Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 9th Jun 17, 4:54 AM
    • 12,122Posts
    • 11,474Thanks
    jenniewb
    Tooth extraction question
    • 9th Jun 17, 4:54 AM
    Tooth extraction question 9th Jun 17 at 4:54 AM
    OK so I've just had my tooth (a molar) extracted (long story following a fracture and several infections)

I was given a whole load of information following the extraction, but it was a bit of a big deal for me and I didn't take much in beyond "if it keeps bleeding use these swabs"...
    I do know there were no stitches and the wisom tooth behind the removed molar was removed several years ago already.

I so far have managed to read bits and peices on Google saying don't brush, or brush but avoiding the area, rinse with salt water but only 24 hours after the extraction, take pain killers and to eat a very soft diet-nothing that crunches or has small particles involved (eg rice).

What I am not so sure on is how long until it's OK to eat foods which need to be chewed again without risking any damage, how long until I can brush the area properly (I normally brush my teeth thoroughly and worry/feel uncomfortable about not being able to brush half my mouth).

It feels bruised but it's nothing compared to the pain I was in when it had become infected!
Page 2
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 16th Jun 17, 9:58 AM
    • 8,670 Posts
    • 10,331 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    Turns out I have a dry socket now and an infection (literally) the other side of my mouth....I thought I did everything right! Maybe I jumped the gun in terms of chewing things again, I thought I was good to go after 2 days of various types of miso soup, soya based hot drinks and salt water rinses, but I guess I got that wrong :/ Though I think the infection was happening before the tooth came out.

Not sure if the dry socket is my fault or not, my dentist seems to think they can happen to anyone randomly sometimes.

Which means I am now unsure if I need to change anything or if there really wasn't anything I could have done- I wasn't even at the point where I was eating things that 'crunched', steamed vegetables and cherry tomatoes were about as "crunchy" as I had gotten.

Hoping things work out better after the antibiotics. At least I remember what I was told after this appointment!

Thanks everyone for your help. Sorry for the lactose/lactase dairy confusion, I know what I mean even if I make no sense to anyone else!
    Originally posted by jenniewb
    They do occur quite randomly, although they are a lot more common in smokers (so you're doubly unlucky) Antibiotics aren't really that much help - but although they can be very painful - they do get better themselves after a few days.

NOT eating for longer would not have helped! There is a bit of an argument that eating SOONER might have! If the socket had been disrupted a bit more and fresh bleeding had been gently stimulated by chewing normal food - the washing action of the fresh bleeding MIGHT have helped. This is not scientific though - just my thoughts on it. That's why my GENERAL advice to my patients is to eat pretty normally from the next day. And my patients still get infected sockets every now and again.

As always though - go on the advice of your own dentist and ask questions of your own dentist rather than goodness knows who on an internet forum.
    Last edited by Toothsmith; 16-06-2017 at 10:39 AM.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 17th Jun 17, 1:05 AM
    • 284 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    ask questions of . . . goodness knows who on an internet forum
    who say, "Here is some free advice, and if I'm wrong, I'll give you your money back".
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,061Posts Today

6,785Users online

Martin's Twitter