Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GT60
    • By GT60 7th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    • 1,814Posts
    • 950Thanks
    GT60
    windows embolom and starting windows
    • 7th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    windows embolom and starting windows 7th Jun 17 at 11:05 AM
    A bit of a long one sorry.
    I used the Hard drive out of an old XP desktop in a CCTV system
    I used it for a bit and then delted the recording and now decided to put it back in the PC and load windows 7 or XP on the pc with this Hard drive.
    every time i have tried to get the pc to started it says something about the bois not being installed and sometimes i get something about "arry"
    i have managed to change the boot order to the DVD and it then restarted on its own, a message that has kept popping up is ......... no bios installed
    It eventualy loaded the windows files (black screen and white line at the bottom) but them the pc stickes on the windows emblem and starting windows
    what am i doing wrong?
    Thanks
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
Page 5
    • were
    • By were 17th Jun 17, 7:54 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    were
    somewhere in that bios do you have "Onboard IDE Operation Mode"?
    • GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 8:00 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    GT60
    Yes that's turned on
    • GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 8:04 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    GT60
    Please can we carry on tomorrow now?
    • were
    • By were 17th Jun 17, 8:06 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    were
    have a look on the main bios page again please, see if a drive shows?

control-f not working and no other options appear?
    • GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 9:15 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    GT60
    On the first page all it shows is the d d drive but on the boot page it shows the HD as the second boot option

Still Can't find.any ctlr f
    Sorry
    • were
    • By were 17th Jun 17, 9:53 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    were
    Since we have the promuse card working you should be able to disable the onboard sata boot rom.

Also by using photobucket, in the future if you ever need these pictures, you may have deleted them and this long post becomes useless.
    Last edited by were; 17-06-2017 at 10:03 PM. Reason: typos
    • were
    • By were 17th Jun 17, 10:41 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    were
    just try a windows 10 installation cd too.

Do you have a windows 7 x64 installation dvd?
    • GT60
    • By GT60 18th Jun 17, 10:03 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    GT60
    So convert back to Raid for the operating mode?
    Will try 10 again later.
    I have a 7 iso disc and the one that came with my Dell pc
    It is the 7 iso that I have been trying to load when I started this post
    Thanks
    I will report back in a few hours or less.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 18th Jun 17, 11:13 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    GT60
    [/IMG]Ok reverted back to Raid and here is my results

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Not sure how I got the ctrl f but it came after the first photo I remember that much

[/IMG]
    • were
    • By were 18th Jun 17, 12:36 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    were
    the reason I believe it came up is because you changed the bios from ide emulation to Raid.

In Raid mode win 7 is probably out of the windows. Even in ide mode win 7 x64 was to use older drivers (xp x64 or 2003 x64 - I cant remember which). Driver support for this board was only up to xp. VIA (sata1) controller is faster and more stable, but drivers are for xp. People seem to have more luck with the Promise card on win 7. Win 7 the first version of windows that supports drivers loading from usb when you install it, I believe.

What I want you to do is not the way to do it, even if below does even work. Intel is the favourite, and better supported.

Just press 2, and take a picture - I'm nosey.

Then press 1. Not exactly sure what it will ask, but you want raid 0 and with in raid 0 you want something like jbod, disk expansion, but second choice at a push is Performance mode. Mirror will be no good for you. Come back to me with a list of choices, but if it only Performance and Mirror, then choose Performance. Non of this may work though?

Ideally I want that disk to be recognised, and tested. On too many screens the drive has shown up as not found. Go to Seagate WD and download the DOS boot cd that checks the status/condition/surface of your SATA drive.

Remember the drive has to show up in Boot Menu section of the bios, no matter which option you choose

if it appears in the boot menu, try a windows 10 dvd too

If non of it works, go back to the bios and change it back from raid to "Onboard IDE Operation Mode" and run DOS boot cd that checks the status/condition/surface of your SATA drive. Reading around, you need the raid controller, as that is the only one supported in windows 7 x64, if you fiddle enough?

I also have a old IDE hard drive at home somewhere, will make your life immensely easier, you can have it if you want it? You could still have it, but I believe we are very close.

Big clear pics please
    Last edited by were; 18-06-2017 at 2:08 PM.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 18th Jun 17, 1:24 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    GT60
    pressing number 2 or 1 just reboots
    [/IMG]
    • GT60
    • By GT60 18th Jun 17, 1:40 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    GT60
    David the HD worked ok in the CCTV and content was deleted whilst in the CCtv and was then left lying around whilst I decorated and got the house nice so it could have been damaged.
    two years ago when I was given this PC as a project it would not start up and I had to use a Heren cd to get the photos etc off it
    When I was on the Array page last week I couldn't alter anything and pressing keys didn't do anything

Were whats an IDE HD compared to mine?
    is this the DOS file I need http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/by-topic/downloads/ sea tools then the DOS option?
    thanks everyone
    what do I do next please
    Last edited by GT60; 18-06-2017 at 1:44 PM.
    • were
    • By were 18th Jun 17, 1:44 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    were
    Davidp24, This drive except for the boot selection, enabling and mode, settings and config is mostly outside the PC bios. Think the VIA is too. It is a bit like the old SCSI cards where everything is done on the card bios.

Think that drive is borked too! Just twigged, kept thinking that the drive was Seagate. Google WD and see if the have a boot DOS Diagnostic iso, but you probably will have to pit it on the SATA channel and config the bios setting back to what they were.
    • were
    • By were 18th Jun 17, 1:52 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    were
    switch off and remove the sata cable and replace it with the other sata cable - just in case, and have another look

These two are ide, you have your cd drive already plugged into one. Mine are only about 40GB though.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 18th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    GT60
    still getting no disc is found with the other sata cable
    is this the dos I need? https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en#downloads
    thanks
    • were
    • By were 18th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    were
    the picture of your hard disk is no longer there. There is an issue with this age of mboard/controller and the speed of sata 3. you may have to downgrade the speed via jumper on the back of the drive to 1.5Gb

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=981

Looks like wd do not do dos tester, have another look. Some say it is on the Hiren CD? You cant use a windows one as windows is not loaded
    Last edited by were; 18-06-2017 at 2:23 PM.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 18th Jun 17, 2:09 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    GT60
    [/IMG]
    • GT60
    • By GT60 18th Jun 17, 2:15 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    GT60
    Is it time to bin this PC?
    • were
    • By were 18th Jun 17, 2:32 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    were
    you should have binned it 10 years ago.

Would probably make an excellent linux PC, still can send you the ide drive

On the forums, so many people have had trouble with sata with this board. No one updating the drivers did not help either - another IT cash cow - built in obsolescence.

Can you read the writing on that drive photo?
    Last edited by were; 18-06-2017 at 2:34 PM.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 18th Jun 17, 2:38 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    GT60
    Whats linux PC
    I am really Peved with this now and ready for throwing it thro the window
    I have wasted yours and Davids time for which I am really very sorry for.
    I will gladly have the HD but I don't have any money as I am on benefits
    Last edited by GT60; 18-06-2017 at 2:43 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,719Posts Today

6,798Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin