Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • noelrobx
    • By noelrobx 7th Jun 17, 12:26 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    noelrobx
    Non-condensing boiler fitted 6 years after law change
    • 7th Jun 17, 12:26 PM
    Non-condensing boiler fitted 6 years after law change 7th Jun 17 at 12:26 PM
    A new regulation came into force on 1 April 2005 saying that only A or B rated gas boilers could be fitted (i.e. condensing boilers). The company I used fitted a D rated boiler (non-condensing) in Oct 2011 but wrote on the paperwork that it was A rated. So, for over 5 years we have been paying way over the odds in gas bills with a boiler that should not have been fitted (unless there were special circumstances) and they lied on the paperwork. No exemption certificate was issued that I know of. What can I do?
Page 1
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 7th Jun 17, 1:36 PM
    • 2,581 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 7th Jun 17, 1:36 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 1:36 PM
    Did you get a gas safe certificate confirming the installation complied with building regs?
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 7th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 7th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    There were exemptions to have a non condensing boiler fitted but I remember it was difficult to meet the criteria and I think the assessment was done by the local authority, not 100% on that though. I don't ever remember exemption certificate but again I may be wrong.

What paperwork have they lied on?

The average energy saving on a a rated to a d rated is only £35-£140 per year depending on the property so I wouldn't worry about paying way over the odds.

I'm sure someone can tell you what you can do but my guess would be not a lot.
    • MX5huggy
    • By MX5huggy 7th Jun 17, 6:44 PM
    • 4,049 Posts
    • 2,643 Thanks
    MX5huggy
    • 7th Jun 17, 6:44 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 6:44 PM
    What exact make and model of boiler was fitted? What does your invoice show was fitted.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 9th Jun 17, 10:55 PM
    • 18,204 Posts
    • 41,639 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:55 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:55 PM
    I had a non-condensing boiler fitted in 2007, there was no inspection by the local authority or anyone else, IIRC it just stated on the paperwork that it was exempt. Our was fitted because there was no suitable location that would allow for the condensate to drain.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 10th Jun 17, 9:22 AM
    • 4,821 Posts
    • 9,533 Thanks
    I have spoken
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:22 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:22 AM
    The supposed benefits of a condensing boiler are, like advertised car mpg figures, never achieved in normal use.
    • burnsguitarman
    • By burnsguitarman 10th Jun 17, 9:30 AM
    • 710 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    burnsguitarman
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:30 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:30 AM
    The supposed benefits of a condensing boiler are, like advertised car mpg figures, never achieved in normal use.
    Originally posted by I have spoken
    I totally agree, the "savings" quoted, are almost fictitious! Don't worry about it. You probably didn't pay as much for your boiler as you would have done for a condenser model, (and you wouldn't have suffered from freezing condensate pipes,during the really cold winters)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

234Posts Today

3,457Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin