Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • don9999
    • By don9999 8th Jun 17, 4:10 PM
    • 486Posts
    • 126Thanks
    don9999
    Problem with Gift Card purchase on Ebay
    • 8th Jun 17, 4:10 PM
    Problem with Gift Card purchase on Ebay 8th Jun 17 at 4:10 PM
    I have recently purchased an Amazon Gift Card on Ebay. Have done so before with no problems.

On this occassion, I received the card as described, with the 'Claim Code' panel still intact.
    'I' scratched off the panel, and immediately attempted to apply the code to my account.
    An error message popped up stating that the code had already been redeemed!

Howe could this be, if the Claim Code panel was still intact? Could someone have 'guessed' the code?
    Or perhaps could it be an Amazon error where they have issued a code twice?

I contacted Amazon and was informed of the account against which the code had already been redeemed. I did not recognise the name, and neither is it the name of the ebay seller. I asked, but they were unable to provide me with the date when it was redeemed (presumably some time before I even received the card!)

They asked where I got the card from, and for now, I just said I had been given it (I 'think' it is againt Amazon's T&Cs to re-sell their gift-cards, so I was protecting the seller.) Apparently the issue has been transferred to a different department (probably some type of 'fraud' department since something fishy is going on).

Anyway, I said I would return the card to the person who had given it to me and that 'they' would have to follow-up with Amazon.

Meanwhile I have contacted the seller, explaining the situation, asking for a refund, and advising that they follow-up with their supplier and/or Amazon (I am told that they obtained it from their employer). They are currently resisting refunding me, claiming that 'I' am fiddling them.

Is a difficult case, though I assume that they (or their employer) would be able to discuss it in more detail with Amazon directly, who will have full details of where it was bought, and where and when it was used. Amazon are unlikely to discuss these details with me.

I'm assuming that I will be able to get my money back, when the claim has passed 8 days, and ebay steps in.

But I don't really understand how this might have happened. 'Assuming' that the company obtained the card legally (I am told that they regularly provide cards), and since 'I' scratched off the panel, how could 'someone else' have already used the code?
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
Page 1
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 8th Jun 17, 5:22 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 515 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 8th Jun 17, 5:22 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 5:22 PM
    report it to ebay as a SNAD
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 8th Jun 17, 6:21 PM
    • 10,713 Posts
    • 7,174 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 8th Jun 17, 6:21 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 6:21 PM
    I have recently purchased an Amazon Gift Card on Ebay. Have done so before with no problems.

On this occassion, I received the card as described, with the 'Claim Code' panel still intact.
    'I' scratched off the panel, and immediately attempted to apply the code to my account.
    An error message popped up stating that the code had already been redeemed!

Howe could this be, if the Claim Code panel was still intact? Could someone have 'guessed' the code?
    Or perhaps could it be an Amazon error where they have issued a code twice?

I contacted Amazon and was informed of the account against which the code had already been redeemed. I did not recognise the name, and neither is it the name of the ebay seller. I asked, but they were unable to provide me with the date when it was redeemed (presumably some time before I even received the card!)

They asked where I got the card from, and for now, I just said I had been given it (I 'think' it is againt Amazon's T&Cs to re-sell their gift-cards, so I was protecting the seller.) Apparently the issue has been transferred to a different department (probably some type of 'fraud' department since something fishy is going on).

Anyway, I said I would return the card to the person who had given it to me and that 'they' would have to follow-up with Amazon.

Meanwhile I have contacted the seller, explaining the situation, asking for a refund, and advising that they follow-up with their supplier and/or Amazon (I am told that they obtained it from their employer). They are currently resisting refunding me, claiming that 'I' am fiddling them.

Is a difficult case, though I assume that they (or their employer) would be able to discuss it in more detail with Amazon directly, who will have full details of where it was bought, and where and when it was used. Amazon are unlikely to discuss these details with me.

I'm assuming that I will be able to get my money back, when the claim has passed 8 days, and ebay steps in.

But I don't really understand how this might have happened. 'Assuming' that the company obtained the card legally (I am told that they regularly provide cards), and since 'I' scratched off the panel, how could 'someone else' have already used the code?
    Originally posted by don9999
    I take it you've opened a claim as you have mentioned being able to get your money back after 8 days....

Just be mindful not to call it a 'code' in the case as intangible goods are not covered and an eBay rep may just assume it is exactly that.
    • don9999
    • By don9999 8th Jun 17, 6:23 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    don9999
    • 8th Jun 17, 6:23 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 6:23 PM
    Yes I have raised a case.

And yes it was a physical card that I received, on which was the code.

The seller seems to be calming down now and willing to discuss.

I still don't understand how it could have happened though.....
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 8th Jun 17, 8:53 PM
    • 25,449 Posts
    • 10,093 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:53 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:53 PM
    Plenty of ways to read the codes, under certain lights you maybe able to read it. Or scratch the code off and recover with a new foil.

You can buy if on a roll...
    http://www.foilco.co.uk/products/scratch-off/

or discs...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silver-Circle-Scratch-off-Stickers-pack/dp/B001FBRWRC
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 8th Jun 17, 8:58 PM
    • 4,409 Posts
    • 3,296 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:58 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:58 PM
    I wouldn't be confident this is a guaranteed win,

Items Not Covered

Items like real estate, motorised vehicles (of any kind), custom-made items, industrial machinery (for manufacturing), prepaid cards, or items that violate our policies, anything you buy in person, or money transfers to friends or family
    In fact its probably not covered
    Last edited by glentoran99; 08-06-2017 at 9:00 PM.
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 8th Jun 17, 9:11 PM
    • 10,393 Posts
    • 58,255 Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • 8th Jun 17, 9:11 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 9:11 PM
    I get Argos vouchers from a survey site and one of them wouldn't go through. And they scraped the security stuff away to get a code and it still didn't work.
    Work to live= not live to work
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 9th Jun 17, 7:54 AM
    • 10,713 Posts
    • 7,174 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 9th Jun 17, 7:54 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 7:54 AM
    I wouldn't be confident this is a guaranteed win,

In fact its probably not covered
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    Where are you linking from? I suspect you are looking at Paypal. This is an Ebay case which has different rules. The buyer is covered in Ebay.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

Not covered
    Buyer’s remorse or any reason other than not receiving an item or receiving an item that isn't as described in the listing (see the seller’s returns policy for returns options);
    Duplicate claims through other resolution methods;
    Items sent to another address after original delivery; or
    Vehicles, Real Estate, Business & Websites for Sale, Digital Content, Intangible Goods, Classified Ads, Services, and some Business Equipment categories.
    Last edited by theonlywayisup; 09-06-2017 at 7:56 AM.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 9th Jun 17, 7:59 AM
    • 4,409 Posts
    • 3,296 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 9th Jun 17, 7:59 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 7:59 AM
    Where are you linking from? I suspect you are looking at Paypal. This is an Ebay case which has different rules. The buyer is covered in Ebay.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    I was looking at paypal buyer protection
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 9th Jun 17, 9:12 AM
    • 10,713 Posts
    • 7,174 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    I was looking at paypal buyer protection
    The rules are different. Ebay Money Back Guarantee covers more than Paypal cover.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 9th Jun 17, 9:39 AM
    • 4,409 Posts
    • 3,296 Thanks
    glentoran99
    The rules are different. Ebay Money Back Guarantee covers more than Paypal cover.
    Seems that way, however I would still say its not a guaranteed win, The seller could argue it was used by the buyer
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 9th Jun 17, 11:16 AM
    • 10,713 Posts
    • 7,174 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Seems that way, however I would still say its not a guaranteed win, The seller could argue it was used by the buyer
    But as eBay have no fair way of assessing that, they will simply tell the seller to accept the return and refund the buyer. Unfortunately that's how eBay works on cases where it isn't clear cut.
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 9th Jun 17, 6:09 PM
    • 2,145 Posts
    • 4,122 Thanks
    dlusman
    Yes I have raised a case.

And yes it was a physical card that I received, on which was the code.

The seller seems to be calming down now and willing to discuss.

I still don't understand how it could have happened though.....
    Originally posted by don9999
    There is a post on the "discount codes & vouchers" page ( which I have flagged to MSE to remove ) which links to pages offering to generate voucher codes for various different retailers. Obvious scam , I have no idea if the codes generated by such sites would work or not, but if they do you may have randomly come across a duplicate
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 9th Jun 17, 7:57 PM
    • 10,713 Posts
    • 7,174 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    There is a post on the "discount codes & vouchers" page ( which I have flagged to MSE to remove ) which links to pages offering to generate voucher codes for various different retailers. Obvious scam , I have no idea if the codes generated by such sites would work or not, but if they do you may have randomly come across a duplicate
    Originally posted by dlusman
    OP has said this was a physical card, not a generated voucher code.
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 9th Jun 17, 8:16 PM
    • 2,145 Posts
    • 4,122 Thanks
    dlusman
    OP has said this was a physical card, not a generated voucher code.
    But it is a code on the card that is then entered onto Amazon. I would imagine that codes on cards are similar format to those sent via email
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 9th Jun 17, 9:16 PM
    • 10,713 Posts
    • 7,174 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    But it is a code on the card that is then entered onto Amazon. I would imagine that codes on cards are similar format to those sent via email
    This wasn't a code, this was a physical card. You scratch the back/front of the card to reveal the code. For Ebay purposes, this is eligible for buyer protection.
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 9th Jun 17, 9:31 PM
    • 2,145 Posts
    • 4,122 Thanks
    dlusman
    This wasn't a code, this was a physical card. You scratch the back/front of the card to reveal the code. For Ebay purposes, this is eligible for buyer protection.
    Yes - but the code has already been used. The OP asked how this might be possible. It is possible that the code could have been generated and used by one of these fraud sites
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 9th Jun 17, 9:33 PM
    • 10,713 Posts
    • 7,174 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Yes - but the code has already been used. The OP asked how this might be possible. It is possible that the code could have been generated and used by one of these fraud sites
    You said
    I would imagine that codes on cards are similar format to those sent via email
    I am saying they aren't (for the purposes of buyer protection).

What is your point? No one knows if the code has been used, or was never valid.....
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 9th Jun 17, 9:37 PM
    • 2,145 Posts
    • 4,122 Thanks
    dlusman
    You said I am saying they aren't (for the purposes of buyer protection).

What is your point? No one knows if the code has been used, or was never valid.....
    correct. no-one knows - The OP asked how it was posible that the code MIGHT have been used. I supplied a possible reason ( that it had been previously generated by a fraud site - before being issued legitimatly by Amazon ) . I made no comment about buyer protection
    Last edited by dlusman; 09-06-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,241Posts Today

7,049Users online

Martin's Twitter