Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cc1222wbsb
    • By cc1222wbsb 7th Jun 17, 9:54 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    cc1222wbsb
    Rent payment advice please
    • 7th Jun 17, 9:54 PM
    Rent payment advice please 7th Jun 17 at 9:54 PM
    When I moved into my property 16 months ago, cutting a long story short I had to pay a double deposit and had the rent increased by £100 per month to allow me to take my dogs which I was originally told were aloud in the house when viewed, I also paid up 6 months in advance along with all the fees so in total nearly 9k which used up all my money I had.
    Since the 6 months ran out I have been a few days late paying due to when my wages go in my bank but I'm not in arrears.
    I had asked many time if it was possible to change my rent date so I wasn't late but this has been declined. In January I was served notice because of the rent being few days late each month. This was withdraw on the understanding I had to pay another months rent in advance so I was always 2 months ahead the agents/owner said.
    In March due to mental health issues I had time off work and as I don't get sick pay my wage was affected greatly so I didn't pay that month I was never contacted by the agents and have paid the following months rent so am not in arrears.
    Yesterday I was emailed saying I hadn't paid rent in February or March and I need to pay this up as to remain property I need to be 2 months in advance. February was paid but as stated above March wasn't. This request for the extra rent to stay in house was verbal only so where do I stand ?
    I'm a single parent and don't get help with my rent so finding another months isn't an option for me again.
Page 2
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 8th Jun 17, 2:20 PM
    • 3,766 Posts
    • 2,351 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Not very politically correct of you to say about dogs. People do love their dogs and it does help their mental health to an extent.

However OP, you also need to think about budgeting to see if you can afford to pay rent and look after yourself and the dog. Check out the debt free wannabee forum to reduce your outgoings
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • tightasagnats
    • By tightasagnats 8th Jun 17, 4:50 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    tightasagnats
    Wow, you've had a bit it of a rough ride on here from some folks for some reason. I agree with the previous poster, dogs aren't just an expense, they may be holding this person together/bringing comfort, they've stated several times they've been experiencing mental health issues, so go easy for heaven's sake.

You may find it helpful to speak with MIND or Shelter 0808 169 6839, both of who have experience of housing issues and mental health/HB issues and may be able to help draft a letter or clarify this and other legal issues around your contract. If you think you may have issues again with your health, they may also be able to offer some support that helps you manage etc. or anyone else reading this in the same boat.

Good luck and I hope you get your situation sorted.
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 8th Jun 17, 5:59 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 3,187 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    I suspect that your landlord is asking you to pay an "extra" month's rent so that when you pay on your payday, you're actually paying the rent that's due on the 27th of the following month rather than the rent due the 27th a few days ago. They're probably quite fed up with the frequent lateness and are suggesting this to help you make sure your rent is paid up before it's due. You don't have to agree but you do need to figure out some way to pay on time, you've had lots of suggestions so I hope one of them works for you
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 8th Jun 17, 9:09 PM
    • 41,065 Posts
    • 47,176 Thanks
    G_M
    Not very politically correct of you to say about dogs. People do love their dogs and it does help their mental health to an extent.
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    Sorry - I had no idea political correctness extended to dogs now.

I've kept up with most developments in society since my youth: feminism, racial equality, age equality, sexual orientation, but if the equality of dogs (or more broadly animals? or pets?) has passed me by then.... mea culpa.

I apologise profusely to any dogs reading this thread. No offence was intended.

Haing said that, the OP posted here concerned about rent payment problems, and anxiety about possible eviction.

In the context of the former, review of all outgoings is clearly sensible.

In the context of the latter, consideration of barriers to finding a new home is also sensible.

Of course, the OP must balance those considerations with their own personal preferences, needs, lifestye etc. and decide for himself, but sometimes an objective view can assist with that decision. Indeed, that's often the strength of a forum like this.
    Last edited by G_M; 08-06-2017 at 11:59 PM.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 9th Jun 17, 7:14 AM
    • 3,766 Posts
    • 2,351 Thanks
    csgohan4
    no dogs were harmed in the making of this thread
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • tightasagnats
    • By tightasagnats 9th Jun 17, 5:37 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    tightasagnats
    Just to clarify, for the more concrete on here, the political incorrectness seemed to refer to suggesting that someone who has had mental health difficulties get rid of perhaps an important source of companionship. If you prefer, we could just agree on it being "insensitive" or "cold" or "heartless"....which do you prefer?
    • Mela322
    • By Mela322 10th Jun 17, 7:44 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Mela322
    I agree that dogs can be companions but when you are a single parent struggling to pay your rent and could be facing eviction, the dogs need to go! It's ridiculous to read that people think it's ok to face being homeless because the dog is "family". Your child is your priority, not dogs!
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 10th Jun 17, 9:47 AM
    • 3,156 Posts
    • 5,443 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    I don't agree that the dogs need to go, I said find somewhere cheaper to rent instead. Getting rid of the dogs won't magically fix the problem.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 10th Jun 17, 10:04 AM
    • 10,819 Posts
    • 14,946 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    Finding a landlord willing to let you have a dog can be tricky and trying to find a landlord willing to take dogs, plural, will be even more difficult. That said, I wouldn't be keen on getting rid of family pets either and would try my damnedest to keep them.

I think an extra £100 ppm is steep to be able to have dogs. Most landlords I've known to allow pets just ask for an extra deposit not extra rent.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 10th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    • 2,906 Posts
    • 1,784 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    It seems that you, the original poster, seem to think that it's okay to be a few days late with your rent. It isn't. You must pay on time. So you need to save a bit so that you can pay it when it is due. To you it's just a few days but your landlord may well be relying on that money to pay his own bills on time. If you need help in sorting your money out then go to the Citizens Advice people, they will help you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,363Posts Today

8,757Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin