Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmo
    • By Karmo 8th Jun 17, 3:29 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Karmo
    Investing 70,000 at 53 years old
    • 8th Jun 17, 3:29 AM
    Investing 70,000 at 53 years old 8th Jun 17 at 3:29 AM
    Im a UK citizen ; tax payer too . 70,000 to invest safely as possible . Im no gambler as the money did not come easily .
    I was thinking of buying a flat to rent out but as I live overseas this seems like a fair bit of hassle and I could be faced with big bills for repairs evictions etc . Plus I have zero experience in the field .
    How should I invest it? I would like to get as much monthly return as possible and have the lump sum available when Im older . I have contacted IFAs in the UK but they all want to have an in person meeting with me . But Im overseas at the moment
    Thanks for any suggestions .
Page 1
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 8th Jun 17, 4:36 PM
    • 5,591 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 8th Jun 17, 4:36 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 4:36 PM
    You can't really have 'safe' and 'as much monthly return as possible'.

If you aren't prepared to risk any of your capital then you are looking at high interest savings accounts which will just about keep pace with inflation but you may have trouble opening some if you are not currently resident in this country.

Do you have a pension ?
    • missile
    • By missile 7th Jul 17, 2:27 PM
    • 8,853 Posts
    • 4,278 Thanks
    missile
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:27 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:27 PM
    Why not put the cash into a savings account in whichever country you are living in?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Jul 17, 10:17 AM
    • 17,643 Posts
    • 44,941 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 8th Jul 17, 10:17 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 10:17 AM
    You'd be better posting on this board:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=17
    • missile
    • By missile 8th Jul 17, 4:06 PM
    • 8,853 Posts
    • 4,278 Thanks
    missile
    • 8th Jul 17, 4:06 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 4:06 PM
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    see here > http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5661578
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    • 17,643 Posts
    • 44,941 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    OP - so didn't you like the replies you got to your earlier post?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

171Posts Today

1,295Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin