MetLife being recommended by IFA

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,011
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Post GMP is only £340

But revaluing in deferment by fixed or full rate.

https://www.barnett-waddingham.co.uk/comment-insight/blog/2014/08/18/what-is-a-gmp/
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I misread the post as McLife, I thought McDonald's was doing finance!
  • xylophone
    Forumite
    I misread the post as McLife, I thought McDonald's was doing finance!

Anything Ford can do Mac can do better?:D
  • RADDERS
    RADDERS Posts: 241
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    xylophone wrote: »

Just double checked my paperwork and it is £340 per annum, increasing before retirement 4.75% after retirement 5%
    Thanks again for any assistance
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,861
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    If I understand it correctly as long as I do not touch the pension (which at the present time we have no need to) the capital grows at a minimum of 3% per annum and there is a daily lockout on this product.

If you don't touch the pension then 3% is a dire rate of return.

For the up to 1.2% per annum MetLife charge for guarantees a woman aged 54 in good health could purchase guaranteed whole of life insurance of 77% of the investment, which barring an unprecedented stock market catastrophe will give you better security than MetLife will.

The best you can say about MetLife is that if an adviser has tried to convince you that investment risk is a good thing, and been forced to admit defeat, by recommending one he avoids the risk that you complain when the stockmarket falls, and he also avoids the risk that you complain that he should have tried to convince you harder after you realise how much money you've lost by letting inflation eat away your savings. But there are much better solutions no matter what the problem is.
  • RADDERS
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks for all the helpful advice, I guess it's back to the IFA then and see what else she can recommend.
    Cheers Radders
  • xylophone
    Forumite
    Just double checked my paperwork and it is £340 per annum, increasing before retirement 4.75% after retirement 5%

You have a statement showing post 88 GMP and excess.
    It seems that your GMP is revaluing in deferment by Fixed Rate and the excess by scheme/statutory rules - see

https://www.barnett-waddingham.co.uk/comment-insight/blog/2012/07/24/revaluation-for-early-leavers/

GMP age for a female is still 60,

In payment, your Scheme has to index link the GMP portion up to 3% CPI and the excess according to scheme rules - what does your scheme booklet say about index linking the excess in payment? Is it CPI/RPI/ up to a maximum of 5% regardless of whether inflation is higher?

Your IFA should be able to tell you.
  • RADDERS
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    xylophone wrote: »
    You have a statement showing post 88 GMP and excess.
    It seems that your GMP is revaluing in deferment by Fixed Rate and the excess by scheme/statutory rules - see

https://www.barnett-waddingham.co.uk/comment-insight/blog/2012/07/24/revaluation-for-early-leavers/

GMP age for a female is still 60,

In payment, your Scheme has to index link the GMP portion up to 3% CPI and the excess according to scheme rules - what does your scheme booklet say about index linking the excess in payment? Is it CPI/RPI/ up to a maximum of 5% regardless of whether inflation is higher?

Your IFA should be able to tell you.

CPI upto a maximum of 2.5% post 1997 and CPI upto a maximum of 5% for the other before retirement.
    LPI to a maximum of 5% after retirement for everything.
    I have the paperwork but isn't that easy to understand lol
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 9 June 2017 at 11:06AM
    RADDERS wrote: »
    Thanks for all the helpful advice, I guess it's back to the IFA then and see what else she can recommend.
    Cheers Radders

Fire the IFA. You received bad advice once so don't compound the mistake. If you want to avoid risk then the DB pension sounds just right. Is your DB pension index linked? Have you compared the internal rate of return of the DB plan and the MetLife option (including all fees) for an average lifespan.

I't doesn't sound as if your husband will be in financial difficulty if you pre-decease him, but if you are worried about that I like the option of buying some straight no frills life insurance.

You said you have savings.....how are they invested?
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,910
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Fire the IFA. You received bad advice once so don't compound the mistake.

How was the advice bad?
    If you want to avoid risk then the DB pension sounds just right and 3% minimum return is pretty good with no risk.

Did you not read the comment about death benefits?
    but if you are worried about that I like the option of buying some straight no frills life insurance.
    That option would already have been costed and compared as part of the pension transfer process.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure