Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GT60
    • By GT60 7th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    • 1,835Posts
    • 953Thanks
    GT60
    windows embolom and starting windows
    • 7th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    windows embolom and starting windows 7th Jun 17 at 11:05 AM
    A bit of a long one sorry.
    I used the Hard drive out of an old XP desktop in a CCTV system
    I used it for a bit and then delted the recording and now decided to put it back in the PC and load windows 7 or XP on the pc with this Hard drive.
    every time i have tried to get the pc to started it says something about the bois not being installed and sometimes i get something about "arry"
    i have managed to change the boot order to the DVD and it then restarted on its own, a message that has kept popping up is ......... no bios installed
    It eventualy loaded the windows files (black screen and white line at the bottom) but them the pc stickes on the windows emblem and starting windows
    what am i doing wrong?
    Thanks
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
Page 8
    • were
    • By were 3rd Jul 17, 10:43 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    were
    there is no official win 10 x32 for PCs, but there are for tablets.

x64 should run faster, but needs more memory. x32 is more economical on memory but runs slower. Explanation: if you have a big pie at a buffet, Joe can get to the pie take a serving and finish the pie in one go, his plate has also got to be bigger than Janes. Jane has a plate half of Joe's, even if she eats at the same rate as Joe, she has to go backward and forward twice to fill her plate.

GT60, looks like you have come to the end of the road with this windows 7 PC.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 4th Jul 17, 12:45 PM
    • 7,087 Posts
    • 2,847 Thanks
    almillar
    I'm confused. I've got (or at least had) a USB drive with an install for Win 10 that has x86 and x64 on it - it's just over 8GB. Am I remembering wrong and thinking of Windows 8?

Stick to Windows 7 then like me - my CPU is also incompatible, and ancient!
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 4th Jul 17, 4:02 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    emptybox

x64 should run faster, but needs more memory. x32 is more economical on memory but runs slower. Explanation: if you have a big pie at a buffet, Joe can get to the pie take a serving and finish the pie in one go, his plate has also got to be bigger than Janes. Jane has a plate half of Joe's, even if she eats at the same rate as Joe, she has to go backward and forward twice to fill her plate.

GT60, looks like you have come to the end of the road with this windows 7 PC.
    Originally posted by were
    Yes there is.
    I've got Windows 10 32bit running on my old 2005 Shuttle PC.
    The CPU (Pentium 4 650) wouldn't support the 64bit version of Windows 10, but the 32bit version runs fine. It does have 2 GB RAM though.

The OP should probably have installed Win 7 32bit, then they might be able to upgrade to Win 10 32bit.

But for a PC with only 1 GB of RAM, I would agree, a lightweight Linux would be more suitable and run smoother.
    Last edited by emptybox; 04-07-2017 at 4:07 PM.
    • were
    • By were 4th Jul 17, 9:49 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    were
    thank you almillar and emptybox for correcting me and keeping me honest regarding the win10 x32. Never seen the x32 version except for a tablet.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 10th Jul 17, 4:42 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    GT60
    I decided to reinstall the windows 7 OS on the PC and for some reason it did half of the install then rebooted and repeated the install so I took the cd out and put a different 7 OS cd in the PC that I know works and rebooted the pc and now it either sticks on this screen

[/IMG]

If I get to try and enter the boot screen it sticks on this

[/IMG]
    What have I done wrong this time?
    Thanks
    Last edited by GT60; 10-07-2017 at 4:56 PM.
    • were
    • By were 10th Jul 17, 9:52 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    were
    Hi,

Weird, the hardware looks to be there. If the boot loader of the drive has been corrupted it should show something else, or it could be bios since it hangs there? I would look at DavidP24 post #47 and download Hiren CD and boot off it. So memory test, disk test... not sure what else is on it, but it any more. but was a great cd

Also in that mboard manual, you board has diagnostics as per pg59 section 3-3, 4-29
    • GT60
    • By GT60 11th Jul 17, 10:25 AM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    GT60
    I forgot to mention
    I unplugged the power lead for the HD and tried to boot the PC and everything worked fine like that, but with the HD plugged in the PC freezes

Hope this makes sense
    Last edited by GT60; 11-07-2017 at 3:53 PM.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 11th Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    GT60
    Update
    I HAVE FIXED IT
    what I did was unplug the HD power feed then started up the pc and when I got the press F1 to resume and boot from CD I connected the power feed and pressed F1
    and after two attempts to reinstall the OS it worked
    the first time it said the hd wasn't working so I went in to the fix PC option and let it run it course or something like that.
    Thanks again for your help
    • were
    • By were 11th Jul 17, 5:22 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    were
    Sounds like the boot sector. A full wipe of the disk should have fixed it too.

Make sure before you unplug anything, you disconnect the power lead, then turn your pc on which should discharge the components quicker. This should hinder spikes killing the electronics.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,667Users online

Martin's Twitter