full up and happy.
    Originally posted by Gers
    Sounds like a Chinese tea was meant to happen!
    • Gers
    • By Gers 9th Jun 17, 7:15 PM
    • 5,439 Posts
    • 31,093 Thanks
    Gers
    Sounds like a Chinese tea was meant to happen!
    Originally posted by Floss
    If there's a parking space next to it then it's meant to be! Only worked three times in the past four months or so but that's enough.

• caronc
    • By caronc 9th Jun 17, 7:27 PM
    • 1,631 Posts
    • 10,288 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone, thanks to nmlc for starting the thread and hugs to anyone that needs it.

I didn't sit up last night by my son texted me around 6 re the outcome. No doubt as they say it will all come out in the wash but the next couple of weeks should be interesting.

Still caught up in the fridge/freezer saga..... so today has been interesting to say the least. Put it this way I will never trust my Dad to measure anything again. The space it needs to go in is quite small so not much wiggle room size wise. Unbeknown to me my Dad had measured his old fridge/freezer in inches and then incorrectly converted it to cms why he didn't use the measuring tape with both I don't know or at least give me the inches measurement. He had used 2.84 cms to the inch and told me his old one was 59.5 cm and there was an inch of space on either side. Anyhow 60 cm wide ordered which of course didn't fit or could have been rammed in but there would have been no ventilation space. So a panicked phone from my Dad first thing ensued with me trying to get my act together to balance enough to get a taxi to his house. The guys took the new one away and gave us a number to call and said not to worry. I have to say AO have been brilliant, I phoned and explained and another one is coming tomorrow. No extra charge for delivering again and they were extremely sympathetic and helpful.

Younger son home tonight around 9 so a quick haddock, HM wedges and salad for dinner.

I hope everyone has a good evening x
    Feb GC £122/£100, Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,823Posts Today

6,438Users online

Martin's Twitter