Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MarkFightingFraud
    • By MarkFightingFraud 8th Jun 17, 3:18 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MarkFightingFraud
    Virgin Mobile Credit Check
    • 8th Jun 17, 3:18 PM
    Virgin Mobile Credit Check 8th Jun 17 at 3:18 PM
    I have been a virgin mobile customer from about 3 years now and have tv/broadband package for a little bit longer.

I've never had any missed payments or bad debt with them or anyone else.
    I went into store to change my tariff as it was for a contract i took out when i joined them which is already over and has been just rolling.
    £18.40 for 500MB data and 1000mins.

They have a deal on for £9 - 2GB data and 1000mins. So i went to change the tariff.

I was told they would not change the tariff as I had failed my credit check. I have my Equifax account which i immediately went and checked to find no indication of anything wrong. I've sent for my £2 credit file from Experian now as well to see if that also says i'm OK just waiting for that one.

I was able to get a pcp on a new car sept last year with no problems.

MSE site says virgin mobile use Equifax for credit check as of March 2016, does anyone know if virigin mobile have switched the credit bureau they used to another? maybe callcredit?

I tried to call virgin and complain but i just got put through to india where i was basically repeated what i had already been told and then she ran the credit check again on their system to get the same result! (I know, more searches...)

What do I do next. I am so angry that they are fine for me to keep paying £18.40 a month and keep that monthly rolling contract but when i want to move to a £9 a month rolling contract, which is more affordable in the case i couldn't pay my bills, computer says no and i'm just told sorry you can't.

Thanks for advice in advance.
Page 1
    • Paul_01
    • By Paul_01 8th Jun 17, 4:28 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Paul_01
    • 8th Jun 17, 4:28 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 4:28 PM
    I'd be interested to see whether there is a record of the search at any of the CRA's.

Maybe the Virgin rep is penalised if you downgrade and the failed credit check is a ruse.......
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 8th Jun 17, 5:49 PM
    • 2,068 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 8th Jun 17, 5:49 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 5:49 PM
    I would have a go at moving to plusnet if they are going to be like that.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 9th Jun 17, 9:19 AM
    • 7,221 Posts
    • 5,197 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:19 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:19 AM
    Any company will have it's own criteria for credit decisions. You just don't currently match theirs I'm afraid. As you're out of contract ask to speak to retentions and ask for the deal. If they won't give you it get your PAC.
    Last edited by pmduk; 09-06-2017 at 9:30 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,349Posts Today

8,310Users online

Martin's Twitter