Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rhinena
    • By Rhinena 8th Jun 17, 1:07 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Rhinena
    TESCO PRODUCT SAFETY - Tesco Pineapple Banana Coconut Smoothie 1 Litre
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:07 PM
    TESCO PRODUCT SAFETY - Tesco Pineapple Banana Coconut Smoothie 1 Litre 8th Jun 17 at 1:07 PM
    PRODUCT SAFETY - Tesco Pineapple Banana Coconut Smoothie 1 Litre
    Just a warning.
    I opened the carton on the 2/6/17. I then poured out the smoothie immediately into a glass and drank. Straight away I experienced a severe burning sensation in my mouth and down my throat. The product had a very strong chemical taste. I noticed after, the carton had become bloated out.
    I experienced stomach pains and a sore throat for 72hrs. It affected my ability to speak for 24hrs. I have bought this product regularly in the past and have not experienced any issues.
    I have kept a sample of the product as advised by Environmental Health.
    Date Purchased - 28/5/17. Best Before date - 24/6/17
    I suffer from no food allergies.
    Last edited by Rhinena; 08-06-2017 at 1:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
Page 1
    • societys child
    • By societys child 8th Jun 17, 2:05 PM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 4,642 Thanks
    societys child
    • 8th Jun 17, 2:05 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 2:05 PM
    I experienced stomach pains and a sore throat for 72hrs. It affected my ability to speak for 24hrs
    Did you see your GP or attend A&E, what have they said?

• wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 8th Jun 17, 4:00 PM
    • 18,648 Posts
    • 15,548 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 8th Jun 17, 4:00 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 4:00 PM
    PRODUCT SAFETY - Tesco Pineapple Banana Coconut Smoothie 1 Litre
    Just a warning.
    I opened the carton on the 2/6/17. I then poured out the smoothie immediately into a glass and drank. Straight away I experienced a severe burning sensation in my mouth and down my throat. The product had a very strong chemical taste. I noticed after, the carton had become bloated out.
    I experienced stomach pains and a sore throat for 72hrs. It affected my ability to speak for 24hrs. I have bought this product regularly in the past and have not experienced any issues.
    I have kept a sample of the product as advised by Environmental Health.
    Date Purchased - 28/5/17. Best Before date - 24/6/17
    I suffer from no food allergies.
    Originally posted by Rhinena
    What was Tesco's response when you bought this to their attention?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th Jun 17, 4:33 PM
    • 58,976 Posts
    • 41,779 Thanks
    soolin
    • 8th Jun 17, 4:33 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 4:33 PM
    Sounds rather like it got too hot and started to ferment - but as above what have Tesco said?
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Rhinena
    • By Rhinena 8th Jun 17, 4:57 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rhinena
    • 8th Jun 17, 4:57 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 4:57 PM
    The doctor supplied me with tablets to help relieve the pain in my stomach and told me to drink plenty of water.

Tesco said to hand the product back to them. They said they might send it off for testing and results would take 4 weeks to be returned. The product was returned on the evening of 3/6/17, but we kept a sample for the Doctor/Environmental Health. Then on Monday (5/6/17) Tesco wrote a letter saying '...if there had been a problem with this batch there would have been other complaints. To date, we've not received any. Tesco said they would pass my complaint on to the supplier.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 8th Jun 17, 6:24 PM
    • 3,051 Posts
    • 5,291 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 8th Jun 17, 6:24 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 6:24 PM
    Sounds like they've been very reasonable so far. Pineapple juice past it's best really does taste awful, and as mentioned above if it had started to ferment it would explain the chemical taste, sore throats and painful/upset stomach.

Hopefully you are feeling better now, did they at least refund you? I had to take some fresh chicken back once that looked fine in the packet, was still sealed but when opened had the most awful off smell to it. I took it back, got an apology and refund which I was happy with and was very surprised when about a week later I had a £5 voucher in the post.
    • luckwickes
    • By luckwickes 8th Jun 17, 7:51 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    luckwickes
    • 8th Jun 17, 7:51 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 7:51 PM
    Thanks for the warning. I have the same product in my fridge unopened. I tested a drop of it on the back of my hand, and it burned within seconds. Thank god the kids did not open it first. My carton is emitting a very strong chemical smell. I will take the product to Tesco and hopefully they will do something about it. I hope you feel better.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 8th Jun 17, 8:09 PM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 4,642 Thanks
    societys child
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:09 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:09 PM
    You too luckwicks?

Lucky you saw this post and joined up to reply at 7:51pm tonight, and were able to test it on the back of your hand . . .
    It really is lucky your kids didn't open the carton first, who knows what could have happened.

• POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 8th Jun 17, 8:21 PM
    • 10,393 Posts
    • 21,548 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:21 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:21 PM
    I do not understand if it was that bad, burning your mouth etc.how you even managed to swallow it.
    • luckwickes
    • By luckwickes 8th Jun 17, 8:32 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    luckwickes
    Lucy
    Dear Societys Child's,

Its Lucy.

I might be new to this forum but my opinion/comments still count, like every other on here.

For your info I have been reading these mse forums for many months, but never felt the need to actually post anything. I decided to join today because I wanted to pass on my thanks. There is nothing sinister about that. Your post sounds quite cynical. I might be wrong but you look like a long standing member of MSE forum, so you should try to be welcoming to new members interacting.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 8th Jun 17, 8:52 PM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 4,642 Thanks
    societys child
    Hi Lucy, you did wash your hands and apply some soothing cream I hope.

* Lucy? . . . your not my niece are you . . . ?

I'm always welcoming to new members and hope to see more of you in the forums
    Last edited by societys child; 08-06-2017 at 8:56 PM.

• lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 9th Jun 17, 4:00 PM
    • 9,480 Posts
    • 7,482 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    My carton is emitting a very strong chemical smell. I will take the product to Tesco and hopefully they will do something about it.
    Originally posted by luckwickes
    What did Tesco say?
    • z1a
    • By z1a 9th Jun 17, 7:13 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    z1a
    Thanks for the warning. I have the same product in my fridge unopened. I tested a drop of it on the back of my hand, and it burned within seconds. Thank god the kids did not open it first. My carton is emitting a very strong chemical smell. I will take the product to Tesco and hopefully they will do something about it. I hope you feel better.
    Originally posted by luckwickes
    Don't believe that for 1 second.
    • daytona0
    • By daytona0 9th Jun 17, 8:34 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 2,656 Thanks
    daytona0
    Don't believe that for 1 second.
    Originally posted by z1a
    Don't see the motivation for making a post on a second account to be honest...

But, admittedly, the two users have a fairly similar writing style and may be the same person.
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 10th Jun 17, 8:13 AM
    • 631 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    Sicard
    Thanks for the up on this. I've been trying to get into a safe for hours. I used this product and was able to burn my way into the tumblers and open it.
    A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends.
    Baltasar Gracian
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,768Posts Today

6,722Users online

Martin's Twitter