Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Matthew
    • By MSE Matthew 7th Jun 17, 1:50 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 16Thanks
    MSE Matthew
    UPDATED with Link! There's a new Broadband Tool coming to MSE and we need YOUR help!
    • 7th Jun 17, 1:50 PM
    UPDATED with Link! There's a new Broadband Tool coming to MSE and we need YOUR help! 7th Jun 17 at 1:50 PM

Hello, Forumites!

<<<<<<<<THREAD UPDATE>>>>>>>>

So you now know about this top-secret tool that we've been working on, we still need your feedback. It's your chance to directly shape what we're doing here at MSE Towers!

We've been creating a Broadband tool that shows the VERY BEST BROADBAND DEALS in the market and we'd love to give our Forumites EARLY ACCESS to the BETA version to see what you think!

We're hoping to give it full launch in the coming weeks, but want to see what you all think before it hits the masses. This'll be the first time anyone outside of the office has seen the tool, so I hope you're as excited as we are!

So in a nutshell
    'TRY OUT OUR BROADBAND TOOL AND LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!'

So, to see the tool and give it a whirl see the link below:
    [Unbundled broadband tool]

We'd love to know your comments here or in our optional FEEDBACK SURVEY (don't worry it's safe and anonymous) and all comments will go towards shaping this tool into being the best that MSE can offer.

Also, if you're unsure about anything - please comment with questions and we'll get back to you asap.

Thanks!

MSE Matthew
    Last edited by MSE Matt; 19-07-2017 at 5:45 PM.
Page 2
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 8th Jul 17, 12:21 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Has anyone received a PM with a link or have they just set Matthew up?
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 8th Jul 17, 12:24 PM
    • 22,442 Posts
    • 55,932 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Is this an MSE tool, or a MoneySupermarket tool?
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • Richard_T_
    • By Richard_T_ 8th Jul 17, 10:36 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Richard_T_
    I'm very soon to be out of contract with plusnet - Plusnet retentions have offered me these deals:
    ADSL Broadband ( upto 17mb) £28.98/month including line rental and fibre for £34 month ( upto 38mb inc line rental) Was told that the deals on the website are for new plusnet customers only and not for existing customers, when I asked about cheaper deals eslewhere and quoted a few prices was told take it or leave it, other providers may offer better prices.
    • chas49
    • By chas49 9th Jul 17, 7:47 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    chas49
    No PM received. Has anyone had one?
    • MSE Matthew
    • By MSE Matthew 10th Jul 17, 9:56 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    MSE Matthew
    Has anyone received a PM with a link or have they just set Matthew up?
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Hey Colin,

Apologies for the delay - I couldn't access the forum from home over the weekend. I've just sent another batch with you included.

Thanks

MSE Matthew
    • MSE Matthew
    • By MSE Matthew 10th Jul 17, 9:59 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    MSE Matthew
    Is this an MSE tool, or a MoneySupermarket tool?
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    Hey Tigsteroonie,

This is most definitely a MoneySavingExpert tool!

Thanks,

MSE Matthew
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 12th Jul 17, 12:19 PM
    • 1,265 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    Roger1
    Thanks, Matthew. I was away and have now tried the link.

Our situation: we are with BT Fibre Infinity 1, expiring August. Our street has recently been cabled and Virgin should soon be possible. We have no interest in Sky, except possibly Sky Atlantic which is unavailable on its own. (We also watch Swiss and German TV via satellite.)

Your link confirms the lack of Virgin at our address, unlike SimplifyDigital who apparently can offer Virgin!

We have decided to continue with BT with minor adjustments - upgrade to Infinity 2, reduced sub, BT Sport for £1.75 p.m. for a year (my interest is just for the Ashes Tests)
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 12th Jul 17, 12:23 PM
    • 992 Posts
    • 816 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    Could I have the link please Matthew?
    • AnnieP6
    • By AnnieP6 12th Jul 17, 12:40 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    AnnieP6
    I've just subscribed so look forward to link.
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 12th Jul 17, 12:54 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 335 Thanks
    mac.d
    I'd like to have a try at this too, please PM me the link. Definitely looking to see what other options are available without having to go through haggling to get a reasonable price every year.
    • A.Penny.Saved
    • By A.Penny.Saved 12th Jul 17, 4:26 PM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 840 Thanks
    A.Penny.Saved
    With a bit of a limited test so far, I can say that I am very disappointed TBH. Testing for broadband only results ie no phone line contract, only gives me the virginmedia option and no separate broadband only deals. The options for broadband and phone also seem very limited.

I did find some broadband only short contract at higher prices with searches I have done in the past. The type of deal you might use to get a newer deal at a provider if you are a customer, move to another supplier and then start a new sign up with the cheaper deal shortly after.

One such deal is by freeola who can offer ADSL2+, the only broadband offered in my area, with a 30 day rolling contract for £15.95. Sky are charging me £17.50 for a lousy connection with 6Mbps down/600kbps upload. These estimate 3Mbps down which is what all providers estimate for my line, 2 to 6Mbps possible and up to 1300kbps upload which is close to what I expect on my line as I did have 1300kbps for a long time with Be Broadband. I have had 7Mbps with Be Broadband and 1300kbps upload, more than twice the upload than what I have with sky. They do also offer a broadband only phone line for £9.98 also with a 30 day rolling contract.

This does not show up on this test Broadband tool. There might be other similar deals but this is one that came up with a quick search. I did find something like it a long time back but did not really investigate it further. It might of been this one or it could of been another but ATM I cannot remember.

They do have fibre deals in some areas but those have a 12 month contract and cost a lot more £32.99 for 76Mbps. There is also the broadband only line for the same £9.98. With that line only freephone and emergency calls are possible outgoing but incoming calls do work.

Is there a reason why things like this are not shown on this broadband checker? So far I have not had time to check it fully but the results do seem a bit limited TBH. This is my feedback so far.
    Last edited by A.Penny.Saved; 12-07-2017 at 4:34 PM.
    • A.Penny.Saved
    • By A.Penny.Saved 12th Jul 17, 4:55 PM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 840 Thanks
    A.Penny.Saved
    Pulse8broadband is another no contract broadband provider which I had bookmarked. They want £19/month with a much higher phone line charge @£13inc however they can provide broadband only with a different/cheaper phone provider. They do also offer £6 for a line with their high end package but that is very expensive@£36, it just doubles the upload speed with a small decrease in download speed. Be Broadband offered a similar extension to their broadband upload speed, I cannot remember the name of the technical term.

These are all missing from the broadband tool. I had one bookmarked and found the other with a quick search.
    Last edited by A.Penny.Saved; 12-07-2017 at 4:57 PM.
    • MSE Matthew
    • By MSE Matthew 13th Jul 17, 11:10 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    MSE Matthew
    I've just subscribed so look forward to link.
    Originally posted by AnnieP6
    Thanks AnnieP6, I've sent you a link to the tool and survey

MSE Matthew
    • MSE Matthew
    • By MSE Matthew 13th Jul 17, 11:11 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    MSE Matthew
    I'd like to have a try at this too, please PM me the link. Definitely looking to see what other options are available without having to go through haggling to get a reasonable price every year.
    Originally posted by mac.d
    Thanks mac.d, I've sent a link to the tool and survey

MSE Matthew
    • MSE Matthew
    • By MSE Matthew 13th Jul 17, 11:11 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    MSE Matthew
    Could I have the link please Matthew?
    Originally posted by ThemeOne
    Thanks ThemeOne, done!

MSE Matthew
    • MSE Matthew
    • By MSE Matthew 13th Jul 17, 11:13 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    MSE Matthew
    No PM received. Has anyone had one?
    Originally posted by chas49
    Hey chas49, I've recently sent you a link - did you get it?

Thanks

MSE Matthew
    • zico
    • By zico 13th Jul 17, 12:44 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    zico
    please send me broadband tool.
    thanks
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 13th Jul 17, 2:36 PM
    • 745 Posts
    • 1,693 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    I had a look at the tool and left some feedback on the survey page.

I think the tool is quite good but not enough to make me pick a deal with doing more comparisons eg. from cashback sites. One likely provider was Oigin, who I know nothing about so I would have to look into them a bit more before committing to them.

Unfortunately Sky came up as the cheapest and I won't be renewing with them.

Thanks for the preview...
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
    • MSE Matthew
    • By MSE Matthew 13th Jul 17, 6:22 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    MSE Matthew
    I had a look at the tool and left some feedback on the survey page.

I think the tool is quite good but not enough to make me pick a deal with doing more comparisons eg. from cashback sites. One likely provider was Oigin, who I know nothing about so I would have to look into them a bit more before committing to them.

Unfortunately Sky came up as the cheapest and I won't be renewing with them.

Thanks for the preview...
    Originally posted by Sam Fallow
    Hey Sam,

You're very welcome - thanks for your feedback

MSE Matthew
    • chas49
    • By chas49 14th Jul 17, 12:51 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    chas49
    Yes thanks. Feedback done also
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,811Posts Today

8,962Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin