Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 8th Jun 17, 3:19 PM
    • 86Posts
    • 60Thanks
    Bath cube
    Lost my cat today
    • 8th Jun 17, 3:19 PM
    Lost my cat today 8th Jun 17 at 3:19 PM
    My cat died today. After 19 years together, well it would be 19 years this august. I was upstairs asleep and when I went downstairs she was splayed out with her eyes open in the cat bed. I can't forgive myself because she died alone and I wasn't near her when it happened. I knew it was coming as she was showin signs yesterday.
Page 1
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 8th Jun 17, 3:54 PM
    • 2,458 Posts
    • 5,353 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 8th Jun 17, 3:54 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 3:54 PM
    Be easy on yourself - just remember a lot of humans wait until their loved ones are gone before they die..
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • KateySW
    • By KateySW 8th Jun 17, 4:11 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    KateySW
    • 8th Jun 17, 4:11 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 4:11 PM
    Oh I'm so sorry Bath cube

Sending you a hug, please be kind to yourself - you couldn't have known for sure that would happen at all and in any case, you not being there at the end could never take back almost 19 years of what I'm sure was the most wonderful life and home. She knew she was loved so much and would have done either way.

Look after yourself x
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 8th Jun 17, 4:16 PM
    • 35,404 Posts
    • 45,565 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 8th Jun 17, 4:16 PM
    Dont be hard on yourself. She would have just drifted off to sleep and just slipped away .
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 8th Jun 17, 4:16 PM
    • 7,817 Posts
    • 25,689 Thanks
    fairy lights
    So sorry bathcube
    Don't feel guilty though, she wasn't alone - she was in her own bed, happy in the knowledge her humans were safely asleep. 19 years is an incredible age and I'm sure she had a very good life.
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 8th Jun 17, 4:18 PM
    • 2,921 Posts
    • 5,442 Thanks
    warehouse
    • 8th Jun 17, 4:18 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 4:18 PM
    To die of such an old age is a very well looked after and happy cat. You should be proud you gave her such a good life.
    Pants
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 8th Jun 17, 10:13 PM
    • 11,990 Posts
    • 11,353 Thanks
    Chris25
    • 8th Jun 17, 10:13 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 10:13 PM
    so sorry to hear that bathcube.

Don't be so hard on yourself. As others have said, to live to that age you must have looked after her very well. She was at home when she passed away in her own bed and even if she showed signs of it coming you couldn't have known exactly when it would happen.

((hugs))
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 9th Jun 17, 8:49 AM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 1,430 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:49 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:49 AM
    I'm so sorry. We lost our beautiful blue lady in this way - she was fine when we went to work, but had obviously gone back to bed and just died in her sleep.

We took comfort from the fact that she had had a loving home for all of her 16 years, and that she had died without any pain and without any to and fro-ing from the vets.

I know just how hard it is now, but you too will take comfort from that as well.
    • ERICS MUM
    • By ERICS MUM 9th Jun 17, 8:54 AM
    • 3,396 Posts
    • 6,325 Thanks
    ERICS MUM
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:54 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:54 AM
    What a shock, I'm so sorry. I'm in the same boat - my Eric is 19, but getting frail with various ailments and I don't think he will reach his 20th in Oct.

No matter how I try to prepare myself I know I will be devastated.

Take it easy, losing a big part of your life after 19 years is a big deal and you'll feel it for a while.
    • jhgkp
    • By jhgkp 9th Jun 17, 12:20 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    jhgkp
    So very sorry about your cat - we lost our wee cat last year at age 6 in similar way - went to wake her, curled up in her bed, still warm, but gone. Condolences to you all
    • tealady
    • By tealady 9th Jun 17, 8:36 PM
    • 2,686 Posts
    • 3,166 Thanks
    tealady
    Hi
    19 years is a good lifespan for a cat, you must have given your furbabe the best of everything.
    Sadly grief is the price we pay for love, just remind yourself that your beloved cat had a wonderful home and the love you have for each other enriched both your lives.
    Dont beat yourself up with guilt, easier said than done I know. Just remember the happy days.
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 9th Jun 17, 8:45 PM
    • 25,479 Posts
    • 102,942 Thanks
    candygirl
    Aww i'm so sorry hun, but 19 is a fantastic age to reach . Don't feel guilty xx
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 10th Jun 17, 1:32 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    Bath cube
    I can't forgive myself for not being there when tiggy took her last breath. I got up around 7am to check on her and she was very quiet but showing no signs of hunger or thirst, despite water and food nearby.I stroked her head then I went back to bed because I wasn't at work yesterday. I got up around 12 went straight into the dining room and there she was sprawled out not breathing with her eyes and mouth open. She want in that position when I left her. My guilt will stay until the day (if I'm very lucky) I get to be with her again. What if she cried out for me and looked around to see if I was there?. I shouldn't have gone back to bed and abandoned her. We have put her body in the garage in s box for now and will bury her tomorrow Saturday.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 10th Jun 17, 9:21 AM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 1,430 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Bath cube - I'm so sorry you are going through this. It sounds as if Tiggy may have had a heart attack, which would explain her position. If so, it would have been very quick.

A friend sadly saw her cat die of a heart attack - one second she was watching her cat grooming herself, the next second puss just gave a little squeak and flopped sideways. It was that quick.

Do you think you would you find it helpful to talk to someone from The Cats' Protection charity bereavement service?
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 10th Jun 17, 11:24 AM
    • 2,590 Posts
    • 3,665 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    I'm so sorry for your loss, especially as she'd been a part of your life for such a long time. I feel your pain as two of my cats were 21 & 23 when they passed and were actually older than my son.

But please do not feel guilty about not being with her. Cats know when they are ready to pass and will go off to be on their own. She chose to go to her bed which was familiar and comfortable so she drifted off feeling quite content.

It is natural that you will go through the grieving process just the same as if you'd lost a family member. Please contact your vet as many practices will offer pet berievement counselling.

Take care xx
    Last edited by Feral Moon; 10-06-2017 at 11:27 AM.
    • HB58
    • By HB58 10th Jun 17, 11:34 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 1,621 Thanks
    HB58
    I am so sorry that you have lost your beloved companion
    • helcat26
    • By helcat26 11th Jun 17, 7:14 PM
    • 989 Posts
    • 2,552 Thanks
    helcat26
    I am sorry you have lost your darling cat. She had a long and happy life with you, there is nothing for you to feel guilty about x
    • Laz123
    • By Laz123 21st Jun 17, 8:53 AM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 850 Thanks
    Laz123
    Yep, it's very sad. One of my two gingers boys has been missing here on Gozo for three days now. Just over a year old and his brother is pining for him and my heart is very heavy.
    I like life. It's something to do.

Ronnie Shakes
    • Marie90
    • By Marie90 22nd Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Marie90
    Oh so sad((((( stay strong!! it's always painful when your beloved pet is diying on your eyes and you cannot keep from it...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

105Posts Today

1,987Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin