Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GT60
    • By GT60 7th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    • 1,835Posts
    • 953Thanks
    GT60
    windows embolom and starting windows
    • 7th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    windows embolom and starting windows 7th Jun 17 at 11:05 AM
    A bit of a long one sorry.
    I used the Hard drive out of an old XP desktop in a CCTV system
    I used it for a bit and then delted the recording and now decided to put it back in the PC and load windows 7 or XP on the pc with this Hard drive.
    every time i have tried to get the pc to started it says something about the bois not being installed and sometimes i get something about "arry"
    i have managed to change the boot order to the DVD and it then restarted on its own, a message that has kept popping up is ......... no bios installed
    It eventualy loaded the windows files (black screen and white line at the bottom) but them the pc stickes on the windows emblem and starting windows
    what am i doing wrong?
    Thanks
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
Page 6
    • GT60
    • By GT60 18th Jun 17, 3:02 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    GT60
    [/IMG]
    • were
    • By were 18th Jun 17, 3:09 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    were
    No problem. We offered out time freely. I have not finished with you yet. Off to lunch in a mo. Tip for the future: use Imgur.com - the photos are clear

firstly plug that cable into the second red raid-sata port, and boot - you know what to look for.

cant read the drive details. Then that small white jumper (10 to 1 it will fall on the floor, so put a plug in the sink and do it over that ), pull it out and move it one position left of the photo, and boot it up again.

Not the last step. This is something completely different: plug it back into the SATA1 connector, configure it as raid and test it out - loads of bios stuff.

Linux PC, usually a PC running Linux Mint instead of windows, often faster than windows, supports older hardware and free.

Change the bios back to Onboard IDE. Download a Mint iso and boot the CD via your pc. Dont install it, a live version does run in memory. Can you see the content of the disk?

https://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/view/2536
    https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php many people choose cinnamon. I have it on a usb stick I carry around with me too

Flashing the bios to the latest beta may also help drive detection, if that drive is working.
    Last edited by were; 18-06-2017 at 3:31 PM.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 18th Jun 17, 4:25 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    GT60
    Ok tried moving the white thing across one and did different options but no joy.
    sometimes in the boot sequence to check if the HD showed up it was there and others it wasn't and the final straw was when I checked the boot sequence and the dvd was there along with the floppy (which I had disabled) but no HD.
    Now the HD is broken as I lost my temper with it
    SORRY
    why cant it be like a car or mountain bike Grrrrrr
    so annoyed
    time to relax and let my body rest ( damaged spinal cord)
    Thank you for all your help
    If you think the HD you have will help me learn I would love it please.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 18th Jun 17, 4:35 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    GT60
    Were you mentioned that you think I live close by.
    where about are you? I am in Manchester (Bury)
    I don't drive any more due to my injury but do have a bus pass
    • were
    • By were 18th Jun 17, 6:10 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    were
    Were you mentioned that you think I live close by.
    where about are you? I am in Manchester (Bury)
    I don't drive any more due to my injury but do have a bus pass
    Originally posted by GT60
    I live in london , been off work ill for months, currently convalescing from a spinal op. , but will be back to work in a month or two's time.

I can pop an Ide in the post, it may get to you in working order - luck of the draw. There is are 15G, 20G, and an 80G, (I have a few 15G ones). Unsure what works, but I will give you the largest - 80G after testing, if it works.

If 80G does not work, using mint linux the other two are more than adequate for web browsing, writing documents, music, film, etc. You can even put defunct xp 20G - just. Obviously windows software does not work on linux, and for some bits of software there is no replacement. Would you be interested in the smaller ones if the 80G is duff?

Realistically at a push, the earliest posting date is around Thursday, as I have to resurrect my old PC, hospital appointments, and do some testing, so you could possibly expect delivery in two thursdays time?
    Last edited by were; 18-06-2017 at 7:26 PM.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 18th Jun 17, 8:20 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    GT60
    We're that would be great thanks
    No rush get your self better
    It is just a project for me to prove to my self I can do it.
    I have my main pc.
    Thank you very much for all your help and kind offer.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 18th Jun 17, 9:13 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    GT60
    I don't have any other grey cables, but getting an HD of freecycle or the freebie pages on Facebook isn't a bad idea
    I though Linux was the OS?
    surely if I am putting Linux on and then an OS it will need tons of space
    so begs the question whats the point of Linux?
    thanks again
    • GT60
    • By GT60 18th Jun 17, 9:30 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    GT60
    Jusat for fun well sort of
    if I where to play at upgrading and say got this http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/components-and-upgrades/processors/asus-maximus-ix-hero-motherboard-10158093-pdt.html
    would I then need http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/components-and-upgrades/graphics-cards/asus-dual-geforce-gtx-1060-graphics-card-10155503-pdt.html and the rest of the list that PC world have?
    • were
    • By were 18th Jun 17, 9:53 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    were
    Win7 is probably best bet.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    Eeeeek !, Should work on pata, but on sata its the Promise, raid using XP? x64 bit Promise drivers. A quick google say the sound drivers dont work on 7, and there is another weird way to install them. I'd do windows 10 and hope it works.

OK, 80GB works fine at the mo, providing it does not overheat and die. It is currently erasing under Linux . Comes with ide cable. Don't screw the drive in, make sure it all works before assembly and that drive has one 3 modes to be configured via jumpers

Less chance of getting a virus with Linux. Less chance the kids will break it It does have media players and video stuff 95% if the time can do what windows does, but when it comes to games it is another story. You could also put vitualbox on it and run possibly any version windows, and let virtual box deal with the inconsistencies?

Windows 10 with page file is near 20gig. By the time you add a few apps and browser and av, a large portion is gone.

Postage date is a possible Tuesday eve-ish, by the look of it - on the way to the Steak meal deal at Wetherspoons
    Last edited by were; 18-06-2017 at 10:05 PM.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 18th Jun 17, 9:54 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    GT60
    Sorry I meant would I need both and the rest of the list or would the mother board have all the bits on it?
    Just a thought
    • GT60
    • By GT60 18th Jun 17, 9:58 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    GT60
    Thank you.
    WERE
    • were
    • By were 18th Jun 17, 10:06 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    were
    Sorry I meant would I need both and the rest of the list or would the mother board have all the bits on it?
    Just a thought
    I do not understand you, sorry.

All you have to do is go to the bios as below and check that the Primary IDE says something other than "Not detected", Seagate, or ST???? will be fine.

You need to check the boot order, cd being first and the new disk second. After installation is complete, make the new disk first in the boot order.

Disable the onboard promise card, and leave the via alone disabled. Put the sata cables in a safe place with the molex to sata power converter cable before installing any o/s

Last edited by were; 18-06-2017 at 10:23 PM.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 19th Jun 17, 9:55 AM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    GT60
    I do not understand you, sorry.

All you have to do is go to the bios as below and check that the Primary IDE says something other than "Not detected", Seagate, or ST???? will be fine.

You need to check the boot order, cd being first and the new disk second. After installation is complete, make the new disk first in the boot order.

Disable the onboard promise card, and leave the via alone disabled. Put the sata cables in a safe place with the molex to sata power converter cable before installing any o/s

Originally posted by were
    I was taking about IF I bought a motherboard would I need a graphics card or does it come with one?
    This is just a hypothetical question and info for in the future if I ever decided to build a pc
    • GT60
    • By GT60 19th Jun 17, 10:04 AM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    GT60
    Sorry I don't understand this bit.

Thanks
    Niall
    • GT60
    • By GT60 19th Jun 17, 2:32 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    GT60
    David it will just be something to prove that I can get a PC working again and may one of my sons will use it for browsing etc. it is not going to be a main PC
    the mother board question is just to see how much all the parts would be to build an all sing all dancing pc from scratch sometime in the future when I have enough money saved up
    • were
    • By were 19th Jun 17, 3:00 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    were
    Sorry I don't understand this bit.
    Disable the onboard promise card, and leave the via alone disabled. Put the sata cables in a safe place with the molex to sata power converter cable before installing any o/sl
    disable in the bios Onboard Promise controller.

#the onChip SATA Bootrom should already be disabled.

While it is open, remove the sata drive, which you have already done, disconnect the thin sata cable.

While you are there you may as well salvage the molex (white power connector) to black sata power connector. Pull the white plastic of the plugs, not the wires. Just follow th saya power cable in the picture below to the white connector

To be honest after this episode, I am dissuaded from ever buying an Asus motherboard or amd chip, because even out old manky wintell Dells at work, which are probably older then this, still work on windows 7, and besides SCSI raid controllers I have not had to F6 or put any drivers on via usb in a over a decade
    • GT60
    • By GT60 19th Jun 17, 3:46 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    GT60
    I have binned the HD but went and got the molex out of the bin and promptly lost it whilst cutting the circuit board in halve to put molex in so I don't lose it
    Not having a good day today
    WERE your post's are displaying correctly half the post's are missing
    Last edited by GT60; 19-06-2017 at 4:12 PM.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 19th Jun 17, 5:15 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    GT60
    "" can also see some benefit it taking a club hammer to it.
    There is a tipping point where you just want to get shot of stuff ""

I agree it is just because I have time on my hands my home is decorated and all to how I want it thanks to friends and now I am looking for things to do within my mobility capabilities instead of zombing out watching TV
    I cant sit still for long with out my body seizing up and I get bored very easy hence playing with the pc but all your post's and WERE's post's scared me as I didn't understand them that well but thanks to yours and WERE's patience's I got through
    • GT60
    • By GT60 19th Jun 17, 7:00 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    GT60
    You can demystify this stuff by watching youtube videos

it is not rocket science, consider it a jigsaw
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    I was googling bits during this post and will continue to do so

Thanks for all your help once again
    • were
    • By were 19th Jun 17, 7:24 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    were
    For PC technicians there is a basic qualification called Comptia A+, and you can sit an exam if you wish. I have not done this course, as I started before PCs even existed, even before the ZX Spectrum

The problem with computers, it is often a sit in the chair all day hobby/job/career

This chap here has put his full videos on youtube too, and it is free.
    http://www.professormesser.com/free-a-plus-training/220-901/comptia-220-900-course/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

711Posts Today

6,613Users online

Martin's Twitter