Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GT60
    • By GT60 7th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    • 1,788Posts
    • 947Thanks
    GT60
    windows embolom and starting windows
    • 7th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    windows embolom and starting windows 7th Jun 17 at 11:05 AM
    A bit of a long one sorry.
    I used the Hard drive out of an old XP desktop in a CCTV system
    I used it for a bit and then delted the recording and now decided to put it back in the PC and load windows 7 or XP on the pc with this Hard drive.
    every time i have tried to get the pc to started it says something about the bois not being installed and sometimes i get something about "arry"
    i have managed to change the boot order to the DVD and it then restarted on its own, a message that has kept popping up is ......... no bios installed
    It eventualy loaded the windows files (black screen and white line at the bottom) but them the pc stickes on the windows emblem and starting windows
    what am i doing wrong?
    Thanks
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
Page 4
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 17th Jun 17, 9:09 AM
    • 1,739 Posts
    • 1,056 Thanks
    DavidP24
    The model of the motherboard usually flashes by just as the BIOS is loading.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 17th Jun 17, 9:26 AM
    • 1,739 Posts
    • 1,056 Thanks
    DavidP24
    Have you managed to get into the SATA firmware yet?

Right now you know the IDE is OK but there is no point booting Hiren to test disk if the computer can't see the disk

We know your disk is SATA from previous pics so need to make sure it can be seen,

If the main BIOS can't see it and the SATA firmware can't see it (something you have not reported on since new SATA cable arrived) then you need to change SATA port it is plugged into.

For all we know there is an option on those other BIOS screens that is disabling the SATA, so we really need you to post all the bios screens as requested.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 9:52 AM
    • 1,788 Posts
    • 947 Thanks
    GT60
    Hi David
    I will be posting photos of all the options in the blue and grey screens in a short while
    They will be on by this afternoon .
    Hope this is the info you need
    Thanks
    • GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 11:24 AM
    • 1,788 Posts
    • 947 Thanks
    GT60

• GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 11:26 AM
    • 1,788 Posts
    • 947 Thanks
    GT60
    I hope these are ok and I have understood you correctly
    • GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 11:39 AM
    • 1,788 Posts
    • 947 Thanks
    GT60
    Is this the Motherboard info?

• were
    • By were 17th Jun 17, 11:41 AM
    • 417 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    were
    the easy one first take the 3rd boot device (floppy drive) out of the options, since non are installed

From below can you give us the screenshots of both Chipset, and Onboard Device Configuration

From below can we have screenshots of Boot Settings Configuration
    • GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 11:42 AM
    • 1,788 Posts
    • 947 Thanks
    GT60
    Have you managed to get into the SATA firmware yet?

Right now you know the IDE is OK but there is no point booting Hiren to test disk if the computer can't see the disk

We know your disk is SATA from previous pics so need to make sure it can be seen,

If the main BIOS can't see it and the SATA firmware can't see it (something you have not reported on since new SATA cable arrived) then you need to change SATA port it is plugged into.
    I used sata 1 as the sata 2 is faulty on the board

For all we know there is an option on those other BIOS screens that is disabling the SATA, so we really need you to post all the bios screens as requested.
    Originally posted by DavidP24

I am not fully understanding everything sorry
    • GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 12:07 PM
    • 1,788 Posts
    • 947 Thanks
    GT60

• GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 12:10 PM
    • 1,788 Posts
    • 947 Thanks
    GT60
    • were
    • By were 17th Jun 17, 12:18 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    were
    Originally posted by GT60
    And a SouthBridge screenshot
    • were
    • By were 17th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    were
    This one: That Promise controller is the secondary raid controller. Firstly I would look under Operating mode, and tell us what the choices are beside Raid.

Secondly I would disable (any other options beside Disable?) Onboard Promise Controller because nothing is plugged into it, it all goes through the VIA controller (black connectors). This hopefully will change the MAIN bios a bit?

• GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 12:33 PM
    • 1,788 Posts
    • 947 Thanks
    GT60
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 17th Jun 17, 12:34 PM
    • 1,739 Posts
    • 1,056 Thanks
    DavidP24
    OK lets take things slowly

Previously we saw it scanned the IDE controller first and found nothing, it then scanned the SATA controller, the SATA controller is made by Via

You can check what Via controller can see by pressing the Tab key when it shows this screen.

That will tell us if the controller can SEE the hard disk

then we have to look at the how the configuration is set,

We need to see ONBOARD DEVICES under the ADVANCED MENU to see if there is a setting like below where is has been disabled.

You previously posted what the SATA controller could see but those images seem to be on a platform that only displays them for a short time, which is why I use IMGUR

What we DO know from your latest post is that the Boot priority is

sm-asus drw 1814bl is your DVD Drive

That is OK as long as you remove any CD or DVD from DVD drive it should roll onto the first Hard disk on the Via Tech controller

that is IF you have a drive connected to the first port of the Via

Computers are stupid, if they are configured to boot from first port but the hard disk is on second port, they still go to first port even if it means they fail, they do not say "Hey there is no hard disk on first port but I saw one on port 2 would you like me to try that?"

So if you are able to try the following

boot PC,
    Make sure nothing in DVD drive
    press tab at display of Via Tech Bios
    Confirm it can see a drive and what port it is on (1 or 2)
    exit, continue or reboot
    Go into F2/Del BIOS
    Goto Boot Priority, make sure it matches where ever the SATA is connected 1 or 2)
    Goto to Advanced tab
    Goto Onboard Devices
    Look for ATA or SATA config options
    Make sure no SATA devices are disabled

Report back, with images if necessary

As I have been saying, the first thing you need to know is WHAT CAN THE COMPUTER SEE, then you configure it to boot to that,

That means checking what the Via Technologies SATA controller can see, what port it says it is on and THEN configuring the other settings to boot from where it says the disk is.

Great you got into the BIOS

OK so your IDE channel is working, it has just the DVD drive connected on the second master/

No sign of SATA there, press right arrow to get to the BOOT menu, see if it can see it in there.

Upload a photo of boot menu and advanced menu

If it does not show, reboot and see what sata firmware sees, you have to press tab when it comes up.

Before trying Hiren we need to see the capacity of disk in firmware.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    Last edited by DavidP24; 17-06-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 12:46 PM
    • 1,788 Posts
    • 947 Thanks
    GT60
    QUOTE=were;72711297]This one: That Promise controller is the secondary raid controller. Firstly I would look under Operating mode, and tell us what the choices are beside Raid.

Secondly I would disable (any other options beside Disable?) Onboard Promise Controller because nothing is plugged into it, it all goes through the VIA controller (black connectors). This hopefully will change the MAIN bios a bit?

[/QUOTE]

all I have altered is this, I hope I have done the right thing

• GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    • 1,788 Posts
    • 947 Thanks
    GT60
    qqqqqqqqqq[QUOTE=DavidP24;72711312]OK lets take things slowly

Previously we saw it scanned the IDE controller first and found nothing, it then scanned the SATA controller, the SATA controller is made by Via

You can check what Via controller can see by pressing the Tab key when it shows this screen.

That will tell us if the controller can SEE the hard disk

then we have to look at the how the configuration is set,

We need to see ONBOARD DEVICES under the ADVANCED MENU to see if there is a setting like below where is has been disabled.

sorry I don't understand on what to do or how to get to the details you want in the bios photos

• GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 1:17 PM
    • 1,788 Posts
    • 947 Thanks
    GT60

• were
    • By were 17th Jun 17, 1:19 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    were
    I would now check to see if an extra line has appeared in the main bios just under the other picture that is no longer there which lists the cd drive. The line may say something about ide or sata or raid? Sata first choice, ide second

To be honest, I would also put the win 10 dvd in and give it a go, do not expect it to install, but you should get to the F6 question, and should error out after that. If it does install would be very surprised if it boots.

Think you may have to undo the Promise bios setting So that David can try his stuff, as i have to go somewhere. Just follow DavidP24 instructions.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 1:26 PM
    • 1,788 Posts
    • 947 Thanks
    GT60
    Ok David
    I am very sorry but I don't understand everything now and have got worried and confused on what I need to do and what I have done

Please can we start again and do it in step by step instructions
    I know how to open the bios ( grey and blue writing ) screen
    Thanks
    Shall I undo the Promise bios setting that I have altered but cant remember to what?
    • were
    • By were 17th Jun 17, 3:19 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    were
    Mybad, too close a post, that previous screen showed it was the via bios, not the promise one, so keep promise disabled in the bios

Tried a windows 10 dvd yet? Possibly try an XP sp3 disk, but the driver may not be on it?

DavidP24 and I are more or less on the same page, but possibly different sides.

My strategy is to get the ssd booting using the VIA controller. If all attempts of this fails (and their could be many), then the Promise controller. If win 10 does not work straight out of the box, which I am fairly sure it wont, the plan (assuming you have the all software?) is to install xp.

With xp running, I believe you can run the setup on a windows 7 x64 and it will install (hopefully), and from here either upgrade again to 8.1 or 10

Would have preferred straight 10 put of the box.
    Last edited by were; 17-06-2017 at 3:54 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,177Posts Today

7,481Users online

Martin's Twitter