Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 8th Jun 17, 5:26 PM
    • 81Posts
    • 51Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I ask a friend for my money back?
    • 8th Jun 17, 5:26 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I ask a friend for my money back? 8th Jun 17 at 5:26 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I bought a sofa for a friend which cost £250. It turned out not to be suitable and they sold it a couple of weeks later for £100. Who should get the money?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 12-06-2017 at 12:05 PM.
    Grab the latest MSE Deals
    Follow the Deals Team on Twitter: @MSE_Deals
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 2
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 14th Jun 17, 4:23 PM
    • 2,400 Posts
    • 3,327 Thanks
    Malthusian
    And if the OP didn't have a green username, all the responses would be along the lines of "obvious windup" "is it half term already" "DFTT".
    • nannaanna
    • By nannaanna 14th Jun 17, 4:25 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    nannaanna
    Sofa....
    If you bought the sofa as a gift for them, they are entitled to keep the money that they sold it for, regardless of what you paid.

If, however, you bought it on their behalf with them agreeing to pay you back, you really needed to set up a loan agreement between yourselves for a set installment amount each week/month to ensure the legality i believe. If this was not done, i am not really sure you would be able to claim back the cost of the sofa.
    • Ebenezer_Screwj
    • By Ebenezer_Screwj 14th Jun 17, 5:37 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    Ebenezer_Screwj
    You bought a sofa for a friend. So it was a gift. They sold the sofa which belonged to them, where do you come in?
    • IngyPop
    • By IngyPop 15th Jun 17, 7:45 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    IngyPop
    Money and friends don't mix
    You tried to do a nice thing for a friend by buying the sofa and now that you know it was sold shortly after, I'm assuming you don't feel your gesture was appreciated. I would fee the same! I don't think however, you have a right to the £100 as the sofa was in fact a gift and your friends can do with it what they want but I don't agree with how your friends dealt with the unwanted sofa. Selling it shortly after they received it and telling you how much they got for it was disrespectful to you and ill-mannered at best. I can only suggest, in future, to stay away from giving costly presents to friends.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 15th Jun 17, 10:17 AM
    • 13,221 Posts
    • 25,190 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Are they going to put the £100 towards a more suitable sofa? Could the sofa not have been returned to the original shop for a full refund?
    • happyinflorida
    • By happyinflorida 16th Jun 17, 10:15 PM
    • 636 Posts
    • 539 Thanks
    happyinflorida
    More information needed.

Why did you buy your friend a sofa?

Had your friend asked you to do this?

Did you buy the sofa for them on the understanding they would pay you back over time?

Did they chose the sofa you bought?

Why was it unsuitable?

Why didn't your friend tell you it was unsuitable? Was there actually something wrong with it, as if there was - they could have asked you to arrange to have it picked up and a refund issued to you?

I can't give an answer because this question is far too vague - MSE you really are annoying me this week with this one!
    • crmism
    • By crmism 18th Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    crmism
    Sofa
    You say you bought it for a friend, so I assume it was in the form of a gift rather than a loan while he or she saved to pay it back. If that's the case, then the money's his/hers and you have no claim to it.

Either way, something's a bit odd when the sofa "as new" fetched less than half what you paid for it a few weeks before. Maybe you bought it from a shop, and it was sold privately. But what I don't understand is why you bought something that your friend should have known beforehand was not
    going to be suitable. Didn't he/she get to see it?!
    • FloJ07
    • By FloJ07 23rd Jun 17, 1:24 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    FloJ07
    Sofa
    It sounds as though you bought this to help out a friend in which case they should have spoken to you first before selling the sofa on. It appears they have come across somewhat ungrateful and yes should of returned the money. On the other hand if it was bought as a gift then asking for money would be like asking for a present back. Either way these 'friends' are rather thoughtless! Sorry for your predicament
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,076Posts Today

9,015Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin