Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jane7764
    • By Jane7764 7th Jun 17, 10:13 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jane7764
    Car finance
    • 7th Jun 17, 10:13 PM
    Car finance 7th Jun 17 at 10:13 PM
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place I am new to this and am in need of help and advice. THANKYOU in advance if anyone can help.

In brief nearly a month ago I went and picked out a second hand car that was supposed to be an improvement in my life as my old car has nearly had it. After a really bad year after losing my Mum and six months after losing my Dad I thought I would put the money I was left towards something I hope that would not disappoint my Parents. I would have to take out some finance but as it's for work to that's ok.

I went to a garage out of town and picked one that I like although being a women it was hard not to be sold something else. The salesman went through the finance and said that sometime it takes a few days to see if it's agreed. However it was supposedly all agreed in five minutes. Then he went into Hard sale mode and tried to sale me polish and gap insurance and when he saw I wasn't interested he proceeded to call over a colleague and push to polish even harder and the colleague saying it was a no brainier. I guess at that point I had lost my brain as I didn't buy.

We agreed I would come back in a week to pick up the car( I had put down £600 deposit ).
    I was not told to bring anything no I'd no letters or bills with home address no passport.
    I didn't even know email were sent.

A week later I insured the new car and told my insurance company that the other cars insurance could be stopped at midnight.
    I got to the garage and we started to fill out the relevant forms starting with taxing the new car £150. Then came the finance and it all stalled there had been an email sent to the salesmen from the finance company which he hadn't read although having 6 hours to do so.
    Anyway on all the forms I had seen he had put down half of my work address and half of my home address so now the finance company wanted all ID and so forth. My driving license was out of date. My fault I know but I hadn't been told I needed it anyway. But I got a one time activation code. But for some reason it was still not work. He told me a few days later that the only letters with the wrong address were not one to the finance company which I find hard to believe as every letter upon checking was wrong.

My friend said to have a look on a credit website. I did and it's had a negative impact in my credit score. I'm nearly a 1000 down got two cars taxed and insured waiting for my licence to be renewed 3 weeks later. He said for all the hassle they would fill to car with petrol and put mats in the car but I have a video of the car and it already has mats.

I feel insulted, held over a barrel and not sure how to proceed. I have not the money to waste and have lost lots more because of this. I just want an end to it all.
    I thought going to a major dealership would mean good service but maybe it's my fault because he did say he'd only work there a few weeks.

Please could anyone advise me every time they call me I feel like they lie and are taking advantage.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Jun 17, 10:22 PM
    • 13,216 Posts
    • 13,526 Thanks
    zx81
    • 7th Jun 17, 10:22 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 10:22 PM
    Forget about your score.

Can you summarise the issue in a few bullet points? I couldn't understand the question.
    • Grzegorz Kowalski
    • By Grzegorz Kowalski 7th Jun 17, 11:19 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Grzegorz Kowalski
    • 7th Jun 17, 11:19 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 11:19 PM
    Every seller is taking advantage, sometimes short term - sometimes long term, but in essence: they just want to earn money. You wanted to buy something that supposed to improve your life (retail therapy), that's also fine. Just wait the three weeks for your new licence and enjoy your new vehicle. I would guess it is quite normal to have a 'second thoughts' after a hot-head purchase...
    • keith969
    • By keith969 8th Jun 17, 7:15 AM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 878 Thanks
    keith969
    • 8th Jun 17, 7:15 AM
    • 8th Jun 17, 7:15 AM
    I was always taught 'preparation is the key to success'.
    Heaven wasn't built in a day
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 8th Jun 17, 7:23 AM
    • 10,848 Posts
    • 14,990 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 8th Jun 17, 7:23 AM
    • 8th Jun 17, 7:23 AM

Can you summarise the issue in a few bullet points? I couldn't understand the question.
    Originally posted by zx81
    Essentially women can't be trusted to buy cars.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • Edi81
    • By Edi81 8th Jun 17, 7:37 AM
    • 274 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    Edi81
    • 8th Jun 17, 7:37 AM
    • 8th Jun 17, 7:37 AM
    Harsh pixie.

It sounds as though the dealer hasn't explained things to you. When getting car finance you need to supply your driving licence in a disclosed address which needs to be valid.

My one concern for you is that they have done you on the finance agreement and have arranged an extortionate interest rate.

Please please double check the finance agreement before signing it.
    • heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 8th Jun 17, 7:56 AM
    • 7,593 Posts
    • 16,749 Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    • 8th Jun 17, 7:56 AM
    • 8th Jun 17, 7:56 AM
    Originally posted by Pixie5740
    In the OP's opinion.

I've never had a problem...

HBS x
    I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.

#JC4PM
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 8th Jun 17, 9:13 AM
    • 10,848 Posts
    • 14,990 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 8th Jun 17, 9:13 AM
    • 8th Jun 17, 9:13 AM
    In the OP's opinion.

I've never had a problem...

HBS x
    Originally posted by heartbreak_star
    Nor have I. I was just summarising the OP for zx81.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • Placitasgirl
    • By Placitasgirl 8th Jun 17, 10:08 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    Placitasgirl
    • 8th Jun 17, 10:08 AM
    • 8th Jun 17, 10:08 AM
    It is a legal requirement for your driving licence to be up to date, so you must assume responsibility for that.

I too worry that you perhaps haven't had a clear breakdown of the cost of finance for the new car. If you haven't collected the vehicle yet why are you taxing and insuring it? Presumably it's still sitting at the showroom waiting for everything else to complete?

As zx81 said, your Credit Score is completely irrelevant; it's just a number that only you see. If you apply for credit it's your credit file that important, and not your score.
    • ffacoffipawb
    • By ffacoffipawb 10th Jun 17, 11:17 AM
    • 2,375 Posts
    • 1,520 Thanks
    ffacoffipawb
    Originally posted by Pixie5740
    They can't be trusted to call elections.
    • Mobeer
    • By Mobeer 11th Jun 17, 1:10 AM
    • 1,697 Posts
    • 4,369 Thanks
    Mobeer
    From what I can see:
    - you failed to keep your licence up to date; this is now being resolved
    - you have taken out insurance a bit ahead of time
    - the salesman made an administrative mistake in your details when dealing with the finance company; this is now being resolved, and a small amount of compensation offered

Sounds like you have things under control.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,030Posts Today

6,767Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• Follow Martin