Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Clare43
    • By Clare43 8th Jun 17, 4:16 PM
    • 65Posts
    • 82Thanks
    Clare43
    Switch to HSBC
    • 8th Jun 17, 4:16 PM
    Switch to HSBC 8th Jun 17 at 4:16 PM
    I'm thinking of switching my First Direct account to HSBC to get the £150 incentive. I know HSBC and First Direct are part of the same group. I've checked the T&C's and it says you can't get the incentive if you switch from another HSBC account. I just want to double check if anyone knows if this will include First Direct - no mention of HSBC " group " in T&C but want to be sure before I try and switch. Thanks
Page 1
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 8th Jun 17, 4:34 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    soulsaver
    • 8th Jun 17, 4:34 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 4:34 PM
    Ist Direct is acceptable switch to HSBC, I asked.. but I didn't do it, used a dead Lloyds account after rekindling a couple of DDs.
    But anyway you should ask HSBC, keep a note of contact name & time, then you have some comeback if it turns out incorrect.
    There are 24 bottles of beer in a crate. There are 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not....
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 8th Jun 17, 6:15 PM
    • 29,400 Posts
    • 17,187 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 8th Jun 17, 6:15 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 6:15 PM
    Condition 4b has a footnote. The footnote says to me that ownership and indeed switch from (because it isn't expressly forbidden) an FD account is possible.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 9th Jun 17, 9:55 PM
    • 4,628 Posts
    • 2,301 Thanks
    Consumerist
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:55 PM
    Dud link in MSE newsletter?
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:55 PM
    Today, I tried to use the link in the latest MSE newsletter to the HSBC Advance account but, from a direct link on Google, the HSBC site says that the Advance account cannot be applied for online.

Anyone else had this problem?
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • smoulder
    • By smoulder 10th Jun 17, 7:15 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    smoulder
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:15 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:15 AM
    Today, I tried to use the link in the latest MSE newsletter to the HSBC Advance account but, from a direct link on Google, the HSBC site says that the Advance account cannot be applied for online.

Anyone else had this problem?
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    Go here:
    https://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/current-accounts/hsbc-advance

Then scroll down for the red "apply" buttons.

I did have problems with pages timing out during the application process (HSBC limit not my internet) but it seemed to work after the third time I input all the information they wanted.
    • Brewer20
    • By Brewer20 10th Jun 17, 10:28 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Brewer20
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:28 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:28 AM
    I'm thinking of switching to HSBC, I have been a First Direct customer for years.
    Having read all the T & C's I assumed that I could switch from FD no problems, it doesn't say you can't. I needed some cash yesterday so popped into an HSBC branch of the city I was in. Whilst in there I was about to walk out and spotted the switch to us and get £200 sign and it jogged my memory. Being as there were two assisants standing idle I asked them both (they were together) "can I get the the £200 switch money switching from a FD account?" both in almost unity said "no you can't" My reply was but nowhere in the T&C's online does it say this, they said it does somewhere in there. Not one to argue I said I'll delve a little deeper when I get back home. My findings, it doesn't mention anything re FD switching.
    I then went on live chat on the HSBC website and asked the question again, "do I get the switch bonus bla bla.." the immediate reply was yes you do sir, can we hlep with anything else?"

Now a delemma if you apply for an HSBC account online (you can) you need to either go into a branch to complete the switch or do it by phone, apparently that part of the deal can't be done online. Are FD customers going to get knocked back if going in a branch to do the switch?

BTW I already have TSB, Nationwide and Tesco accounts, I just want to gain a few more £'s by doing the switch of one of my FD accounts, it earns me nowt at present.
    • gatters
    • By gatters 10th Jun 17, 1:01 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    gatters
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:01 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:01 PM
    In the Terms and Conditions pdf there's a specific remark at the bottom.

*2 You may hold a first direct and/or a M&S bank current account and still qualify.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 10th Jun 17, 1:24 PM
    • 5,127 Posts
    • 4,339 Thanks
    badger09
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:24 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:24 PM
    In the Terms and Conditions pdf there's a specific remark at the bottom.

*2 You may hold a first direct and/or a M&S bank current account and still qualify.
    Originally posted by gatters
    I don't think that implies that you can switch a First Direct or M&S account and qualify for the incentive, just that you are not ineligible if you hold an account with one of those banks, as you are if you already hold an account with HSBC.

However, as others have said, there is nothing in FD's switch incentive T&C which excludes switches from FD or M&S from the offer.
    • Brewer20
    • By Brewer20 10th Jun 17, 1:41 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Brewer20
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:41 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:41 PM
    ^^^ So going back to me asking in branch about switching, see my post above

it sort of blows them out of the water so to speak.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,689Posts Today

5,628Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin