Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • henrypootle
    • By henrypootle 8th Jun 17, 12:41 PM
    • 108Posts
    • 99Thanks
    henrypootle
    Missed out again...
    • #1
    • 8th Jun 17, 12:41 PM
    Missed out again... 8th Jun 17 at 12:41 PM
    Just need a rant really. Just missed out on another property and it's frustrating as I think it's down to the EA not doing their job. There's nothing we can do about it.
    Went to view a property last Saturday which really liked. Woman showing us round (from EA as prop empty) said 2 offers on the table with further viewings early in the week. We wanted a bit of time to re-look at finances but said we were definitely interested and would want to put an offer in. She suggested second viewing to give us a bit more time. Phoned their office and made appointment for a second viewing on Friday (tomorrow) and said we would definitely be putting in our best offer at that stage.
    Phoned mortgage provider on Monday to see if we could have any more (hubbie just got letter to say pay rise) and spent early this week sorting everything out so we were in a position to vput the offer in on Friday (was absolute maximum we could go to)

    Yesterday we get a phone call to say viewing on Friday is cancelled as the property is sold. Asked if we could put our offer in as we had finances sorted now and she said she is legally obliged to put it in. Heard this morning that even tho our offer is higher, they are going to honour the other one which I guess is fair enough.

    Surely they should have let us know that the vendor was making their decision seeing how interested we were. Maybe the vendor didn't realise our level of interest as EA didn't tell them?

    Feels really unfair and frustrating that there is nothing we can do about it.

    Missed out on another a couple of months back - went to sealed bids and we were outbid. Fair enough - there were only 2 bids that went in (rather than the half dozen they were expecting)
    It a stressful business isn't it!
    Henry Pootle (aka Piglet)


Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 8th Jun 17, 12:47 PM
    • 24,085 Posts
    • 66,698 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • #2
    • 8th Jun 17, 12:47 PM
    • #2
    • 8th Jun 17, 12:47 PM
    It is stressful, but if you know that there is an offer on the table, I wouldn't wait! Most people would not either.

    You can make your offer and sort the detail later, but if the vendor doesn't know that you're offering then how can they consider you or wait for you to sort things out first?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 8th Jun 17, 1:08 PM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 3,140 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • #3
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:08 PM
    • #3
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:08 PM
    The EA are doing their job; they have sold the house, and followed the vendor's instructions. What do you think their job is? If you think it is helping you to buy a house, you have it backwards.
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 8th Jun 17, 1:12 PM
    • 1,552 Posts
    • 2,013 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    • #4
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:12 PM
    • #4
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:12 PM
    Yes, if there are offers then don't wait.

    I've been your seller. We had a few good offers and some people we knew were interested and had said they would make an offer after a second viewing. However we took one of the first offers as a) the other viewers may change their mind and b) if we had waited, the first set of offers may have had offers accepted elsewhere.

    If the property market is hot where you are, then you have to move quickly.

    I understand why you are frustrated though!
    • sparky130a
    • By sparky130a 8th Jun 17, 1:18 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    sparky130a
    • #5
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:18 PM
    • #5
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:18 PM

    Yesterday we get a phone call to say viewing on Friday is cancelled as the property is sold. Asked if we could put our offer in as we had finances sorted now and she said she is legally obliged to put it in. Heard this morning that even tho our offer is higher, they are going to honour the other one which I guess is fair enough.

    Surely they should have let us know that the vendor was making their decision seeing how interested we were. Maybe the vendor didn't realise our level of interest as EA didn't tell them?

    Feels really unfair and frustrating that there is nothing we can do about it.
    Originally posted by henrypootle
    Are you having a Giraffe?

    So you procrastinate and don't even have finances sorted but expect someone else to sit around selling the biggest asset they own....

    And you feel hard done by and it's unfair to you?

    I'm speechless. And that takes a fair bit.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 8th Jun 17, 1:32 PM
    • 15,389 Posts
    • 21,010 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • #6
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:32 PM
    • #6
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:32 PM
    As above, once there is an offer on the table, then you need to move within HOURS, not days... especially if there are TWO offers!

    6 days is a long time if someone has already offered, as no doubt their offer was either accepted or renegotiated.

    By telling you there was an offer on the table already was there way of letting you know you need to move fast. They did do their job, but you now know you need to move faster if you really want a property.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

    No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 8th Jun 17, 1:35 PM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 1,590 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • #7
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:35 PM
    • #7
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:35 PM
    I understand that it is disappointing when you see a property you like and then you miss out.

    However, I think there is a lesson in here for you. If you see something that you are keen on, act quickly. When you are told there are already two offers on the table waiting nearly a week before taking a second look is not advisable.

    It is not the EAs fault that you were not in a position to make an offer when other people were.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 8th Jun 17, 1:37 PM
    • 5,302 Posts
    • 2,222 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    • #8
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:37 PM
    • #8
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:37 PM
    Don`t stress, you will get another chance.....and maybe at a much lower price.


    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4582924/Osborne-s-stamp-duty-hike-sees-property-sales-drop.html
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 8th Jun 17, 1:38 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 4,573 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • #9
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:38 PM
    • #9
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:38 PM
    This one is your fault. Don't offer unless you already know you can afford it. This means forward planning. Do the financial bit first offer second not the other way round. There are a lot of people who don't seem capable of forward planning.

    You will also find that you get on better if you accept responsibility for your shortcomings because then you can learn from them and do thing differently. At the moment you are trying to blame the estate agent for something that you did.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 8th Jun 17, 1:59 PM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 1,590 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    Going by your other thread you are selling a property that has not yet exchanged contracts. It may well be the offer that has been accepted is from someone in a better position, and your slightly increased offer may not have been enough to tempt the seller to switch horses.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 8th Jun 17, 2:05 PM
    • 4,763 Posts
    • 20,777 Thanks
    Slinky
    I had to drop everything and drive over 100 miles to go look at a property we were interested in the day after it came on the market, offered the same day 10% over asking price as there were 2 other offers already on the table, our offer accepted a few days later, OH hadn't even seen it, to get the one we wanted. We've managed to knock about 2.5% off after survey.

    In some areas where not much comes up it can be a bun fight. We found this out after being outbid on one in the same street so were determined to get this one which we prefered anyway.

    OP, don't despair, the one we were outbid on came back on the market when the original purchaser changed their mind. We could have had it, in fact we had offers accepted on both for a couple of days. One in three sales goes wrong, just let the agent know you're still really interested, and keep giving them a call for the next few weeks in case it comes back to you.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 8th Jun 17, 2:15 PM
    • 7,675 Posts
    • 8,288 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Just need a rant really. Just missed out on another property and it's frustrating as I think it's down to the EA not doing their job to me not being prepared financially. There's nothing we can do about it now, if only we'd had the forethought to get our finances in order before we viewed.


    Phoned mortgage provider on Monday to see if we could have any more (hubbie just got letter to say pay rise) and spent early this week sorting everything out so we were in a position to vput the offer in on Friday (was absolute maximum we could go to) so the situation was the seller would be best advised to sell to soemone else not at the limit of their finances.

    Surely they should have let us know that the vendor was making their decision seeing how interested we were. I should have realised the vendor would think a bird in the hand was worth a possible offer from someone at the limit of their finances. Maybe the vendor didn't realise our level of interest as EA didn't tell them? thought it would be better to buy from someone that didn't procrastinate and was ready to go?

    Feels really unfair and frustrating that there is nothing we can do about it. I screwed up like this.
    Originally posted by henrypootle
    Fixed your typos for you
    • phillw
    • By phillw 8th Jun 17, 2:25 PM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    phillw
    Surely they should have let us know that the vendor was making their decision seeing how interested we were. Maybe the vendor didn't realise our level of interest as EA didn't tell them?
    Originally posted by henrypootle
    The vendor will have started deciding as soon as there was an offer on the table. They would have no idea whether you would be able to sort out your finances, or just change your mind about the property in the mean time. If they wait a week then the worst case scenario is that you don't put in an offer and the others withdraw their offers.

    In the meantime the vendor will probably have put in an offer on a property and that vendor might pull out if they don't sell quick enough for them. It's a wonder that property chains ever work out.

    If they had been prepared to wait and let you gazump the other buyer, then there is no reason why the vendor couldn't have let someone else gazump you. You still wouldn't have the house and you'll have wasted time.
    Last edited by phillw; 08-06-2017 at 2:31 PM.
    • henrypootle
    • By henrypootle 8th Jun 17, 2:32 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    henrypootle
    We got our decision in principle 2 months ago. Hubbie had a letter literally only last week to say that he had pay rise. When we realised how much we liked the house we then wanted a chance to see if the pay rise put us in a better position to offer more and it did. In hindsight we should have phoned them straight back when we had our finances sorted but we didn't. Onwards and upwards as they say.
    Henry Pootle (aka Piglet)


    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 8th Jun 17, 10:37 PM
    • 5,302 Posts
    • 2,222 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    The OP may have had a lucky escape if things go the way exit polls are showing. Pound dropping like stone already.
    • mysterymurdoch
    • By mysterymurdoch 8th Jun 17, 10:45 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    mysterymurdoch
    Superbly helpful and relevant as always.

    OP...imagine you're buying a house and you make an offer on monday. When would you expect the seller to tell you yes or no? By Tuesday afternoon maybe? Or would you be happy to sit in limbo until the following week?
    • Mickygg
    • By Mickygg 9th Jun 17, 9:16 AM
    • 1,336 Posts
    • 1,051 Thanks
    Mickygg
    If you want to be in a good position, get your finances sorted before viewing. Even if very recent changes mean a revised mortgage, I personally would only view what I could afford and have finances in place for. Simply because I would hate to see the perfect house (not that that exists) and not be able to move quick enough to secure it.

    I don't blame the EA on this occasion OP because the EA just wants it sold and doesn't care about an extra few £££.

    I wouldn't wait on someone to sort their finances out if I have a good offer on the table.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 9th Jun 17, 9:26 AM
    • 15,906 Posts
    • 8,149 Thanks
    ACG
    Looking at this from the vendors view, you viewed it and you were not THAT bowled over by it that you needed to have a think and a second viewing and double check your finances.

    The other buyer could have been to view it and loved it and had the finances in place.

    As a vendor, for the sake of a couple of grand are you going to go for something that looks promising or someone dithering?

    Despite what is in the news, houses are selling, demand is there.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 10th Jun 17, 10:03 PM
    • 5,302 Posts
    • 2,222 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/2951257-Anyone-else-struggling-to-sell-in-London
    • -taff
    • By -taff 10th Jun 17, 10:23 PM
    • 7,172 Posts
    • 5,162 Thanks
    -taff
    Having read part of post, she twice says cheaper flats have sold and her flat is more in 'outer london'....It usually comes down to that doesn't it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

668Posts Today

5,211Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

  • RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

  • RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

  • Follow Martin