Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • year-zero
    • By year-zero 8th Jun 17, 5:43 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 2Thanks
    year-zero
    Is working for a call centre in your mid thirties a failure?
    • 8th Jun 17, 5:43 PM
    Is working for a call centre in your mid thirties a failure? 8th Jun 17 at 5:43 PM
    Well that's it basically. I don't have any idea what to really do with myself, so don't ask. But I'm pretty disappointed in myself.

People say that I'm smart and work hard, but I didn't do well in school or college. I spent my twenties working casually, just trying to make ends meet and survive, I've nearly been homeless a couple of times through circumstances that weren't my fault.

As far as the call centre goes, the responsibilities assigned to me are definitely some of the hardest, and my management trusts me because I get good results for the most important customers. But it's still just a call centre and there's no opportunity for progression.

One time, some customer laughed at me and said at least they had a "real" job. Maybe they were right. Am I halfway through working life and still haven't got a real job? It feels like it.
Page 2
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 10th Jun 17, 8:54 AM
    • 3,359 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    sangie595
    Damn, nice troll attempt bruh! Fingers crossed you get a reaction out of the Op huh?
    Originally posted by goatfertility
    Quite apart from the fact that it generally appears to be the case that the trolling comes from you, why would the OP react to this? The poster has observed that being spiteful to call centre staff is low - the OP is call centre staff, and somebody made a nasty comment about them. The only reaction you'd expect would be "thank you, you're right".
    • asajj
    • By asajj 10th Jun 17, 1:40 PM
    • 4,070 Posts
    • 10,034 Thanks
    asajj
    Thanks for all the positive replies. I wasn't expecting them to be honest, there are lots of good points.

But seriously, in the real world, it is considered a bit of a loser job. This really is my impression of it.

- Your accomplishments are treated as "team effort", not as your work as an individual.
    - Other departments avoid you unless they've got an angry customer to transfer to you.
    - Important changes happen, but you are the last to know.
    - You are treated like a chronically disobedient child.
    - Customers snigger when you go through the mandatory phone script. (Not in a nice way)
    - You are constantly clearing up others' mistakes.
    - Your desk position and team alignment change every 2-3 months.
    - Everyone around you is obsessed with status.
    - The people around you talk openly about drugs, partying, and casual sex, despite being 40-plus.
    - The same 40-plus people will habitually pull in sickies.
    - People outside work consider you a flake.
    - You look in the mirror and think "really?"

The stigma of working for a call centre is very real. People just flat out think you are an idiot and a loser. I've worked here for 2 years, but it's still really uncomfortable to live with working this job.
    Originally posted by year-zero
    Well, half of these at least available in "real job" environment too :P
    Do you like working there? If you are happy working there, it is no one's business to tell you that it is not a real job.

I worked at call center when I was young, after finishing uni. I didn't think to stay there for long but I didn't think it was a losers job either. I didn't have parents to back me up financially or emotionally so I had to work and support myself. If I stayed there till the mid 30s, I might feel the same as you, I don't know that.What I know is that it is not too late to change it.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 10th Jun 17, 2:32 PM
    • 13,002 Posts
    • 11,075 Thanks
    paddyrg
    People who judge your character by your job don't have worthwhile opinions. Should we call people who clean streets for instance second class because they provide a valuable public service? Of course not. Anyone who tries to make you feel insecure about where you work is themselves insecure about their own job/worth, I guarantee it. F@$% them. Really, who cares? You get up, go to a job, earn money, pay your bills, pay your taxes, there is nothing to argue against.

If YOU are bored/unhappy in the job, that's different, and you can start thinking about options from the stability of an existing job. But really nobody adult should even question, let alone snark about your work - simply none of their business
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 10th Jun 17, 3:10 PM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    I think we can all agree that op is not happy with his job.

OP get your lyfe-rite then come back and update us.

/thread
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 10th Jun 17, 5:01 PM
    • 6,822 Posts
    • 12,528 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I have worked in call centres when I was 21-27 - with about 18 months - 2 years gap in that period. Most colleagues were of that above age range - so when I was 26, I had 21 year old colleagues. Though I did see the odd person my age (36) and above.

I have been debating should I go back to call centre work at my age. The problem with call centres, they have such a high staff turnover. One CC I worked for, there were 24 of us that started together and trained in two groups. I left there 19 months later and I would say, out of the other 23, there were just 3 or 4 left. Then there many call centres have a young 'vibe' about them.

There are still CC staff in their 30s plus as when I have rang various call centres - I have spoken to over 30s. They make comments, such as 'just 2 years older than me' when stating my DOB etc.

There are positives and negatives with call centre working. Some customers, thought as because they cannot see us, they have every right to be abusive. Then we had to give them warnings to tone down their language then on the 3rd warning, the call was terminated. I wish I could dispose of the few abusive customers at my work (retail) as only security or managers can throw out abusive customers.

Some older customers prefer to speak to a more mature voice as they feel more confident about it.

There is a bank call centre I would like to work for, but one in 6 weeks, they ask their staff to do a 10pm finish. There is a car park there, but a waiting list. I don't apply for that because of that week as I am worried I will miss the bus, staying outside for 25 mins, that time of day, esp winter, isn't wonderful - no public car park for 10 min walk away either.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

277Posts Today

1,635Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin