Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hansug
    • By hansug 8th Jun 17, 8:18 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    hansug
    Final electricity bill ridiculous!!
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:18 PM
    Final electricity bill ridiculous!! 8th Jun 17 at 8:18 PM
    Hi all,
    We switched our electricity supplier to Flow Energy last April (2016) and have been paying between £25 and £51 per month as a direct debit (they increased it last Christmas). We decided to switch to EDF since our tariff had ended this April so we went through the process again and supplied a final meter reading to our new suppliers.
    We've just received a final bill from Flow for £1300!!! This is just for our electricity!! We are feeling very stressed about this. We live in a 4 bedroom converted chapel but we both work and are all out of the house 4 days a week...
    Any idea why the bill would be so huge???? They seem to have worked out our consumption based on estimated readings over the last year and now have our final reading which puts it at this huge amount!!! How can this be right???
    Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • NeverInDebt
    • By NeverInDebt 8th Jun 17, 8:28 PM
    • 2,552 Posts
    • 3,015 Thanks
    NeverInDebt
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:28 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:28 PM
    Only one way to stop high bills like this apart from cutting down is supply regular meter readings. The energy company isnt to know how much you consume its therefore within your own interest.

I assume you are all electric as heating is usually the main culprit for high usage

£25 and £51 per month is quite low to pay per month I average throughout the year £85 (dual fuel) and I am in credit

Your best supplying your actually usage here per kWh
    Last edited by NeverInDebt; 08-06-2017 at 8:38 PM.
    • hansug
    • By hansug 8th Jun 17, 8:31 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hansug
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:31 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:31 PM
    No we have a gas heating system which is why I'm so confused at the cost! And we've only been with them for a year and have paid DD each month...
    • NeverInDebt
    • By NeverInDebt 8th Jun 17, 8:34 PM
    • 2,552 Posts
    • 3,015 Thanks
    NeverInDebt
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:34 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:34 PM
    In that case seems quite a high catch up bill what was your usage in kWh per annum?

As rough reference I consumed 4005 kWh per Year for 3 adults for electric, no heating hot water, or showering all done by gas boiler.
    • bob bank spanker
    • By bob bank spanker 8th Jun 17, 8:35 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 746 Thanks
    bob bank spanker
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:35 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:35 PM
    £25 is almost as low as to not be believable, and £51 would still only cover smaller properties.

That you're out 4 days a week doesn't really differentiate you from other people, which leaves the size of your house - above average. I would therefore expect your consumption to be above average.

When you consider "average" consumption is about £90 a month, it would seem like you've been significantly underpaying.

The supplier is only obliged to read your meter once every 2 years, everything else is down to you. I'm afraid this is an expensive lesson that you need to supply regular readings, ideally monthly. Normally, a positive is that they will allow you to pay this off in installments, although if you're leaving they will want you to pay this off now.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 8th Jun 17, 8:39 PM
    • 2,919 Posts
    • 1,696 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:39 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:39 PM
    If you'd been checking your bills and meter readings over the past year or so you'd have seen that you weren't paying enough to cover your consumption and that the bills were being estimated.

It's up to you to check your bills or statements against your meter and get any estimated ones corrected otherwise you get ginormous bills when the meter eventually gets read.

Nearly all the complaints and whinges on this forum are due to people not taking responsibilty for their bills or payments and then getting stung when they either try to change supplier or their existing supplier reads their meters.

All you can do is pay the bill and move on, taking a bit more care in checking or ask you existing supplier for a bit more time to pay but still putting five minutes effort in once a month to make sure that they get up to date readings.

By reading the meter yourself you'll also know how much energy you are using and possibly be able to do something about reducing your consumption - it;s too late late when the ginormous bill come in as you've already used it.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • hansug
    • By hansug 8th Jun 17, 8:47 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hansug
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:47 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:47 PM
    We've not had any bills from Flow Energy until this final one. We've had email correspondence stating they were increasing our DD in December but that's it!
    Surely a usage of £1600+ a year for electricity alone is ridiculous?! We didn't pay anywhere near that much previously with Npower... and nothing has changed in the house!!
    And I don't appreciate the comments that I'm whinging, I came to ask for opinions and advice, not insults. We pay by DD as we have very little time to monitor things as accurately as we'd like as we both work (I'm a teacher) and we have a severely disabled child who takes up all our spare time...
    Thanks you for your replies.
    It seems that we will have to pay it but we don't have that kind of money to hand. If We cannot pay then would Flow Energy allow us to return to them until the balance is payed off? There is no way we can afford that right now!!
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 8th Jun 17, 10:28 PM
    • 2,919 Posts
    • 1,696 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 8th Jun 17, 10:28 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 10:28 PM
    Most energy companies provide on-line statements, it just requires you to log-in now and again. Having to go to work isn't really an excuse for not checking energy bills. I used to do mine when I was at work even though I could be away from home abroad for several weeks or even months at a time. We are all busy but it's not an excuse for not doing important stuff.

Likewise I used to check my bank account to make sure that my salary was being paid and my account was in reasonable shape. It's just basic housekeeping

I'd agree that £1600 a year sounds a lot but if you haven't been checking your meter you don't know whether it's right or wrong. All you can do is go back to the previous actual reading and check. I'm assuming that you have had at least one actual reading before this final one so you can check what you've used.

If you dont do it yourself you can't check if a meter reading error has crept in or even if the meter has gone haywire.
    Last edited by matelodave; 08-06-2017 at 10:30 PM.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 8th Jun 17, 11:01 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 589 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • 8th Jun 17, 11:01 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 11:01 PM
    Is there a way to do the calculation of how much electricity they think you used each day, and then convert this into an average power ? E.g. A 3kW kettle is 72 kWh / day
    If the average is more than your house can draw, then you might have a case that it is too big, but I expect not. Some people grow crops in their loft, and that uses a lot of power - I'm told.

The bill is big, and a shock, but if you have paid too little by D-D each month, then you've effectively had a interest-free loan ( but in reverse ) ; so the demand for £1300 is actually maybe "only" £1200 or £1000, depending on the interest rate for any borrowing / saving you have. That might soften the feeling a little. Most people complain when the D-D is too high, and the power company is getting a free loan of them.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 9th Jun 17, 12:31 AM
    • 321 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    House Martin
    The final reading could well be a load of old tosh. £1600 a year is ridiculous ..Have you got an old dial meter with the 6 revolving dials with pointers ?..These are notorious for being read incorrectly especially when the pointers are on borders.. Meter readers get them wrong and the public are even worse..Also digital meters get read incorrect with 4 and 9 and 1 and 7 getting mixed if the meter is very low
    Last edited by House Martin; 09-06-2017 at 12:33 AM.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 9th Jun 17, 7:00 AM
    • 3,462 Posts
    • 1,366 Thanks
    footyguy
    Hi all,
    We switched our electricity supplier to Flow Energy last April (2016) and have been paying between £25 and £51 per month as a direct debit (they increased it last Christmas). We decided to switch to EDF since our tariff had ended this April so we went through the process again and supplied a final meter reading to our new suppliers.
    We've just received a final bill from Flow for £1300!!! This is just for our electricity!! We are feeling very stressed about this. We live in a 4 bedroom converted chapel but we both work and are all out of the house 4 days a week...
    Any idea why the bill would be so huge???? They seem to have worked out our consumption based on estimated readings over the last year and now have our final reading which puts it at this huge amount!!! How can this be right???
    Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by hansug
    Your bill is that size presumably as it reflects the cost of the energy you consumed according to what the meter recorded and the tariff you agreed to.

Am I correct?
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 9th Jun 17, 8:39 AM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 1,955 Thanks
    EachPenny
    ...I'm afraid this is an expensive lesson....
    Originally posted by bob bank spanker
    ...and then getting stung...
    Originally posted by matelodave
    I know what bob bank spanker and matelodave meant by these comments, but just to clarify in case the OP isn't sure - if the final meter readings are correct then a big final bill is only to catch up with paying for what you have used, you are not being overcharged or penalised.

The amount you have 'saved' on smaller monthly direct debit bills over the year is just being charged now.

The advice of other posters is god advice - don't rely on the energy companies to get the bills right without you doing some work yourself. If you cannot afford to pay a big bill at the end of a contract then make sure you are paying the right amount each month.

On the other hand, if you can budget and pay big bills in one go, getting £1300 interest free credit for a year is a deal to be happy about. Would anyone complain if they had been taking advantage of a 12 month 0% on purchases credit card deal? Because that in effect is what you've just had.

You say the bill is only for electric - have you checked your gas meter readings too?
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 9th Jun 17, 9:34 AM
    • 2,855 Posts
    • 1,447 Thanks
    dogshome
    Something seems awry

This £1300 bill together with the £506? paid out in D/Debits adds up to £1800 for 14 months worth of Electricity.
    Might be possible for an all electric household, but the OP has Gas CH

Mis-read meter? Check the Start & End readings
    Wiring fault in the house or appliance? Turn off everything and check the meter has stopped - If it has, turn on one appliance at a time and watch meter for excess activity - If it has not stopped, call an electrician in

No bill since April 2016? - Claim Back-billing relief for April, May and possibly June 2016
    • ERICS MUM
    • By ERICS MUM 9th Jun 17, 9:49 AM
    • 3,416 Posts
    • 6,353 Thanks
    ERICS MUM
    How much have you actually used since you've been with them ? What tariff ? Do the calculations to see if you arrive at £1300 plus what you've paid by DD.

Are you sure that the 'start' reading and final reading are both correct ?
    • ctdctd
    • By ctdctd 9th Jun 17, 10:06 AM
    • 830 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    ctdctd
    Go and read your meter now.
    Look at your closing bill from Flow and find the closing reading they used.
    Look at your last bill from Npower and your first bill from Flow - what are the closing / opening readings - do they agree?

Post your readings (Opening / Closing / Now) here with the dates taken and we will be able to guess if the bills are correct!
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
    • hansug
    • By hansug 9th Jun 17, 10:59 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hansug
    Thanks everyone. Have been doing some digging as it's not as straightforward as it seems- the property was my parents and we bought it from them. Up until last April when we switched, the Npower account was in my dad's name as there was a major on going dispute with Npower regarding their gas bills (all dealt with now and entirely them at fault!).
    My dad is looking for our final bill from npower to check the start meter reading but in looking he has found one from May 2015 which was for just over 9000 units (it's a newly refurbished property so only 3.5 years old). Flow have us down as starting at just over 12000 units but it's a deemed reading as it appears they didn't use the one we entered when we switched (no idea why!). The meter is currently reading 28800 which means they think we've used 16000 units in a year!!! This seems crazy...
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 9th Jun 17, 11:07 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    Silly question but were any other buildings converted at the same time close by? could you meter be supplying more than one property?
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 9th Jun 17, 11:20 AM
    • 2,855 Posts
    • 1,447 Thanks
    dogshome
    Never mind 2015 Elec billing from N'power, what was the actual meter reading on their Final Bill in 2016, and what was the actual meter read you gave to Flow to open the account, and what Start Reading was used by Flow and what is the reading now?
    • ctdctd
    • By ctdctd 9th Jun 17, 12:14 PM
    • 830 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    ctdctd
    If the property is 3.5 years old and the current meter reading is 28800, that suggests 8228 units a year - even that seems high for a gas heated home.
    Have you got anything electrically heated - water, underfloor heating, garage, conservatory etc etc.?
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
    • hansug
    • By hansug 9th Jun 17, 12:28 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hansug
    No we have nothing apart from the usual appliances- dishwasher, washing machine etc. Hot water is via gas.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,780Posts Today

5,296Users online

Martin's Twitter