Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GillyFlower
    • By GillyFlower 8th Jun 17, 4:11 PM
    • 74Posts
    • 2Thanks
    GillyFlower
    Tenants in Common or Joint Ownership
    • 8th Jun 17, 4:11 PM
    Tenants in Common or Joint Ownership 8th Jun 17 at 4:11 PM
    Ok - we have been married for 50+ years and own our own home. With changes in care i.e. possibility of the dementia tax. Has anyone considered changing from having their traditional joint ownership of their home to tenants in common? It's just a thought....... does it have advantages?

This current situation does make it feel for those of us who have scrimped and saved could see there are disadvantages of taking this route in life.
Page 1
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 8th Jun 17, 7:11 PM
    • 29,763 Posts
    • 17,799 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 8th Jun 17, 7:11 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 7:11 PM
    what have you scrimped and saved for if not to give you the best end of life you can.

if you really want to stop it from paying for your best possible care spend it now while you can remember and enjoy what you spend it on.
    • GillyFlower
    • By GillyFlower 9th Jun 17, 4:09 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    GillyFlower
    • 9th Jun 17, 4:09 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 4:09 PM
    Thank you but maybe what I was thinking if either of us needed care then if I understand this correctly it could be 'first come first served'.

So if for arguments sake it was myself who needed long term care and that was self funding from our property until finance from our home ran out. But what if then my husband needed funds to help him?

So as we both have shared all these years - it was just a thought if 'tenants in common' then could it mean if my share gets used up his share could be protected.

Just a thought and interested in your views.
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 9th Jun 17, 8:46 PM
    • 2,246 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    surreysaver
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:46 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:46 PM
    I think you raise a good point. Whoever is ill first gets to choose their care, as they are paying for it. So if all the money gets used up, the surviving spouse gets what they're given by the council.
    So I don't know what the answer is!
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 10th Jun 17, 12:46 AM
    • 29,763 Posts
    • 17,799 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 10th Jun 17, 12:46 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 12:46 AM
    what are you going to do when one of you gets ill first?

Pull the plug on funding once their 1/2 is used up.

I suspect(hope) the 50% beneficial share will continue with any new legislation although the disregard for spouse may disappear .
    • GillyFlower
    • By GillyFlower 10th Jun 17, 12:35 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    GillyFlower
    • 10th Jun 17, 12:35 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 12:35 PM
    what are you going to do when one of you gets ill first?

Pull the plug on funding once their 1/2 is used up.

I suspect(hope) the 50% beneficial share will continue with any new legislation although the disregard for spouse may disappear .
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    I am sorry I don't really understand what you are saying regarding 'pull the plug' how could you do that in reality? That is why I was wondering about 'Tenants in Common' would the plug be pulled through law?

Secondly can you help me understand what you 'suspect' etc.. means in reality. Is there already a 50% beneficial share in place?
    Last edited by GillyFlower; 10-06-2017 at 12:37 PM.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 10th Jun 17, 12:46 PM
    • 29,763 Posts
    • 17,799 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 10th Jun 17, 12:46 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 12:46 PM
    AIUI the current situation is home is disregarded if the is a spouse if not then if joint the beneficial interest is considered 50%.

Try google and read up how the various agencies describe the current situation and how that is changing in 2020, then speculate on what might change.
    • GillyFlower
    • By GillyFlower 11th Jun 17, 11:09 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    GillyFlower
    • 11th Jun 17, 11:09 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 11:09 AM
    Phew - some reading and can be very complicated.

www.ageuk.org.uk Factsheets/FS38

Mind you I need to sit and read it thoroughly but then things change as we have acknowledged. It seems to me that to allow members of the family to live in the home is not accepted if parent/s goes into care it has to be sold to cover fees. So no chance of helping siblings out there.

So ... what if only one parent goes into care could it be protected if Tenants in Common. Hence, when that equity is used up for care bills- end of story. Then if the remaining parent lets say dies naturally and their share is willed to the 'child' is it protected?

I am not saying that you should not contribute but this is the area when you have started off with nothing to get what you have you now - you question whether you should have remained in rented accommodation especially in times like this where the young have very little chance of getting property.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 11th Jun 17, 12:39 PM
    • 29,763 Posts
    • 17,799 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 11th Jun 17, 12:39 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 12:39 PM
    The trick(not without its own problems) is pass capital down the generations, use income to support those at the top.

Can you trust your kids to look after you?
    • GillyFlower
    • By GillyFlower 13th Jun 17, 10:46 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    GillyFlower
    At the moment - yes. But who knows what life may throw at them so I was wondering about other 'avenues' first.

Hence - I wanted to explore the Tenants in Common thought and if it had advantages.

Basically, in our Will we state our share of our home is willed to each other - before - we need to be in the system for care. Hence - then each 'pot' of capital can only be taken into account that is 'owned' by the wife/husband who needs to be assessed.

Then.... I thought what ever government chooses with the 'dementia' tax for example the bottom line is what each person wife/husband is worth.

(I think I read in one of the articles that if you have a joint bank account/savings it can be worthwhile to split it so you have an account each....)
    Last edited by GillyFlower; 13-06-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

177Posts Today

1,693Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin