Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pookiefk1
    • By pookiefk1 7th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    pookiefk1
    Vodafone
    • 7th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    Vodafone 7th Jun 17 at 2:42 PM
    Hey wondered if any of you could help me, I took out an iphone for my son at £35 a month, for a iphone 6s i think - this was fine at the time but my husband has passed away and money is tighter and i am struggling i asked if i could cancel and they said it was £700 early upgrade is £594 but i can then go on to a £18.90 a month deal - do you think i should do that or just try and stick it out?
    thank you
Page 1
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 7th Jun 17, 3:38 PM
    • 2,470 Posts
    • 18,252 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 7th Jun 17, 3:38 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 3:38 PM
    If money is that tight, can you actually afford to pay off £594 though? At least at £35 a month it will help you budget better rather than have such a big amount to find at once.

A better option though would be to sell the phone, and put that towards the monthly cost. Even a 16GB iPhone6s should get you well over £200 on ebay. If it has more storage then you will obviously get more for it. Then buy a cheap £20 phone and put the sim in that.

Alternatively, could your son not pay for it himself?

Just to add, it's refreshing that a thread like this isn't about someone trying to get out of the contract for free, but someone who has actually done the research themselves and knows their options.

• macman
    • By macman 7th Jun 17, 4:44 PM
    • 40,880 Posts
    • 16,687 Thanks
    macman
    • 7th Jun 17, 4:44 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 4:44 PM
    Assuming your son is a minor, is the contract in your name or possibly in your late husbands? If the latter, the contract is void from the date of his death.
    If not, then as suggested above, sell the phone and use the SIM in another handset until end of minimum term. How long to go?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • pookiefk1
    • By pookiefk1 13th Jun 17, 11:39 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pookiefk1
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:39 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:39 AM
    the phone was in my name, I have since found out that I can get a discount on the vodafone advantage scheme cause i work for a company that you get a discount which has never once been mentioned to me even when i took this out - BUT to get this i would need to upgrade ?????!!!!! what would be your next move - kick up a big stink and complaint or what would you do - sorry for being a pain in the bum people xx
    • pookiefk1
    • By pookiefk1 13th Jun 17, 11:41 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pookiefk1
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:41 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:41 AM
    my son is 15 in august
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 13th Jun 17, 11:45 AM
    • 31,216 Posts
    • 36,913 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:45 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:45 AM
    unlock the iphone , sell it for cash and use it to pay ongoing monthly paymants

get him a cheap android phone to replace
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 13th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    • 2,470 Posts
    • 18,252 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    I can get a discount on the vodafone advantage scheme cause i work for a company that you get a discount which has never once been mentioned to me even when i took this out
    Originally posted by pookiefk1
    It would be down to you to ask for it. I doubt the staff at Vodafone know all the participating companies. There are probably hundreds on the VEA. It's been a while since I had a contract, but do they even ask you your employers name?

BUT to get this i would need to upgrade ?????!!!!!
    Yep, you have to apply for it within a certain amount of time (30 days) at the start of the contract.

https://advantage.vodafone.co.uk/

kick up a big stink and complaint or what would you do
    Complain about what? As I said, it is down to you to let them know if you are entitled to a discount.

what would be your next move
    As has been said, sell the iPhone, put the money towards paying for the contract and get him a cheap Android phone to put the sim in. No it won't be all singing and dancing, but when money is tight a fancy mobile phone is a luxury not a neccessity.

my son is 15 in august
    Does he have a part time job? Paper round etc. Can he not contribute at all to help you out at at difficult time?
    Last edited by mije1983; 13-06-2017 at 3:16 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

188Posts Today

1,195Users online

Martin's Twitter