Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Taggo
    • By Taggo 8th Jun 17, 5:07 PM
    • 61Posts
    • 57Thanks
    Taggo
    Worth complaining about mortgage service?
    • 8th Jun 17, 5:07 PM
    Worth complaining about mortgage service? 8th Jun 17 at 5:07 PM
    Hello,

I completed on my new house yesterday finally after weeks of hassles and feel like I've been left out of pocket by sheer incompetence.

Started the ball rolling at the end of March and was assured they would meet my selling date of my old house of 19th May, to have my new mortgage up and running (old mortgage with another bank) Now I understand they'l have some get out over not meeting that date, but given all the delays came from their end is there anything I can do other than have a moan.

Everything requested I done immediately, it was a straightforward mortgage.

Simply them not calling when promised, losing paper work or sending legal stuff to Solicitor 3 times with names spelt wrong meant I had to take a storage unit for a month, move in with friends with my partner and small child, spend near £1000 more on solicitors fee, commute even longer to work, not to mention the stress of at least 50 phone calls to the company to tell them how to do their job.

I'm playing down how stressful it was

Anyway, I'm in the house and obviously I aim to enjoy it so if I have to write of my losses that's fine, just wondering from experience if anyone has been able to get anything back for this sort of thing.

I guess if not a scathing review will at least make me feel a bit better.
Page 1
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 8th Jun 17, 5:55 PM
    • 53,810 Posts
    • 46,606 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 8th Jun 17, 5:55 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 5:55 PM
    Started the ball rolling at the end of March and was assured they would meet my selling date of my old house of 19th May
    Originally posted by Taggo
    Setting dates at the outset isn't wise. As there's so much that isn't in your control or that of your conveyancers. If you only paid for standard service that's what you'll get. As you won't be there only client.
    “ “Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. The time of maximum pessimism is the best time to buy, and the time of maximum optimism is the best time to sell.” Sir John Marks Templeton
    • Edi81
    • By Edi81 8th Jun 17, 6:32 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Edi81
    • 8th Jun 17, 6:32 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 6:32 PM
    I'm confused who you complaint is with?

Broker? Conveyancer? Direct lender?
    • Taggo
    • By Taggo 8th Jun 17, 8:34 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    Taggo
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:34 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:34 PM
    My complaint would be against the lender, all the mistakes were by them. Absolute shambles but lesson learned I guess, they had the best rates but I guess that's why the serviced suffered, possibly couldn't cope with volume of clients.

Anyway I'm not a chancer out for what I can get at every turn, I'll just leave an honest review and hopefully anyone else needing basic efficency will think before using them and not have the hassle I had.

In the end I've got a good rate, £100 a month better than my previous lender, but my previous lender managed to get my mortgage in a week!

Thanks for the replies I think il leave it at that.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 9th Jun 17, 7:21 AM
    • 3,493 Posts
    • 2,172 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 9th Jun 17, 7:21 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 7:21 AM
    never book anything until everything is confirmed, just like you don't give your notice of your rental until exchange/completion has been done.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • kelly223
    • By kelly223 9th Jun 17, 11:38 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kelly223
    • 9th Jun 17, 11:38 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 11:38 AM
    if you dont get anywhere could you not try fsa site ?
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 9th Jun 17, 12:45 PM
    • 31,462 Posts
    • 16,813 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 9th Jun 17, 12:45 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 12:45 PM
    if you dont get anywhere could you not try fsa site ?
    Originally posted by kelly223
    Once the lender's complaints process has been exhausted, the next port of call is the Financial Ombudsman Service.

The FSA, when it existed, never dealt with consumer complaints, nor does its successor the FCA.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • Taggo
    • By Taggo 9th Jun 17, 1:17 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    Taggo
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:17 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:17 PM
    never book anything until everything is confirmed, just like you don't give your notice of your rental until exchange/completion has been done.
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    There comes a stage where you risk losing your buyer and you have to make that decision. I get that delays happen. It's not my first house.

What really bothers me is the mistakes, errors on their behalf that cost me in solicitors fees. I went into see my solicitor and my file compared to others at the same stage was twice the size.

Delays for valuations etc I can live with but sheer incompetence I shouldn't have to factor in.

Anyway. Live and learn as I said.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,102Posts Today

9,136Users online

Martin's Twitter