Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Simeco
    • By Simeco 8th Jun 17, 10:11 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Simeco
    No Will/ No House Advice Sought
    • 8th Jun 17, 10:11 AM
    No Will/ No House Advice Sought 8th Jun 17 at 10:11 AM
    My father passed away at the weekend and he hadn't made a Will. The property he lived in didin't belong to him and all I can see with limited access to things so far is about £15,000 in a current account. I've done a lot of reading and I'm still confused about what forms to fill in. I'm thinking there won't be inheritance tax because of the amount of money involved, if that being the case I need to fill in form IHT 205 (where estate is unlikely to pay inheritance tax) and form PA1- Probate Application.

If anybody has any further advice, I would be most grateful!
Page 1
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 8th Jun 17, 10:45 AM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 2,587 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    • 8th Jun 17, 10:45 AM
    • 8th Jun 17, 10:45 AM
    You may not need any forms at all, many banks will not require probate ( or administration if there is no will) to release that level of funds.

First - the bank will pay the funeral director directly with funds from your father's account if you present them with the bill.

What remains in the account may well be released to you on production of the death certificate and by signing an indemnity (it will depend on which bank - as they have varying limits on the amount they will do this for).

You should be careful if there is any suggestion that your father had debts which may approach or exceed his assets.
    • Simeco
    • By Simeco 8th Jun 17, 11:26 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Simeco
    • 8th Jun 17, 11:26 AM
    • 8th Jun 17, 11:26 AM
    Should I enquire at this stage what the stance of the bank (Natwest) is? I've not told them yet that he's passed away.

I'm pretty certain that the has got any outstanding debt, he never had a credit card etc.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 8th Jun 17, 12:07 PM
    • 2,784 Posts
    • 2,209 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 8th Jun 17, 12:07 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 12:07 PM
    Should I enquire at this stage what the stance of the bank (Natwest) is? I've not told them yet that he's passed away.

I'm pretty certain that the has got any outstanding debt, he never had a credit card etc.
    Originally posted by Simeco
    You must tell the bank ASAP to prevent any money being paid out. Best to use the tell us once service as well for other things.
    • Linton
    • By Linton 8th Jun 17, 1:47 PM
    • 8,079 Posts
    • 7,904 Thanks
    Linton
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:47 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:47 PM
    You must tell the bank ASAP to prevent any money being paid out. Best to use the tell us once service as well for other things.
    Originally posted by Yorkshireman99
    As well as the banks you should tell all of the other people who paid him money asap. eg pension companies and DWP. If their payments happen after death they may want repaying which is a hassle.
    • Simeco
    • By Simeco 8th Jun 17, 1:53 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Simeco
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:53 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:53 PM
    Ok will get onto that......

I've just picked up a box of his paperwork, he's got another £7k in a saving account.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 8th Jun 17, 4:14 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 8th Jun 17, 4:14 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 4:14 PM
    If it was me I would go to the banks, passport & utility bill in hand along with the death certificate & just ask them what they need from you. The tell us once service is very good & will stop any benefit payments very quickly. If he was in receipt of any pensions there may be an amount payable from that, or if not there may be pensions with a payee nominated by him.

In amongst all the practicalities - sorry for your loss.
    • chesky
    • By chesky 8th Jun 17, 4:50 PM
    • 750 Posts
    • 1,017 Thanks
    chesky
    • 8th Jun 17, 4:50 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 4:50 PM
    You must inform the savings bank as they will have to stop adding interest from the date of his death.
    • Simeco
    • By Simeco 8th Jun 17, 6:30 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Simeco
    • 8th Jun 17, 6:30 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 6:30 PM
    I'm going to have a good look at the paperwork I've got later, I shall start with the bank etc in the morning.

Thanks for everyone's advice so far.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 8th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    • 29,463 Posts
    • 17,610 Thanks
    getmore4less
    You must inform the savings bank as they will have to stop adding interest from the date of his death.
    Originally posted by chesky
    WHY?

they need to put the accumulating interest somewhere and nothing needs to change from the normal process of adding interest unless it was an ISA as the ISA status ends DOD.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 8th Jun 17, 7:41 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    badmemory
    Originally posted by chesky
    They used to do that but no longer do.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 8th Jun 17, 9:03 PM
    • 2,784 Posts
    • 2,209 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    They used to do that but no longer do.
    Originally posted by badmemory
    There is no general rule. Each financial institution has their own rules.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 8th Jun 17, 11:15 PM
    • 2,784 Posts
    • 2,209 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    WHY?

they need to put the accumulating interest somewhere and nothing needs to change from the normal process of adding interest unless it was an ISA as the ISA status ends DOD.
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    The rate will change from the date of death with most banks. Notifying the bank limit the need to,repay amounts wrongly credited. Any responsible executor will notify the bank promptly. The bank may hold a will.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 9th Jun 17, 2:25 AM
    • 37,516 Posts
    • 33,830 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Sorry for your loss, but just checking, are you his only (surviving) child? Was your dad still married to anyone when he died?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
    • Simeco
    • By Simeco 9th Jun 17, 6:52 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Simeco
    Yes I'm the only child and no dad wasn't married when he died.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 9th Jun 17, 8:43 AM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    So sorry for your loss.

Your dad may not have left any debts as such, but his estate will have to pay rent, Council tax, utilities, etc, until you have handed the property back to the landlord/local authority.

You will need to inform his pension provider(s) sooner rather than later, to avoid the complications of having to repay any overissues.
    • Simeco
    • By Simeco 9th Jun 17, 9:09 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Simeco
    The flat my father was living in belongs to his ex wife and when I went round yesterday with her she said that she'd be sorting out all of the utilities.

Had an evening of sorting out paperwork, opening up 7 years of banks statements etc. From what I can see he cashed a pension in a few years ago, has two more paying monthly and of course his state pension.
    • myrnahaz
    • By myrnahaz 12th Jun 17, 7:27 PM
    • 1,095 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    myrnahaz
    Sorry for your loss! When I went to register my Dad's death, the Registrar said that they had a free service whereby they would inform all of the government bodies (DWP, council tax etc) - she also gave me a list of people/organisations who needed to be informed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,505Posts Today

4,613Users online

Martin's Twitter