Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hattie13
    • By Hattie13 7th Jun 17, 12:40 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Hattie13
    Parking ticket POPLA/UK parking controls Ltd
    • 7th Jun 17, 12:40 PM
    Parking ticket POPLA/UK parking controls Ltd 7th Jun 17 at 12:40 PM
    Hi,
    In March i parked in Julian's car park in Didcot and paid by MyRingo as signage instructed. On the train to London, I received a text to confirm payment (£6.65).
    On return the same day I had a parking charge, stating I had 'parked without paying the parking tariff'. At this point I checked my text again and noticed one letter was incorrect on my car registration ( I had not typed this in, it appeared to have been done automatically by Myringo ( I am aware I must have used this system before but I have no idea when, and I have never had a car park ticket issued before).
    I appealed online the next day as instructed, heard nothing until this week when Debt Recovery Plus sent me a letter saying my appeal had been rejected and I have to pay £160 by 13th June.
    After a distressing phone call with DRP, they told me an email from POPLA had been sent to me in April and my right to second appeal has now gone (I have never seen this email), so I asked them to email this to me. The letter they forwarded only says date letter was created, shows no evidence of date sent or my email. In fact the man I spoke to at DRP seemed unsire of the reason for the rejection, first he said it was non payment (I have a bank statement as proof), then that i didnt show ticket in car (signs say you do not have to and also machines don't work!), and finally that my car reg was incorrect (is one letter enough for a ticket? why then did they take my money and have I not had a ticket elsewhere before?)

Please cam someone advise, I have my evidence, and I will try to get to citizens advice. Who do I contact? I don't know who owns the land, am I at risk of court action?

I am very anxious as feel they are morally corrupt and that I did follow instructions and they took my money.
    Many thanks
Page 1
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 7th Jun 17, 12:56 PM
    • 2,496 Posts
    • 3,740 Thanks
    fisherjim
    • 7th Jun 17, 12:56 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 12:56 PM
    Stop panicking and read the newbies thread you have done nothing wrong you should not call debt collectors they are liars, they know nothing about the charge except that they have bunged a further £60 on top to scam more money out of you.

Debt Recovery Plus are powerless nasty Muppets ignore them.
    Citizens Advice are useless in these cases there is far more useful information here.

When you have read the newbies thread come back for more clarification, I suppose you outed the driver in your ill informed appeal which would be a shame.

But at the end of the day only a judge if it came to that could force you to pay these muppets.

Though if this is railway property it is not relevant land anyway, and UKPC who are low life scammers, cannot progress this anyway if the land is subject to bye-laws.
    To quote the words of the great Count Arthur Strong "You Couldn't make it up"
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 7th Jun 17, 12:57 PM
    • 14,979 Posts
    • 23,530 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 7th Jun 17, 12:57 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 12:57 PM
    After a distressing phone call with DRP,
    Once again we get confirmation that our advice never to phone a debt collector (or parking company) is absolutely correct.

Please cam someone advise, I have my evidence, and I will try to get to citizens advice. Who do I contact? I don't know who owns the land, am I at risk of court action?
    Forum advice in regard to the CAB is not far adrift of our advice in regard to debt collectors. CAB are woefully out of touch with private parking issues and seem, at times, to just make it up as they go along. Almost always, if appeal routes are closed to you (which they appear to be), they will advise you to pay.

If debt collectors are involved the appeal option to POPLA has disappeared (although you could get back to UKPC and demand they offer you ADR - via POPLA - which should be available to you by law, do a Google search). So you then ignore debt collectors (see NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #4) who are powerless.

Beyond this (if you can't get a cancellation by the landowner - you can go to Land Registry, to determine who the landowner is, for £3-£4), it's a case of ignore anything short of a Letter Before Claim (from UKPC or their Solicitors - SCS) or real court papers.

If it went to court, this can be defended with some work by you and some forum advice - but you're some way off this (if it happens at all).
    Last edited by Umkomaas; 07-06-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 7th Jun 17, 1:19 PM
    • 6,169 Posts
    • 7,891 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 7th Jun 17, 1:19 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 1:19 PM
    You said

"UK parking controls Ltd"

do you mean

"UK parking control Ltd"

without the "s"
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 7th Jun 17, 1:23 PM
    • 6,169 Posts
    • 7,891 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 7th Jun 17, 1:23 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 1:23 PM
    "After a distressing phone call with DRP"

DRP are simply animals and EVERYBODY must IGNORE them

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Hattie13
    • By Hattie13 7th Jun 17, 1:26 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Hattie13
    • 7th Jun 17, 1:26 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 1:26 PM
    You said

"UK parking controls Ltd"

do you mean

"UK parking control Ltd"

without the "s"
    Originally posted by beamerguy
    Yes I meant UK Parking Control Limited.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 7th Jun 17, 1:31 PM
    • 7,659 Posts
    • 7,745 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 7th Jun 17, 1:31 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 1:31 PM
    If you are at the DRP stage, there isn't much more you can do except stop contacting them or DRP and sit it out to see if you get an LBCC/MCOL from UKPC.

Post Four of the Newbies Sticky and the NO MORE DRP THREADS thread covers that shower in their entirety.

So prepare yourself by reading-up on the LBCC thread here and be ready to submit a strong rebuttal and if needed, prepare a court defence but TBH, a lot will never get that far.

Citizens Advice have longsince proved themselves incompetent when dealing with private parking matters, so don't take anything there!
    Last edited by pogofish; 07-06-2017 at 1:35 PM.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 7th Jun 17, 7:51 PM
    • 50,736 Posts
    • 64,136 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 7th Jun 17, 7:51 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 7:51 PM
    Don't ring DRPlus again.

Don't bother with the CAB.

and finally that my car reg was incorrect - is one letter enough for a ticket?
    From ex-clamper scum, it's normal. But this isn't a fine. Come back if they try a small claim and we'll help you win it (almost certainly... and no risk of paying huge sums).

DO NOT contact DR Plus again. STOP.

I assume by now you've Googled the matter a bit better and learnt about the tedious letters...yawn..''Zenith''...yawn...this laughable letter chain has been done to death on forums for ten years.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Hattie13
    • By Hattie13 8th Jun 17, 3:56 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Hattie13
    • 8th Jun 17, 3:56 PM
    First draft letter to POPLA - feedback appreciated
    • 8th Jun 17, 3:56 PM
    First draft letter I will email this week. Any feedback appreciated.Thanks.

Dear Sir or Madam,

Ticket number:
    Vehicle registration number:
    Reason for issue: Parking tariff not paid. Parked without payment of parking tariff.

I was issued with a parking ticket on 14/3/17 but I believe it was unlawfully issued. Following my online appeal via ukpcappeals.co.uk, I received no correspondence from Popla until I received a letter from DRP and immediately rang this company to query why I had not been informed of my appeal rejection sooner. They forwarded your letter to me via email which apparently you sent to me in April, but I never received.

I will not be paying the demand for payment for the following reasons:

• The alleged contravention did not occur
    Quite simply, the parking attendant got it wrong and the vehicle was not parked inappropriately at the time the ticket was issued. This is due to the fact that I rang Ringo as instructed by signage, and paid the correct fee which was taken from my account. Please see attached evidence: bank statement as proof of payment, text confirmation of payment, signage in car park which states no ticket is required to be displayed, as proof of my claim. I am currently requesting evidence of Landowner Authority for this car park.

• No Evidence provided
    I have only received a window PCN notification I have not received an NTK and I would also request a copy of your written agreement that gives your firm lawful authority to enter into a contract with the driver to seek recovery of this charge.

• The charge is disproportionate and not a genuine pre-estimate of loss
    The amount charged is not based upon any genuine pre-estimate of loss to the company or the landowner. In my case, the £160.00 charge being asked for far exceeds the cost to the landowner of £6.65. I therefore feel the amount you have asked for is excessive.

Yours faithfully,
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 9th Jun 17, 6:48 PM
    • 50,736 Posts
    • 64,136 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Nononono, that is the terrible one from the MSE article, includes rubbish about 'not a genuine pre-estimate of loss', an argument which died a death in 2015 (keep up, MSE) and it admits who was driving! Eeek! Awful. Why are you replying?
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• Hattie13
    • By Hattie13 10th Jun 17, 8:24 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Hattie13
    Well I won't send it then!
    I'm currently waiting to hear who landowner is.
    In the meantime I'll try not to panic and just not do anything except read more of the forums?! Deadline for payment of £160 is this Tuesday. I'm ignoring the DR now.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 10th Jun 17, 8:51 PM
    • 2,063 Posts
    • 2,475 Thanks
    waamo
    Don't even think about paying these scum. Do some research as to who the landowner is and see if they will cancel it.
    This space for hire.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 10th Jun 17, 9:01 PM
    • 14,979 Posts
    • 23,530 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Deadline for payment of £160 is this Tuesday.
    And why do you think they put extremely short deadlines on this stuff with increasing 'amounts owing'?
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th Jun 17, 10:48 PM
    • 50,736 Posts
    • 64,136 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Well I won't send it then!
    I'm currently waiting to hear who landowner is.
    In the meantime I'll try not to panic and just not do anything except read more of the forums?!

Deadline for payment of £160 is this Tuesday. I'm ignoring the DR now.
    Originally posted by Hattie13
    And...if you were the 1% here who actually lost at a small claim (think 'Judge Rinder') hearing in the end, how much do you think you would be likely to be told to pay, by a Judge?

About £150! £100 PCN plus £50 court fees. No CCJ, no effect on credit rating. And we win 99 - 100% of the time!

Just collect the threatograms like we have done for a decade. Come back if you need a small claim defence, almost certain to kill it in the end (and no huge risk even if lost, so what?). This stage is not a time to respond.

• lyndypl
    • By lyndypl 13th Jun 17, 8:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lyndypl
    Same issue
    Hi Hattie13

I have exactly the same issue as you going on at the moment - same car park in Didcot, roughly same period of time, same error on typing in and same response from UKPC appeals and POPLA appeals. Did you find out who the landowner is as I'm also going to contact them?

Thanks
    Lynda
    • Hattie13
    • By Hattie13 19th Jun 17, 10:02 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Hattie13
    Hi Lynda, I've been away all week so going to look into the landowners this week.
    I can to a letter from DRPltd titled 'letter before referral for legal action '.
    I am just holding on to all the letters and do8ng nothing as advised.
    Keep me posted.
    • Hattie13
    • By Hattie13 11th Sep 17, 10:21 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Hattie13
    Update on parking charge from 14/3/17
    Having ignored all the DRP letters, I have now received a 'Notice of debt recovery assignment' from Zenith Collections with a reduced amount of £80 (which I will not be paying).

I am ignoring this letter, unless anyone wants to advise otherwise, on the grounds that it is not a letter directly POPLA/ UK Parking Control ltd.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 11th Sep 17, 10:30 AM
    • 14,979 Posts
    • 23,530 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Just read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post # 4 to tell you exactly what you need to do with a Zenith (aka DRP) letter. You need to know, not guess (even though you've guessed correctly - but for the wrong reason). The more you're ahead of this game, and ready for anything else thrown at you, the better you will deal with it.

• beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 11th Sep 17, 10:36 AM
    • 6,169 Posts
    • 7,891 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Having ignored all the DRP letters, I have now received a 'Notice of debt recovery assignment' from Zenith Collections with a reduced amount of £80 (which I will not be paying).

I am ignoring this letter, unless anyone wants to advise otherwise, on the grounds that it is not a letter directly POPLA/ UK Parking Control ltd.
    Originally posted by Hattie13
    DRP FAILED in their attempt to extort money from you.
    Passed to Zenith who are blessed with the same stupidity
    as DRP ....... IGNORE IGNORE

If UKPC want to take it further they will make contact then
    you return here.

'Notice of debt recovery assignment'

.... this really means

"Notice of a new scammer"

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,401Posts Today

6,892Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin