Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hydro-tigger
    • By hydro-tigger 8th Jun 17, 5:50 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    hydro-tigger
    0 WOW
    Best way to get cash in India
    • 8th Jun 17, 5:50 PM
    0 WOW
    Best way to get cash in India 8th Jun 17 at 5:50 PM
    We are travelling to India in 6 weeks
    The Indian Rupee cannot be taken into or out of the country so its a case of ATMs and banks
    We have got the Barclaycard Platinum Visa Credit card so we can get free cash withdrawals. but I presume this has a daily limit
    This is my dilemma
    We need to withdraw (£1,553) Rs. 126,941 for the retreat we are staying at. at the start of our holiday.
    Can anyone advise if a prepaid card would have a limit on withdrawals, if not which is the best one to get
    Or is there a better way
    Any advise would be gratefully received
Page 1
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 8th Jun 17, 6:04 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 8th Jun 17, 6:04 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 6:04 PM
    You need more cards.
    One each from Monzo
    One each from Loot

Those four will give you a daily withdrawal limit of up to £1000 per day.
    Perhaps one each from say Virgin Money Essential Current Account Issue 2 Basic account.

They will make six cards and a withdrawal limit of up to £1500 per day.

Of course if there is more than two in the party, they can just take out Monzo and/or Loot accounts. Don't neglect to verify the accounts, otherwise you will be subject to lower limits.
    • hydro-tigger
    • By hydro-tigger 8th Jun 17, 6:36 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hydro-tigger
    • 8th Jun 17, 6:36 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 6:36 PM
    thanks
    I'd rather not take out more cards as will only need to make this 1 large withdrawal
    Thats why i was asking about prepaid
    i will look at those if i don't get any other options
    thanks for replying
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 8th Jun 17, 6:38 PM
    • 8,698 Posts
    • 13,271 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 8th Jun 17, 6:38 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 6:38 PM
    See if the owners want £ or $?

I use Monzo.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • hydro-tigger
    • By hydro-tigger 8th Jun 17, 6:41 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hydro-tigger
    • 8th Jun 17, 6:41 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 6:41 PM
    the want rupees ��
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 8th Jun 17, 7:36 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 8th Jun 17, 7:36 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 7:36 PM
    thanks
    I'd rather not take out more cards as will only need to make this 1 large withdrawal
    Thats why i was asking about prepaid
    i will look at those if i don't get any other options
    thanks for replying
    Originally posted by hydro-tigger
    They are prepaid. Pay attention.
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 8th Jun 17, 8:42 PM
    • 1,641 Posts
    • 1,395 Thanks
    Ballard
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:42 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:42 PM
    I was in India last November and the ATM limit was lowered to R2,000 per day. I've just Googled and the limit was raised to R10,000 in January. It may subsequently have been raised again but in my brief search I couldn't see anything along those lines.

Whilst I was there it was impossible to exchange Sterling (or any other currency) due to the withdrawal of the R500 & R1,000 notes. Hopefully there will now be sufficient banknotes in circulation to allow foreign exchange.

I would suggest that you contact the retreat to ask them any questions. If they take cards (many places do in India nowadays) then this would probably be the easiest way to go.

It's worth me repeating that R500 & R1,000 notes are now worthless. There's a new R2,000 note with the next biggest being R100. Do not accept R500 & R1,000 notes under any circumstances.
    Last edited by Ballard; 08-06-2017 at 9:59 PM.
    I got a letter from the government the other day. I opened it and read it. It said they were suckers.
    • hydro-tigger
    • By hydro-tigger 8th Jun 17, 8:45 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hydro-tigger
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:45 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:45 PM
    sorry - oops
    I will investigate further
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 8th Jun 17, 10:23 PM
    • 2,917 Posts
    • 1,281 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 8th Jun 17, 10:23 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 10:23 PM
    Those cards cost nothing, give the best rates, and will provide backup to your Barclaycard.

Check whether the retreat venue takes card payment. Taking cash pounds to exchange there would be simp!e.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 9th Jun 17, 1:23 AM
    • 7,770 Posts
    • 7,867 Thanks
    pogofish
    Wouldn't it be a wonderful idea for MSE to devote a whole subforum to overseas currency issues?

Unless of course the purpose of your visit is just to draw money?

eta - ahem:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5619936
    Last edited by pogofish; 09-06-2017 at 1:25 AM.
    • henry24
    • By henry24 9th Jun 17, 7:54 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    henry24
    We are going later in the year on an organised tour for 18 days and the tour company says to get our visas from a company they recommend but at nearly £200 each this seems a bit dear. Do we need to or are we okay to get them from the Indian website (that I don't no how to put link for)?
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 9th Jun 17, 7:58 AM
    • 8,698 Posts
    • 13,271 Thanks
    worried jim
    We are going later in the year on an organised tour for 18 days and the tour company says to get our visas from a company they recommend but at nearly £200 each this seems a bit dear. Do we need to or are we okay to get them from the Indian website (that I don't no how to put link for)?
    Originally posted by henry24
    I got mine from the Indian Embassy no issues.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • henry24
    • By henry24 9th Jun 17, 8:08 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    henry24
    Thank you for that, that's what thought we would do.

Going back to cash would you take dollars or pounds to change there, didn't realise until I saw here you couldn't take Indian money into or out of India or just use a cash machine.
    Last edited by henry24; 09-06-2017 at 8:37 AM.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 9th Jun 17, 8:50 AM
    • 11,644 Posts
    • 7,894 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    For a stay of up to a month you can use the new online visa: this costs less than getting a standard one from the embassy and the process is much simpler.

Note that:
    1. for the online visa you MUST arrive in India by air, and they give a list of the airports where it is valid;
    2. they send the eVisa to you by email and you MUST print this so that you can give the piece of paper to the immigration officer when you arrive.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 9th Jun 17, 8:54 AM
    • 11,644 Posts
    • 7,894 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    We are travelling to India in 6 weeks
    The Indian Rupee cannot be taken into or out of the country so its a case of ATMs and banks
    We have got the Barclaycard Platinum Visa Credit card so we can get free cash withdrawals. but I presume this has a daily limit
    This is my dilemma
    We need to withdraw (£1,553) Rs. 126,941 for the retreat we are staying at. at the start of our holiday.
    Can anyone advise if a prepaid card would have a limit on withdrawals, if not which is the best one to get
    Or is there a better way
    Any advise would be gratefully received
    That is an enormous amount of money by Indian standards.

I would not be willing to pay that kind of amount in cash. Ask them if they take cards, otherwise get details of their Indian bank account and transfer the money to them using the UK branch of an Indian bank. (If searching on-line, the term NRI is likely to help you to find the money transfer service to India that you need.)
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 9th Jun 17, 9:48 AM
    • 10,690 Posts
    • 6,981 Thanks
    bigadaj
    That is an enormous amount of money by Indian standards.

I would not be willing to pay that kind of amount in cash. Ask them if they take cards, otherwise get details of their Indian bank account and transfer the money to them using the UK branch of an Indian bank. (If searching on-line, the term NRI is likely to help you to find the money transfer service to India that you need.)
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    Don't think I'd want to do a bank transfer though.
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 9th Jun 17, 2:05 PM
    • 1,641 Posts
    • 1,395 Thanks
    Ballard
    I got a e-visa for last years trip and it was all very easy. I went in through Kolkata where there was a different (and far shorter) queue. It's also much cheaper than the traditional one. If your entry port allows for e-visas then this is definitely the way to go.

It's been a few years since I last got an Indian visa but that entailed queuing for a couple of hours. India had outsourced their visa application process so rather than a trip to the High Commission in London it was a trip to an office block in Victoria. I would guess that this is still the case but you'd need to check.
    I got a letter from the government the other day. I opened it and read it. It said they were suckers.
    • Heliflyguy
    • By Heliflyguy 9th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    • 779 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    Heliflyguy
    I did an online visa application in April fairly straightforward, requires some info about your parents and places visited in the last 10 years etc.

Cost was $60 at the time £53, paid by paypal

The visa was confirmed by email the next day.

Passengers who had visas obtained from the Indian embassy in the UK were going through immigration a lot quicker on the way in, cant say that it was £150 quicker though.

If by chance you are arriving at Chhatrapati Shivaji airport in Mumbai then best not to use any of the 3 money exchange desks on exiting arrivals their rates are rubbish and have a 300 INR charge, we couldnt see any other exchange options there.

Our experience of departing from Delhi was that you need to leave plenty of time to get through security and weird for me all duty free prices are in USD.

Recommend the train from/to Agra though.
    Last edited by Heliflyguy; 09-06-2017 at 2:45 PM.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 9th Jun 17, 4:30 PM
    • 10,690 Posts
    • 6,981 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Duty free will be in hard currency, restrictions on rupees, same as other countries in which you have economic problems, they generally have an excess flow of capital out and want to control currency.
    • Heliflyguy
    • By Heliflyguy 9th Jun 17, 4:47 PM
    • 779 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    Heliflyguy
    Not sure what you mean there but I paid in INR and probably lost out on whatever rate they were giving to the USD in duty free, didnt bother to check it was enough trying to work it back USD/INR/GBP and in a rush thanks to the slow security lines.

Hmm India a country with economic problems and a space program
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,667Users online

Martin's Twitter