Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 8th Jun 17, 6:11 PM
    • 6,925Posts
    • 12,681Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    How often should you get work shoes replaced
    • 8th Jun 17, 6:11 PM
    How often should you get work shoes replaced 8th Jun 17 at 6:11 PM
    I work in retail and wear these uncomfortable non-slip shoes. I work 37 hours a week. I must had them around Xmas 2015 - allowing time off for sickness and annual leave, I probably worn them in excess of 2000 hours. I'm currently off sick with a bad leg, cannot stand or walk far. Suspected stress fracture has been ruled out on MRI scan. The consultant said that is a contributing factor towards my pain.
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 8th Jun 17, 6:31 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 2,121 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 8th Jun 17, 6:31 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 6:31 PM
    You had lots of good advice on the last thread that you didn't come back to.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 8th Jun 17, 9:46 PM
    • 3,526 Posts
    • 5,828 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 8th Jun 17, 9:46 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 9:46 PM
    I work in retail and wear these uncomfortable non-slip shoes. I work 37 hours a week. I must had them around Xmas 2015 - allowing time off for sickness and annual leave, I probably worn them in excess of 2000 hours. I'm currently off sick with a bad leg, cannot stand or walk far. Suspected stress fracture has been ruled out on MRI scan. The consultant said that is a contributing factor towards my pain.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    The consultant knows this as a fact? So tell him that he needs to be saying that to your employer. If they aren't willing to do that, then their opinion isn't worth anything. If they are only a "contributing factor", what are the other causes?
    • By 1886 11th Jun 17, 1:40 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:40 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:40 PM
    I don't work in retail but I do have to wear shoes with toe protection as I work in a workshop. We are allowed a new pair of shoes/boots every twelve months up to the value of £60.

I currently have a pair of very comfortable Caterpillar shoes, I could probably get a new pair but I'm more than happy with these. I would speak to your employer, 18 months is quite a long time esp for a job when you're on your feet all of the time.

You don't say whether you have to pay for them or not.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 11th Jun 17, 1:46 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 1,053 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:46 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:46 PM
    This thread is familiar, if you asked the same question already, go back to that thread and read the answers and respond there. Unless you are one of those people looking for a particular answer....
    • annie_d
    • By annie_d 11th Jun 17, 3:27 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 1,985 Thanks
    annie_d
    • 11th Jun 17, 3:27 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 3:27 PM
    i work 50 hours a week on my feet. I buy my own shoes to make my working life more comfortable. Perhaps consider that route?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 11th Jun 17, 3:58 PM
    • 32,313 Posts
    • 27,074 Thanks
    custardy
    • 11th Jun 17, 3:58 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 3:58 PM
    Be a grown up.
    They are your feet/health. My employer supplies 5 types of footwear.
    I often have to manage one of our warehouse operations,steel toecaps are mandatory.
    None of the supplied shoes work for me(I wear prescribed insoles and have wide feet). So I bought my own.
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 13th Jun 17, 12:06 AM
    • 16,966 Posts
    • 44,581 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:06 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:06 AM
    My employer has shoes you can buy out your wage but personally i went to primark and got some memory foam trainers for less than a tenner. My shoes get replaced around once every 4 months (the grease eats through them i think). So if you're not limited to type of shoe it might be possible to shop around. Memory foam is a godsend when you'e on your feet all day So even if you had to biy shoes i'd recommend insoles at least.
    "Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    weight lost: 0lbs
    • dickydonkin
    • By dickydonkin 13th Jun 17, 6:22 AM
    • 2,845 Posts
    • 2,854 Thanks
    dickydonkin
    • 13th Jun 17, 6:22 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 6:22 AM
    My employer has shoes you can buy out your wage
    Originally posted by xXMessedUpXx
    If your shoes are required for safety reasons, then your employer is breaking the law by charging you for them!

As you stated that the 'grease eats through' your shoes, this would suggest you work in an environment where you need anti-slip soles.

I would have a word with your employer and advise him of his legal obligations.
    • mattcanary
    • By mattcanary 21st Jun 17, 6:28 AM
    • 4,084 Posts
    • 3,510 Thanks
    mattcanary
    How long is a piece of string?
    Depends on the quality of the shoes, how often you wear them at work/outside of it and how quickly you wear shoes, (varies considerably from person to person). I can wear out shoes within two months - cheap ones admittedly. A record was 4 Weeks!

Surely just looking at your shoes will tell you if they need replacing??!!
    Last edited by mattcanary; 21-06-2017 at 6:30 AM.
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 21st Jun 17, 11:18 AM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    Certainly wear I work we have a responsibility to make sure our PPE (which includes shoes) is fit for purpose. If it isn't we request a change. The company can't know the condition, so its down to the employee. Some companies may have a set time frame, but if you are having issues then it would likely not apply anyway.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 6th Jul 17, 2:40 PM
    • 6,925 Posts
    • 12,681 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Last week, I went back on reduced hours then I'm on annual leave, - back at work on full hours from Sat 8th.

I was given my new free shoes and they are so uncomfortable and hurt my better foot more. Even hurt when I was sitting down!

It feels very lumpy on the inside of the left ankle. Yet running fingers over the area of the shoe, there is nothing obvious to see the cause. As the shoe is lined in trainer liner type material, its very difficult to soften it.

My health is very important to me and if I am forced to wear these shoes, I will end up with similar problems with my left leg.

I'm seeing a podiatrist next week and taking the horror shoes - both the new and worn out pairs. Seeing one as my flat feet are a contributing factor along with the shoes.

If the podiatrist or another medical person states these shoes are unsuitable for me - I'm asking this to be in writing too, would my employer have to accept this and then I can get some non slip shoes which are comfortable for me?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 6th Jul 17, 3:36 PM
    • 32,313 Posts
    • 27,074 Thanks
    custardy
    Last week, I went back on reduced hours then I'm on annual leave, - back at work on full hours from Sat 8th.

I was given my new free shoes and they are so uncomfortable and hurt my better foot more. Even hurt when I was sitting down!

It feels very lumpy on the inside of the left ankle. Yet running fingers over the area of the shoe, there is nothing obvious to see the cause. As the shoe is lined in trainer liner type material, its very difficult to soften it.

My health is very important to me and if I am forced to wear these shoes, I will end up with similar problems with my left leg.

I'm seeing a podiatrist next week and taking the horror shoes - both the new and worn out pairs. Seeing one as my flat feet are a contributing factor along with the shoes.

If the podiatrist or another medical person states these shoes are unsuitable for me - I'm asking this to be in writing too, would my employer have to accept this and then I can get some non slip shoes which are comfortable for me?
    Did you ask your employer about wearing your own shoes?...
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 6th Jul 17, 4:24 PM
    • 6,146 Posts
    • 4,682 Thanks
    ohreally

It feels very lumpy on the inside of the left ankle.
    Inform your employer the shoes are not suitable!
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 6th Jul 17, 5:07 PM
    • 6,925 Posts
    • 12,681 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I will inform them, but they only provide one type of shoe and we are not allowed to wear our own. I'm taking this with my union if they say the above.

Everyone has different feet and they should know that.
    • takman
    • By takman 6th Jul 17, 6:07 PM
    • 2,474 Posts
    • 2,061 Thanks
    takman
    I will inform them, but they only provide one type of shoe and we are not allowed to wear our own. I'm taking this with my union if they say the above.

Everyone has different feet and they should know that.
    So you have a problem with shows provided by your workplace. But instead of talking to them about it the first thing you do is post on a forum and now your thinking about getting the union involved.

Just have a sensible discussion with your employees about the problem!.

How can they solve a problem if you havnt even told them there is one?.

Yes they may have a policy that states your not allowed to wear your own but that is obviously to make sure people only wear suitable shoes. If you have a problem with them I see no reason why they won't work with you to find some suitable shoes that are also comfy for you to wear.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,646Posts Today

7,710Users online

Martin's Twitter