Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gillsmills
    • By gillsmills 7th Jun 17, 2:32 PM
    • 47Posts
    • 34Thanks
    gillsmills
    computer help request
    • 7th Jun 17, 2:32 PM
    computer help request 7th Jun 17 at 2:32 PM
    At present I am operating on Windows XP ...yes I know well out of date....am looking to get a new desktop computer with a more modern and up to date operating system, I am also using an I pad air too. Would somebody please give me some advice on what would be a good pc to consider, I just need it for internet, email, and job applications as I will be looking for a new job about September time. I'd also like recommendations on a printer too so that I can print from my I pad and desktop too, thanks in anticipation.
Page 3
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 9th Jun 17, 10:33 AM
    • 650 Posts
    • 573 Thanks
    Sicard
    Bad advice. If you are having issues you would be better sorting them.
    What problems have you got?
    Originally posted by RumRat
    Thanks for your kind offer: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5653104

W10 issues is usually down to users not knowing how to use it.

Never had any w10 issues since its public launch, although had a few in the insider program, but all fixed and ironed out before public release.

why tell someone to chose a OS that is EOL and will no be supported by Microsoft and will not get an security patches or updates
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    W7 support ends in 2020.

Here's an entire board with separate forums devoted to sorting out the many various W10 problems:
    https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-forums/

Here's a selection of problems:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/multiple-problems-with-w10/166891f8-025d-4131-b475-504fa7bcbd2d

As I indicated I never had so many problems with xp nor Vista, I never touched Millenium and the most stable os for me was W2k.
    A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends.
    Baltasar Gracian
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 9th Jun 17, 10:54 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    angryparcel
    Thanks for your kind offer: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5653104

W7 support ends in 2020.

Here's an entire board with separate forums devoted to sorting out the many various W10 problems:
    https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-forums/

Here's a selection of problems:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/multiple-problems-with-w10/166891f8-025d-4131-b475-504fa7bcbd2d

As I indicated I never had so many problems with xp nor Vista, I never touched Millenium and the most stable os for me was W2k.
    Originally posted by Sicard
    Millenium was just win98SE

but look at MS OS history it all follows a pattern

good,bad,good,bad,good,bad

at in W7good, W8bad, W8.1good so they thought to break the cycle w9 would be skipped to win10.

I have never had any issues with Win10

Win 7 End of mainstream support January 13, 2015, extended support which is limited support is January 14, 2020
    so until January 14, 2020 MS will issue security updates/patches, but you could not call them and get tech support
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 9th Jun 17, 11:42 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    angryparcel
    I run a few Win10 machines and the user experience is dreadful, every time I upgrade they put their crap (that I previously removed) back.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    I have never had any crap through win 10. any software will replace anything you previously removed even in win 7 if you auto update, if the items are in the core files.

but at least you can remove them from windows. i am sick of Apple when they update Ios on iphone or ipad they will add another app that you cannot remove
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 9th Jun 17, 11:52 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    WAYT
    just got reply from encore

this is MB specs
    http://ark.intel.com/products/51997/Intel-Desktop-Board-DQ67SW
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    Looks good to me.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 9th Jun 17, 11:58 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    WAYT
    I have to disagree, .....
    I'm guessing that they were referring to Vista, not Windows 7. Though I could be wrong.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 9th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 1,342 Thanks
    RumRat
    I have to disagree, etc.etc.

So IMO and it is an opinion that people pay big money for, staying with Win7 is actually good advice. Now you and others are entitled to their own opinion, perhaps you have lower needs or expectations.
    I think I'd be asking for a refund.....You seem to have a lot of problems not experienced here.....
    That'll be a tenner.......
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 9th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    angryparcel
    I think I'd be asking for a refund.....You seem to have a lot of problems not experienced here.....
    That'll be a tenner.......
    Maybe the problem is not the software but this

Now I am capable, I can figure out and create registry files to undo this crap,
    messing about with the registry files and removing stuff win 10 uses to run smoothly
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 10th Jun 17, 8:03 AM
    • 650 Posts
    • 573 Thanks
    Sicard
    The W10 bullies rule okay.
    A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends.
    Baltasar Gracian
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 10th Jun 17, 9:53 AM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 1,342 Thanks
    RumRat
    The W10 bullies rule okay.
    Originally posted by Sicard
    Obviously, you not being able to join in the discussion is proving to be a difficulty for you.
    Perhaps you could articulate your problems and possibly, obtain some assistance in resolving them.
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 10th Jun 17, 11:40 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    WAYT
    computer help request

Just a reminder.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 10th Jun 17, 2:16 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    WAYT
    What like the pointless debate over whether something is a Notebook, Netbook, Laptop or Portable computer!!??
    Nothing like that, as I had already posted a solution to the problem in that thread. Which the originating poster acknowledged and thanked for personally.

Whereas, the originating poster here needs help in purchasing a computer.
    You have posted your opinion of Windows 10, which is fine. But now I reminding you of the need to help the originating poster, as opposed to your own ego.

Make sure that they have reached a conclusion, before dragging the thread off topic.
    • Tiexen
    • By Tiexen 10th Jun 17, 3:59 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Tiexen
    I'd forget all the above and buy one of these (I did) @£500

Looks good, only one plug, 1 box will do everything you want.

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=W3A67EA&opt=ABU&sel=DTP

HP 22-b030na All-in-One (White)
    • Windows 10 Home 64
    • Intel® Core™ i3-6100U processor
    • 54.6 cm (21.5") diagonal Full-HD (1920 x 1080) display
    • 8GB RAM and 1TB storage
    • USB Keyboard and Mouse
    Last edited by Tiexen; 10-06-2017 at 4:01 PM.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 10th Jun 17, 5:16 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    WAYT
    I'd forget all the above and buy one of these (I did) @£500

Looks good, only one plug, 1 box will do everything you want.

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=W3A67EA&opt=ABU&sel=DTP

HP 22-b030na All-in-One (White)
    • Windows 10 Home 64
    • Intel® Core™ i3-6100U processor
    • 54.6 cm (21.5") diagonal Full-HD (1920 x 1080) display
    • 8GB RAM and 1TB storage
    • USB Keyboard and Mouse
    Originally posted by Tiexen

I don't think anyone here would agree with you.
    But at least you would bring everyone who previously disagreed on the thread together.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 10th Jun 17, 5:57 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    WAYT
    I am with WAYT on this one, he and others have posted much better value replacements on other threads

Of course not much point wasting time on this thread as OP has not bothered to come back and engage.
    Still a useful thread, as they might take note of lack of the necessity of spending such a large amount on a new PC. The STONE PC would more than suffice for their needs. Certainly more powerful than any PC that I own and I am not wanting for PC performance.
    Together with a new 23" IPS monitor, a less than a £250 spend to include an Wireless AC USB network adaptor.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 10th Jun 17, 10:27 PM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 1,342 Thanks
    RumRat
    WAYT I think they should take your advice and give the difference to Charity, I will never understand why people spend so much money, some even buy them on credit.

Even when I have loads of money I am still tight.
    No pockets in shrouds.....What exactly are you hoarding money for?
    I'll never understand people with hoards of money that scrimp over everything.
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 10th Jun 17, 10:43 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    angryparcel
    Still a useful thread, as they might take note of lack of the necessity of spending such a large amount on a new PC. The STONE PC would more than suffice for their needs. Certainly more powerful than any PC that I own and I am not wanting for PC performance.
    Together with a new 23" IPS monitor, a less than a £250 spend to include an Wireless AC USB network adaptor.
    Originally posted by WAYT
    and its more powerful than my current 10 year old Dell Vostro 200. that in 10 years only mechanical failure was the power switch 3 years ago which only cost me £20 to get fixed by a local PC repair store, but i have upgraded it as much as i can and takes approx. 3 goes to boot it up in the morning
    • were
    • By were 10th Jun 17, 11:28 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    were
    Er.... this is MONEYSAVINGEXPERT site? Do you expect to go to an auto site, and think they teach you how to bake? How do you think people get hoards of cash?
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 10th Jun 17, 11:50 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    angryparcel
    WAYT I think they should take your advice and give the difference to Charity, I will never understand why people spend so much money, some even buy them on credit.

Even when I have loads of money I am still tight.
    i saw a laptop in the window of Brighthouse the other day £300. with their weekly payment plan you would be paying just under £1000 and i bet people with buy them
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 10th Jun 17, 11:56 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    angryparcel
    Just because you have money why should you get ripped off

People say shop local, now i shop with my wallet. I checked a local PC store for a PC and they quoted me £320, but had to wait a few days for them to get 1 in stock, but as i have the make and model i did a google search and found the same machine for £220, so why should i pay 320 if i can get the same thing for 220
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 11th Jun 17, 12:37 AM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 1,342 Thanks
    RumRat
    Er.... this is MONEYSAVINGEXPERT site? Do you expect to go to an auto site, and think they teach you how to bake? How do you think people get hoards of cash?
    Originally posted by were
    Er.....I think you missed the point entirely....
    I don't give a fig if you scrimp and scrape for whatever obscure reason.
    Personally I save money to buy decent things. I see no point to saving money otherwise.
    Which is why I wouldn't buy a cheap banger just because it can drive me from A - B as well as a nice car could.
    Sometimes, it's nice to not have to just do...............
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

214Posts Today

1,242Users online

Martin's Twitter