Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • robert4478
    • By robert4478 8th Jun 17, 3:26 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    robert4478
    Advice needed on where i stand with Scottish Power error
    • 8th Jun 17, 3:26 PM
    Advice needed on where i stand with Scottish Power error 8th Jun 17 at 3:26 PM
    Hi all,

I was with Scottish power for gas and electric and moved to green network energy. I always paid my direct debit on time and in full. After following Martin Lewis' advise and emailing Scottish Power to refund me any credit left on my account, they emailed back to say that I was in credit £487.78 and that it would be in my bank account within 3-5 working days.
    That time passed and I didn't receive the money, so I called Scottish Power (ON HOLD FOR 45 MINUTES!) to find out what was going on. Apparently the payment of credit was a mistake and was cancelled and that I actually am in debit and owe them £261.92! At no point during being a customer with them did they say I was using too much energy and needed to increase my direct debit to pay for it.
    I have refused to pay this money and have cancelled my direct debit. They then tried to take the money via direct debit, which obviously didn't go through.

I just want to know if Scottish Power have a leg to stand on, as it is their error and I have it all in emails.

What do you think?
Page 1
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 8th Jun 17, 4:51 PM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 1,486 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 8th Jun 17, 4:51 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 4:51 PM
    Only you will know if they have a leg to stand on when you get their FINAL BILL, and you have thoroughly checked it

The End Meter Readings on that bill should be the same as your Start Readings with Green Network, Or very close to as believe or not, the system allows a tolerance

At a guess the £487 credit figure Emailed, was just the end figure on your account on that particular day, but that figure can only be a 'true' credit value if it's taken immediately after a bill has been issued that is based on correct meter readings taken either by the customer or the company.

With all that said, Scot Power have software problems and nothing should be taken at face value - Check & Double Check and if you need help post again here
    • pooch
    • By pooch 8th Jun 17, 5:31 PM
    • 716 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    pooch
    • 8th Jun 17, 5:31 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 5:31 PM

I just want to know if Scottish Power have a leg to stand on,...
    Originally posted by robert4478
    If they provide you a correct bill based on your consumption as recorded by the meter and according to the relevent tariff, then it's you who needs to question whether or not you have a leg to stand on.
    • robert4478
    • By robert4478 9th Jun 17, 11:21 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    robert4478
    • 9th Jun 17, 11:21 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 11:21 AM
    Scottish Power's website is not user friendly at all and the bills are so complicated, so can't really check if the reading are right. I just don't see how they can email me with that amount in credit and then say I'm in debit.
  • Scottish Power
    • 14th Jun 17, 2:07 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 2:07 PM
    Hi Robert4478,

I am sorry to hear about the problems that you have been having. If you wish to email us your account number to our social@scottishpower.com mailbox and confirm your address details we will be happy to investigate this issue for you.

Ross
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,256Posts Today

8,458Users online

Martin's Twitter