Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 7th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    • 1,417Posts
    • 157Thanks
    adonis10
    Specavers contact lenses and solution
    • 7th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    Specavers contact lenses and solution 7th Jun 17 at 3:40 PM
    Does anyone know what the actual difference is between their various types of solution? Used to have monthly lenses and the green pack solution, but now have fortnightly and the "ultra vision" solution. Have a full green bottle of solution left but only a week of the current one, went to get some more and it's £21 for 3 bottles which is ludicrous. Is there any difference or is it just a marketing scam?
Page 1
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 7th Jun 17, 4:43 PM
    • 6,227 Posts
    • 11,233 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 7th Jun 17, 4:43 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 4:43 PM
    Yes there's a difference, the Specsavers solutions are repackaged solutions that were made by cooper vision (it's been a few years since I worked for speccys so this might have changed). They have peroxide, the green box, blue box and purple boxes all have different preserving agents in them so work better for different lenses. As an optom I never saw the need to change a solution unless the patient was showing signs of not tolerating the old solution but I know Specsavers had a push to get everyone onto one or the other at one point as it was more profitable.

Why did you change lenses? Were you having issues with dry eye or protein build up?
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 7th Jun 17, 5:03 PM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    adonis10
    • 7th Jun 17, 5:03 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 5:03 PM
    Yes there's a difference, the Specsavers solutions are repackaged solutions that were made by cooper vision (it's been a few years since I worked for speccys so this might have changed). They have peroxide, the green box, blue box and purple boxes all have different preserving agents in them so work better for different lenses. As an optom I never saw the need to change a solution unless the patient was showing signs of not tolerating the old solution but I know Specsavers had a push to get everyone onto one or the other at one point as it was more profitable.

Why did you change lenses? Were you having issues with dry eye or protein build up?
    Originally posted by GlasweJen
    Had a slight issue with irritation under my eye lid so it was suggested that I try a thinner lens, so went from monthlies to fortnightlies.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 8th Jun 17, 8:40 PM
    • 6,227 Posts
    • 11,233 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:40 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 8:40 PM
    They've probably changed the solution at the same time in case you were reacting to the preservative.

I love fortnightly lenses as I personally got on best with acuvue oasys cleaned with peroxide but I'd never prescribe them unless I absolutely had to as compliance with them was rubbish. Had so many people turn up with month old fortnightly lenses in their eyes, nightmare fits.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 27th Jun 17, 12:27 PM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    adonis10
    • 27th Jun 17, 12:27 PM
    • 27th Jun 17, 12:27 PM
    I cannot believe how unsuitable the fortnightly lenses are! I have had to buy spares from Vision Direct because they last 1 week tops; yesterday morning I put a new one in and when I put it in this morning it felt horrible so washed it etc. to no avail and had to open a new one, which was absolutely fine.

Could this be because they are not suited to my eyes or perhaps the solution I am using? I am using the 2nd one (easyvision allpurpose) https://www.specsavers.co.uk/contact-lenses/categories/solutions

Which other could I try to sort out this issue? I am simply not buying the recommended one from specsavers at £7/bottle, I am considering this one as it is a much more sensible price - http://www.visiondirect.co.uk/solutions-eye-care/everclear-flat-pack-multi-purpose-solution-3-pack
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 27th Jun 17, 8:36 PM
    • 2,743 Posts
    • 6,115 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 27th Jun 17, 8:36 PM
    • 27th Jun 17, 8:36 PM
    My husband has the lenses sent to him by mail & I noticed that Specsavers had changed his solution to the all purpose instead of his usual peroxide.

As he changed to varifocals we queried this with his store & was told that as the all purpose solution was now less irritant customers were being swopped over.

As I have the peroxide it makes life easier when we go away to have the same solution so we've got them to change his back
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 28th Jun 17, 10:19 AM
    • 6,227 Posts
    • 11,233 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 28th Jun 17, 10:19 AM
    • 28th Jun 17, 10:19 AM
    I cannot believe how unsuitable the fortnightly lenses are! I have had to buy spares from Vision Direct because they last 1 week tops; yesterday morning I put a new one in and when I put it in this morning it felt horrible so washed it etc. to no avail and had to open a new one, which was absolutely fine.

Could this be because they are not suited to my eyes or perhaps the solution I am using? I am using the 2nd one (easyvision allpurpose) https://www.specsavers.co.uk/contact-lenses/categories/solutions

Which other could I try to sort out this issue? I am simply not buying the recommended one from specsavers at £7/bottle, I am considering this one as it is a much more sensible price - http://www.visiondirect.co.uk/solutions-eye-care/everclear-flat-pack-multi-purpose-solution-3-pack
    Originally posted by adonis10
    Depends on the fortnightly, Johnson and Johnson I always found like to be cleaned in peroxide, Specsavers had an own brand one in yellow packaging and that was just a nightmare of a lens in general.

NOT BUYING IT
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 28th Jun 17, 11:27 AM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    adonis10
    • 28th Jun 17, 11:27 AM
    • 28th Jun 17, 11:27 AM
    Depends on the fortnightly, Johnson and Johnson I always found like to be cleaned in peroxide, Specsavers had an own brand one in yellow packaging and that was just a nightmare of a lens in general.
    These.. http://www.visiondirect.co.uk/acuvue-oasys?business=adwords-product&gclid=CN_MqP2p4NQCFYK97QodVOsIIw
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 28th Jun 17, 11:53 AM
    • 6,227 Posts
    • 11,233 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 28th Jun 17, 11:53 AM
    • 28th Jun 17, 11:53 AM
    Those lenses definitely prefer peroxide, is that what Specsavers were trying to sell you? The cleaning barrel would have a black disc inside it to neutralise the bleach

NOT BUYING IT
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 28th Jun 17, 2:35 PM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    adonis10
    Those lenses definitely prefer peroxide, is that what Specsavers were trying to sell you? The cleaning barrel would have a black disc inside it to neutralise the bleach
    Not sure if that is what they were trying to sell.

No, I just have a normal white plastic case to store them in.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 7th Jul 17, 8:01 AM
    • 10,249 Posts
    • 9,309 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    I've never dabbled with fortnightly /monthly lenses. I only use dailies though i do double dip them, ie whip them out on day one,give them a rub and a rinse in some soaking solution and slip them in a lens case overnight with clean soaking solution. Every other day i thorughly clean the case with hot water and anti microbial spray and let it air dry. Note, i am not recommening this, this is my personal choice
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 7th Jul 17, 8:18 AM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    adonis10
    I've never dabbled with fortnightly /monthly lenses. I only use dailies though i do double dip them, ie whip them out on day one,give them a rub and a rinse in some soaking solution and slip them in a lens case overnight with clean soaking solution. Every other day i thorughly clean the case with hot water and anti microbial spray and let it air dry. Note, i am not recommening this, this is my personal choice
    Originally posted by C_Mababejive
    Where do you get them and for how much?

I think dailies will be the next thing to try for me. I found monthlies last d really well, but these fortnightlies are terrible - fine when in and working but last a maximum of a week.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 7th Jul 17, 8:55 PM
    • 10,249 Posts
    • 9,309 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    Where do you get them and for how much?

I think dailies will be the next thing to try for me. I found monthlies last d really well, but these fortnightlies are terrible - fine when in and working but last a maximum of a week.
    Originally posted by adonis10

Hi

I buy them direct from my optometrist as his prices cant be beaten.

I currently use coopervision Softique one day dailies and just checking his price is £78 for 90 pairs. I can make 90 pairs last 6 months as i double dip and dont always wear contacts every day so that works out about £26 per month or £13 pm if i double dip

The cheapest he does is bausch and lomb 90 pairs @ £72
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 10th Jul 17, 11:10 AM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    adonis10
    Hi

I buy them direct from my optometrist as his prices cant be beaten.

I currently use coopervision Softique one day dailies and just checking his price is £78 for 90 pairs. I can make 90 pairs last 6 months as i double dip and dont always wear contacts every day so that works out about £26 per month or £13 pm if i double dip

The cheapest he does is bausch and lomb 90 pairs @ £72
    Originally posted by C_Mababejive
    Thanks for the info. Good idea about double dipping, I'd do the same - works out much cheaper than Specsavers' ~£30 month. However, that does come with the annual check ups included and availability to have appointments whenever required if there are any issues, eye problems etc.

How much do you pay for your annual checks, ad hoc visits etc.? I am trying to decide if it is worth coming off the lensmail package and just sourcing my own lenses online.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 11th Jul 17, 11:18 AM
    • 6,227 Posts
    • 11,233 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Please for the love of god don't put water in a contact lens case. Rinsing the case with contact lens solution and air drying it is enough. I can't say it enough water and contact lenses do not mix. Don't rinse lenses in water, don't swim in your contacts, don't put your lenses in when your hands are still damp and never put water in your lens case.

NOT BUYING IT
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 11th Jul 17, 11:20 AM
    • 6,227 Posts
    • 11,233 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Oh and reusing non-reusable lenses is silly, you don't want to watch while a surgeon is scraping your torn old lens off your cornea with just a couple of numbing drops for anaesthetic

NOT BUYING IT
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 16th Jul 17, 4:31 PM
    • 10,249 Posts
    • 9,309 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    Glaswejen is of course correct. Contact lens wearers must follow strict hygiene regimes and use their lenses as precribed.

See here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acanthamoeba_keratitis

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1771120/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

166Posts Today

1,348Users online

Martin's Twitter