Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jondav
    • By jondav 7th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    • 550Posts
    • 368Thanks
    jondav
    New Netbook - not enough storage
    • 7th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    New Netbook - not enough storage 7th Jun 17 at 1:56 PM
    Hoping someone can advise. I was given a new netbook as a Christmas gift (great!) however I am having issues with it in the fact that the storage is so small, I can't even run the basic Windows updates.

I'm now getting Microsoft notifications for important updates that I cannot install because there isn't enough free space. So within 6 months it is basically unusable.

Would I be within my rights to take this back, explain the situation and look to get something else?

The reason I ask is that it was actually advertised as a laptop and not being very techie, my OH trusted what he was told.....big mistake I know but that's done now. It is very naughty to sell these things as laptops and not explain to people how limited they are.
Page 4
    • jondav
    • By jondav 9th Jun 17, 12:26 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    jondav
    UPDATE and Thanks
    This post is really to WAYT , kwikbreaks and jivesinger.

I didn't quote you originally, but I did take note of the suggestions that you all gave me.

I am not confident to try any of these suggestions myself, but I have shown them to someone who is
    more tech-savvy than me and they are confident that they can try this for me....and also that it will work.

Just wanted to come back and say thank you for your input
    • almillar
    • By almillar 9th Jun 17, 12:58 PM
    • 6,884 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    almillar
    I corrected you
    as a Notebook and Laptop are 2 different things
    Fair enough, I just use laptop as a generic term, like a lot of the world it seems. Not relevant to OP's problem though.
    But the OP is in the UK and has issues with a NOTEBOOK and not a Laptop, i also provided links telling the difference
    I'll correct you - OP says, in the title, that it's a NETbook. So an even less powerful device than a NOTEbook, and for most people, a secondary device.

It's good that you won't argue, because the whole correction of almillar's post was entirely pedantic.
    I did think that. And it was also wrong, as the OP says it's a NETbook, not a NOTEbook. No reason not to completely derail the thread though!

That wasnt me - and i respect Almillar's posts - however it was a "correct correction"
    Correcting laptop was correct. Correcting to Notebook was not. Then a whole argument ensued about Notebook vs laptop, whereas OP actually claims to have a NETbook, even further down the ladder.

Nah - its OK - If ASUS want to market their laptops as notebooks thats fine by me
    This is precicesly the problem - most people say 'laptop'. No one speaks quickly in conversation saying 'Oh, I've got the spreadsheet, but it's at home on my Ultrabook'. Even computer companies interchange the terms.

Sorry to disappoint but I am "the wife". It was actually hubby that bought it for me, I did say that very early on and have repeated it since.....if you had bothered to read properly you may have picked up on that.
    Sorry I missed that. How did you get on with the useful advice I provided, amongst others? Need any help?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

128Posts Today

2,046Users online

Martin's Twitter