Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • omnipeta
    • By omnipeta 8th Jun 17, 6:56 PM
    • 167Posts
    • 11Thanks
    omnipeta
    Help! lost doc's
    • 8th Jun 17, 6:56 PM
    Help! lost doc's 8th Jun 17 at 6:56 PM
    At my wits end, spent almost 2 hours completing application form/monitor form, saved both but now can't find them.
    I had a portable hard drive connected so unsure where I've saved them to?
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Closing date tomorrow!
Page 1
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 8th Jun 17, 8:01 PM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 2,213 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:01 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:01 PM
    What program were you using to fill the form in?
    Search for the default file extension for that program with the drive connected?
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 8th Jun 17, 8:21 PM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 927 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:21 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:21 PM
    Does the program you were using have a Recent Documents section?

It could be it got saved to a default location that you weren't aware of. Where have you looked so far?
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 8th Jun 17, 8:44 PM
    • 8,841 Posts
    • 4,419 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:44 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:44 PM
    That's a good suggestion above but if it doesn't pan out...
    Open the program you were using and save another document taking careful note where it is being saved to.
    Maybe windows search will locate it or if not you can try Masterseeker - http://www.master-seeker.com/ which will index network and attached drives. For the searches use * as wildcard = eg - *.pdf *form.* etc. etc.
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 8th Jun 17, 9:59 PM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 927 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    • 8th Jun 17, 9:59 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 9:59 PM
    If you do have to use Windows Search (and in a way I hope you don't as it's been ruined post-XP) first select the drive you want to search (either C or whatever letter is assigned to your portable drive), type datecreated: or datemodified: (including colons) in the search box, and pick a date from the calendar which pops up.

That's how you do it in Windows 7 anyway. I've a feeling these options might be on the ribbon in Win 8.1 / 10.
    • missile
    • By missile 8th Jun 17, 10:13 PM
    • 8,992 Posts
    • 4,371 Thanks
    missile
    • 8th Jun 17, 10:13 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 10:13 PM
    At my wits end, spent almost 2 hours completing application form/monitor form, saved both but now can't find them.
    I had a portable hard drive connected so unsure where I've saved them to?
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Closing date tomorrow!
    Originally posted by omnipeta
    Is it a word document?
    Open word
    Click on Office Button (top left)
    You will see a list of all "Recent Documents"
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • omnipeta
    • By omnipeta 9th Jun 17, 8:09 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    omnipeta
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:09 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:09 AM
    It was a Word document, I downloaded it from my e mail but as I had external drive connected (D drive) not sure whether it went there or to C drive?
    I've tried to follow your advice but as yet no luck, I know this is down to my ignorance.
    I really don't want to have to go over the whole process of filling the forms in from scratch!
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 9th Jun 17, 8:14 AM
    • 14,122 Posts
    • 76,002 Thanks
    GDB2222
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:14 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:14 AM
    It was a Word document, I downloaded it from my e mail but as I had external drive connected (D drive) not sure whether it went there or to C drive?
    I've tried to follow your advice but as yet no luck, I know this is down to my ignorance.
    I really don't want to have to go over the whole process of filling the forms in from scratch!
    It's probably in the downloads folder.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 9th Jun 17, 8:29 AM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 927 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:29 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:29 AM
    It depends how you downloaded it - if you manually downloaded it then yes it might be in the Downloads folder.

If you double clicked the file so it opened in Word then edited it and hit Save, it will be in an obscure location on the C drive. However, you should be able to retrieve it easily in Word by going to Recent Documents (from the File tab).
    • omnipeta
    • By omnipeta 9th Jun 17, 9:13 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    omnipeta
    Phew! sorted now, finally located doc's, thank you all for your advice and guidance.
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 9th Jun 17, 9:18 AM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 927 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    Phew! sorted now, finally located doc's, thank you all for your advice and guidance.
    Good news! Just out of interest, where were they?
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 9th Jun 17, 9:28 AM
    • 7,591 Posts
    • 8,191 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    It might help others if you could say which of the advice above was the key one in finding them.
    • omnipeta
    • By omnipeta 9th Jun 17, 4:58 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    omnipeta
    AnotherJoe, you are correct I will explain in the hope it might help, even though I feel a bit silly now.
    I searched the D drive (external hard drive) Word, my documents, documents, search box and Cortana all to no avail, then realised it was staring me in the face (easy to be wise after the event) I clicked om 'this PC' and bingo!
    Again, thank you all for your advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

361Posts Today

5,022Users online

Martin's Twitter