Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GT60
    • By GT60 7th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    • 1,817Posts
    • 950Thanks
    GT60
    windows embolom and starting windows
    • 7th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    windows embolom and starting windows 7th Jun 17 at 11:05 AM
    A bit of a long one sorry.
    I used the Hard drive out of an old XP desktop in a CCTV system
    I used it for a bit and then delted the recording and now decided to put it back in the PC and load windows 7 or XP on the pc with this Hard drive.
    every time i have tried to get the pc to started it says something about the bois not being installed and sometimes i get something about "arry"
    i have managed to change the boot order to the DVD and it then restarted on its own, a message that has kept popping up is ......... no bios installed
    It eventualy loaded the windows files (black screen and white line at the bottom) but them the pc stickes on the windows emblem and starting windows
    what am i doing wrong?
    Thanks
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
Page 7
    • were
    • By were 21st Jun 17, 1:51 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    were
    Hi GT60, cant pm you from where i am. I have put it in 2nd class post a few mins ago.

If you can, and insist on paying postage, next time you are in hospital just put £3.00 in a medical charity box there.

The box icludes drive, ide cable, mounting rails and screws, plus a suprize (o, not Kinder)

Hope you get pain free and mobile.
    • were
    • By were 21st Jun 17, 1:59 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    were
    One important thing.

If the thread on the mounting screws is too long, there is a danger of the screws protruding through the metalwork into the board electronic of the drive, or physically damaging the tracks of that multilayered board
    • were
    • By were 21st Jun 17, 2:02 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    were
    Cant edit either. (not mobile friendly?)

So check before screwing
    • GT60
    • By GT60 21st Jun 17, 2:55 PM
    • 1,817 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    GT60
    Thank you so Much WERE
    I have an Hospital appointment at Salford next month so will do that.
    Thanks again
    • GT60
    • By GT60 23rd Jun 17, 9:43 AM
    • 1,817 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    GT60
    HI WERE
    I have now recieved you very kind items
    thank you so much
    I have PMed
    • GT60
    • By GT60 29th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    • 1,817 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    GT60
    [/IMG]A very big thank you to WERE and David for all your help I now have the PC running on windows 7.
    I have found the BOIS and downloaded it to the PC and when I was asked what programme to open it I clicked media player by mistake
    How I do change it and what to for opening and running the Bois update that I have downloaded ?
    I can unzip it but that's all.

here is the pc up and running from before I put it all back together
    • were
    • By were 30th Jun 17, 10:33 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    were
    Hi, Hope you put on windows x64, as x64 is often upgradable to 10, x32 is not.

Think it was a 40GB drive, not an 80GB? I personally would put a win 10 cd in and see of it upgrades. If it did not upgrade and moaned about space, I'd compress the disk and then give it another go. If 7 upgrades, would remove the remnants of 7, then uncompress to gain speed.

I have found the BOIS and downloaded it to the PC and when I was asked what programme to open it I clicked media player by mistake
    You clicked on the zip file and that ended up as trying to open in media player?

The magic words for google are "file associations window 7" This looks like the easy way to deal with it. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/file-association-fixer-2-windows-10-8-7

the non cheaters way to fix associations http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-file-associations-windows.
    Last edited by were; 01-07-2017 at 9:06 AM.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 1st Jul 17, 12:17 PM
    • 1,817 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    GT60
    Hi Were yes its 64 bit and i will try 10 as a clean install using my win 10 ISO disc that i made when my other pc upgraded to 10, but i want to install the Bios first
    The hd you very kindly sent me is 80 GB one
    I will keep you updated on how i am getting on
    Thanks again

You clicked on the zip file and that ended up as trying to open in media player? Yes
    Last edited by GT60; 01-07-2017 at 2:06 PM.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 2nd Jul 17, 2:36 PM
    • 1,817 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    GT60
    Hi when doing this ASUS EZ Flash to update the BIOS https://www.manualslib.com/manual/409763/Asus-A8v-Deluxe.html?page=70#manual am I supposed to burn the file to the cd or just copy it? as I am getting CD rom not found
    I do have a floppy drive but not floppy disc's
    this is the file I am trying to install https://www.asus.com/support/Download/1/21/1/1/25/ Beta Version 1018.002
    thanks
    • GT60
    • By GT60 2nd Jul 17, 5:13 PM
    • 1,817 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    GT60
    Tried to burn to a disc but imgburn doesn't find the down load that I have un zipped
    If I try to open the download it comes up currupt
    I have renamed the unzipped file A8V.ROM. as told to in the manual instructions
    What am I wrong?
    Thanks
    • were
    • By were 2nd Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    were
    Hi when doing this ASUS EZ Flash to update the BIOS https://www.manualslib.com/manual/409763/Asus-A8v-Deluxe.html?page=70#manual am I supposed to burn the file to the cd or just copy it? as I am getting CD rom not found
    I do have a floppy drive but not floppy disc's
    this is the file I am trying to install https://www.asus.com/support/Download/1/21/1/1/25/ Beta Version 1018.002
    thanks
    Originally posted by GT60
    This link require you to copy the bios to a FLOPPY DISK, not CD or usb, or c:\ drive
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/409763/Asus-A8v-Deluxe.html?page=70#manual
    "1. Visit the ASUS website (www.asus.com) to download the latest BIOS file for your motherboard and rename the downloaded file as
    A8V.ROM. Save the BIOS file to a floppy disk."

You have already made the recovery boot floppy as suggested in the manual?

The only C that will officially work is the ASUS CD.

Start on this page and continue to read, after flashing the bios menu could be even more different than the manual https://www.manualslib.com/manual/409763/Asus-A8v-Deluxe.html?page=66#manual
    Last edited by were; 02-07-2017 at 8:51 PM.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 2nd Jul 17, 9:16 PM
    • 1,817 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    GT60
    Where will I get a floppy disc from?
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 2nd Jul 17, 9:26 PM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 1,351 Thanks
    RumRat
    Here you go.....They have USB readers as well.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Electronics-Photo/Imation-3-5-DS-HD-IBM-Formatted-Black-Pack/B00004YKNF/ref=pd_bxgy_147_img_2/261-0648153-5250004?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QAJ5MGBWP9F0FA SP5Z7Z
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • were
    • By were 2nd Jul 17, 9:39 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    were
    Ha, non with the motherboard or graphics card, no secret stash of floppies? Some shops do still sell them

Think have a few somewhere, but if they are working is another issue.

Besides recognising more drives, a new bios would also check/recognise the over current of usb ports, plus a few other bits, there are notes somewhere on the asus page that tells you what each revision does.

There is a possibility of using a DOS boot cd and adding the bios and the AFUDOD utility to the CD too, but if the utility directly is programmed to point to a: then you are still not in a good place.

OK, forget the bios for the current time and just put on 10.

However you could be daring and try this, but you will probably be on your own, as it is so hit and miss https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20070215223109668&board_id=1&model=P5 B+Deluxe%2fWiFi-AP&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
    • were
    • By were 2nd Jul 17, 9:41 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    were
    I would not buy RumRats suggestion, as for £20 you could probably get a better second hand mboard of ebay

:checked:
    you cant even by a working second hand motherboard for £20, but you can possibly buy a whole tower, as there are a few of these going for a starting bid at £20
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkcentre-Edge-71-Tower-PC-Intel-Pentium-G630-2-7GHz-2-0GB-DDR3-DVI-/401354821199?hash=item5d729c8e4f:g:mCAAAOSwMvtZUgy s
    Last edited by were; 02-07-2017 at 10:03 PM. Reason: :checked:
    • GT60
    • By GT60 2nd Jul 17, 10:00 PM
    • 1,817 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    GT60
    Windows 10 wont run
    Not enough ram need 2 gb and I only have one
    There is some thing else but forgot what it was.
    I tried Windows auto upgrade this afternoon.
    I will read the Asus forum post tomorrow or tuesday and report back after a play, slowly starting to understand things now
    Thanks
    • were
    • By were 2nd Jul 17, 10:06 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    were
    memory 2 x 512? What type of AMD cpu is in there?
    • were
    • By were 2nd Jul 17, 10:29 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    were
    Had a quick check, no memory here for u - unless some is hidden away with floppies that I may have kept somewhere?

Think either windows 7, or mint xfce are your best bets. The new mint is supported to 2021.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 3rd Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    • 7,019 Posts
    • 2,801 Thanks
    almillar
    Reviving an old clunker here myself - has 0.5GB RAM. I installed Windows 7 32bit on it successfully. Win 10 32bit only needs 1GB of RAM, whereas 64bit needs 2gb.
    Check with the experts here, but Win 10 32bit might be a possibility? Why isn't it an upgrade option?
    • GT60
    • By GT60 3rd Jul 17, 5:16 PM
    • 1,817 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    GT60
    This is the message I get
    "Windows 10 will not run on this PC"
    CPU " CPU isn't supported ( CMPXCHG16b) ""
    Memory " PC doesn't have enough Ram 2GB required

It seems fine on windows 7 64bit
    AMD Athlon (tm) 64 processor 3200+ 2.00GHz
    Ram 1 GB
    My son is going to try coding on it as he wants to learn how to do it and has some books out of the library
    Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,078Posts Today

6,972Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• Follow Martin