Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Roadrider
    • By Roadrider 8th Jun 17, 9:28 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Roadrider
    Any advice appreciated.
    • 8th Jun 17, 9:28 PM
    Any advice appreciated. 8th Jun 17 at 9:28 PM
    Hi,
    The following was the initial email I sent to Halfords in Manchester;

My son's 2005 Ford Focus developed a slight steering fluid leak from a pipe which he got checked out by our mechanic. As he couldn't get the car booked in for a few days, he was advised to keep the system topped up until it was fixed, as it was only a minor leak.

He was advised to use ATF to top it up by the mechanic.

On Wednesday the 3rd of May my son called in to Halfords at White City, Manchester and also contacted me to confirm which fluid to buy and I advised him as did our mechanic to purchase ATF. As he is not experienced with cars, I told him to check with one of the staff to ensure that he purchased the correct product.

My son asked one of the staff members who asked him for the registration number of his car and told him that it wasn't ATF he needed but MVCHF central hydraulic fluid. My son told him what I and the mechanic had advised regards ATF and the staff member told him in no uncertain terms that the mechanic was wrong and his advice was to use the MVCHF. My son took his advice and used the MVCHF. The leak worsened and consequently damaged the fluid pump. The mechanic confirmed that he was given the wrong advice to purchase the wrong fluid, which has damaged the pump, which was working fine when he examined it. As a result the mechanic had to replace the pump and flush the whole system out to clear the wrong fluid.

The pump had to be replaced which cost £150 plus the extra labour to flush the system out, the bill coming to £250.00.

My son doesn't earn much and as a result of following the wrong advice given by your staff member is now out of pocket to the tune of £200.00, which I have had to pay!

I hold your staff member and ultimately Halfords liable for the damage to the pump and extra labour as a result of providing the wrong advice and would like to be reimbursed for this.

I filled in a claim form Halfords sent me and included a report from the mechanic stating that in his opinion that the wrong fluid supplied caused damage to the pump.

Halfords have finally admitted to supplying my son with the wrong fluid but stated that the pump could only be damaged after 'prolonged' use with the wrong fluid and only offered a refund on the 2 bottles of fluid purchased at £20. My son had in fact used the car for 5 days and as he works as an estate agent, also uses his car to drive to viewings etc. thereby causing damage to the pump through continual topping up whilst covering a fair few miles.

Halfords are not prepared to enter into any further correspondence, leaving me considering either taking legal action or trying to get some compensation for their mistake through the small claims court. Not having dealt with a civil matter such as this, I'd be grateful for any advice on whether it's worth pursing and by what means.
    Thanks
Page 1
    • docmatt
    • By docmatt 8th Jun 17, 9:41 PM
    • 713 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    docmatt
    • 8th Jun 17, 9:41 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 9:41 PM
    The pump was fooked to start with which is why it leaked but yes the wrong fluid didnt help though.

You've tried your best and got a refund on the fluid. It's not worth going further and getting stressed over £200
    • payandisplay
    • By payandisplay 8th Jun 17, 9:42 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    payandisplay
    • 8th Jun 17, 9:42 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 9:42 PM
    I would swallow it and move on. Legal action takes time and money.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 8th Jun 17, 9:46 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 8th Jun 17, 9:46 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 9:46 PM
    I don't think you can prove the pump wasn't faulty before you went to Halfords so don't waste any money taking them to court.

Advice is don't use them again.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 8th Jun 17, 9:51 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 8th Jun 17, 9:51 PM
    Best to research what you need on the internet or use the car handbook that should have the fluids specified for your car listed in it. Failing either of those, a Haynes manual lists fluids.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 8th Jun 17, 9:51 PM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 1,751 Thanks
    waamo
    Best advice is never, ever, ever use Halfords. The same applies to Kwik Fit. As others have said the pump was faulty anyway so legal action may cost more than you recover.
    This space for hire.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 9th Jun 17, 12:12 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • 9th Jun 17, 12:12 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 12:12 AM
    the pump could only be damaged after 'prolonged' use with the wrong fluid
    The leak worsened and consequently damaged the fluid pump.
    It sounds more as if the leak worsened ( as they do ) and then the pump was damaged by having not enough fluid for a while, rather than that it was the wrong fluid. If the pump is still available you could have it checked by the manufacturer to confirm either way, but that would probably cost much more than £200, and then you only have a possibility of getting back a much larger amount. They would probably claim "betterment", as the vehicle is only designed for 10 years and was 12 years old.

Did Halfords explain how the wrong fluid was offered ? Did they misunderstand which part of the car it was for, mistype the registration number etc. ?
    • m_c
    • By m_c 9th Jun 17, 10:06 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    m_c
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:06 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:06 AM
    Mk1 (98-05) focus's use ATF, Mk2 (04-11) use CHF.

It's highly unlikely the fluid itself would of caused the leak to worsen, or the pump to fail. It's far more likely the leak got worse, and the pump got run dry.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 9th Jun 17, 6:55 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • 9th Jun 17, 6:55 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 6:55 PM
    Update from me, after some more thought.
    The Halfords web-site clearly says that MVCHF must not be mixed with ATF. You might have a very hard time proving it damaged the pump ; but the flushing was needed as a direct consequence of putting in the ( "mis-sold" ) fluid, so it might be worth asking for the mechanic's labour cost and "rinsing" agent.

If a garage forecourt pump dispensed petrol instead of Diesel, and a customer filled up, they can avoid engine damage by not starting it. However, they would still need a "fuel doctor" to empty and flush the tank. I think we'd all expect the garage to foot that bill.
    • Roadrider
    • By Roadrider 10th Jun 17, 12:42 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Roadrider
    Thank you all for your advice and I guess I'd best put it down to experience and take the £20 they have offered.

Halfords.....never again!
    • Retrogamer
    • By Retrogamer 10th Jun 17, 12:57 PM
    • 3,695 Posts
    • 3,685 Thanks
    Retrogamer
    Thank you all for your advice and I guess I'd best put it down to experience and take the £20 they have offered.

Originally posted by Roadrider
    Since the leak seems to have vanished when the mechanic has changed the power steering pump. i'm assuming the original power steering pump was leaking and regardless of the flue Halfords gave him, it would need to have been replaced anyway.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 11th Jun 17, 2:11 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    Halfords [ advice ] never again!

Maybe not their autocentres either.
    h p://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-32283758
    • Retrogamer
    • By Retrogamer 11th Jun 17, 10:56 AM
    • 3,695 Posts
    • 3,685 Thanks
    Retrogamer
    Halfords [ advice ] never again!

Maybe not their autocentres either.
    h p://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-32283758
    Originally posted by Geoff1963
    I've worked in a few garages including Nissan / Renault dealerships in the past and seen a lot of the younger mechanics thrash people's cars on a test drive if they brought in something nice.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 11th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    Ditto for secure car parking.

Sign in an American restaurant :
    The valet who just parked your car, doesn't work here.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,912Posts Today

8,952Users online

Martin's Twitter