Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GT60
    • By GT60 7th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    • 1,807Posts
    • 949Thanks
    GT60
    windows embolom and starting windows
    • 7th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    windows embolom and starting windows 7th Jun 17 at 11:05 AM
    A bit of a long one sorry.
    I used the Hard drive out of an old XP desktop in a CCTV system
    I used it for a bit and then delted the recording and now decided to put it back in the PC and load windows 7 or XP on the pc with this Hard drive.
    every time i have tried to get the pc to started it says something about the bois not being installed and sometimes i get something about "arry"
    i have managed to change the boot order to the DVD and it then restarted on its own, a message that has kept popping up is ......... no bios installed
    It eventualy loaded the windows files (black screen and white line at the bottom) but them the pc stickes on the windows emblem and starting windows
    what am i doing wrong?
    Thanks
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
Page 4
    • GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 12:33 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    • GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 12:46 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    QUOTE=were;72711297]This one: That Promise controller is the secondary raid controller. Firstly I would look under Operating mode, and tell us what the choices are beside Raid.

Secondly I would disable (any other options beside Disable?) Onboard Promise Controller because nothing is plugged into it, it all goes through the VIA controller (black connectors). This hopefully will change the MAIN bios a bit?

[/QUOTE]

all I have altered is this, I hope I have done the right thing

• GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    qqqqqqqqqq[QUOTE=DavidP24;72711312]OK lets take things slowly

Previously we saw it scanned the IDE controller first and found nothing, it then scanned the SATA controller, the SATA controller is made by Via

You can check what Via controller can see by pressing the Tab key when it shows this screen.

That will tell us if the controller can SEE the hard disk

then we have to look at the how the configuration is set,

We need to see ONBOARD DEVICES under the ADVANCED MENU to see if there is a setting like below where is has been disabled.

sorry I don't understand on what to do or how to get to the details you want in the bios photos

• GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 1:17 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60

• were
    • By were 17th Jun 17, 1:19 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were
    I would now check to see if an extra line has appeared in the main bios just under the other picture that is no longer there which lists the cd drive. The line may say something about ide or sata or raid? Sata first choice, ide second

To be honest, I would also put the win 10 dvd in and give it a go, do not expect it to install, but you should get to the F6 question, and should error out after that. If it does install would be very surprised if it boots.

Think you may have to undo the Promise bios setting So that David can try his stuff, as i have to go somewhere. Just follow DavidP24 instructions.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 1:26 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    Ok David
    I am very sorry but I don't understand everything now and have got worried and confused on what I need to do and what I have done

Please can we start again and do it in step by step instructions
    I know how to open the bios ( grey and blue writing ) screen
    Thanks
    Shall I undo the Promise bios setting that I have altered but cant remember to what?
    • were
    • By were 17th Jun 17, 3:19 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were
    Mybad, too close a post, that previous screen showed it was the via bios, not the promise one, so keep promise disabled in the bios

Tried a windows 10 dvd yet? Possibly try an XP sp3 disk, but the driver may not be on it?

DavidP24 and I are more or less on the same page, but possibly different sides.

My strategy is to get the ssd booting using the VIA controller. If all attempts of this fails (and their could be many), then the Promise controller. If win 10 does not work straight out of the box, which I am fairly sure it wont, the plan (assuming you have the all software?) is to install xp.

With xp running, I believe you can run the setup on a windows 7 x64 and it will install (hopefully), and from here either upgrade again to 8.1 or 10

Would have preferred straight 10 put of the box.
    Last edited by were; 17-06-2017 at 3:54 PM.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 4:07 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    Up to now my windows 10 ISO is stuck on the windows logo and has been for about 40 + minutes and is still in the PC

The XP disc is unknown whats on it as i was given it a while back but it does contain XP OS as ithink i have used it in the past.

Thanks
    • were
    • By were 17th Jun 17, 5:04 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were
    How abut doing it the way I do not want to.

Switch off the PC.

Move the sata cable from Sata1 to raid-sata1 port

In bios enable promise controller and switch to IDE mode.

on boot there should be something on the screen that says Control-F to enter the Fastrack bios? if you look through he options, can you see the sata drive listed?
    Last edited by were; 17-06-2017 at 5:09 PM.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 5:17 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    Move the sata cable from Sata1 to raid-sata1 port
    Sorry I don't understand raid sata port

In bios enable promise controller and switch to IDE mode.
    How do i Switch to ide mode?
    Thanks
    • were
    • By were 17th Jun 17, 5:36 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were
    ide mode - Onboard IDE Operting mode

Disk should show up in control-f as the first drive? it it does try windows 10 again.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 6:00 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    I have now change the Onboard IDE Operting mode and enabled the promise controller again and rebooted
    but I cant see the ctrl f notice any where so I have repeatedly press the ctrl and f buttons from start up and haven't got anything
    I have had the No bios installed message
    I have now rebooted and left it to see if it does anything, at the minute I have the windows logo
    I haven't done this "Move the sata cable from Sata1 to raid-sata1 por"t yet as I don't know how
    Thanks
    • were
    • By were 17th Jun 17, 6:20 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were

From above: SATA boot Rom : enabled, Onboard Promise controller: enabled, Operating mode: Onboard IDE

I have now change the Onboard IDE Operting mode and enabled the promise controller again and rebooted
    but I cant see the ctrl f notice any where so I have repeatedly press the ctrl and f buttons from start up and haven't got anything
    Originally posted by GT60
    should be on the main boot page when you get the ami bios, perhaps you just want to keep pressing control-f a good few times aound there. If the windows logo show or the disk toots it is too late
    I have had the No bios installed message
    I have now rebooted and left it to see if it does anything, at the minute I have the windows logo
    Worrying, but need to know the exact wording
    I haven't done this "Move the sata cable from Sata1 to raid-sata1 por"t yet as I don't know how

[/QUOTE]
    • were
    • By were 17th Jun 17, 6:44 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were
    the situation is that the newer post claim that the via controller does not work on newer o/s above 7, which even that is hit and miss. However the via is faster, and more reliable because the promise uses the via as part of its data path (reportedly). My fear was that I get you working on xp, and then it wont upgrade, and we do not know the original location of the sata either.

From what I remember in the now deleted photos that both sata drive connectors were covered in crud, but there were no photos of the raid ones to check if one was clean and shiny.

Also to put on xp, you will need a floppy, or embed the drivers in a cd via nlite. The hope with a newer o/s was that it would recognise drivers if put on a usb instead?
    Last edited by were; 17-06-2017 at 6:53 PM.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 6:53 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    I have now found the raid Sata 1 and the logo loads and the green light flashes for a while then stops
    something it hasn't flashed before.
    anyway back to the ctrl f
    still cant find it and I have kept on pressing it from start up
    Here are some screen shot I manage to get
    the error one I got every so often so just rebooted

• GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    nice and clean
    • were
    • By were 17th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were
    look here https://www.manualslib.com/manual/409763/Asus-A8v-Deluxe.html?page=128#manual

On above page, i would choose 2 to view drive assignments, then choose 1 for autosetup, then 2 again
    • GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 7:02 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    shall I boot the pc with 10 in it and leave it to see what happens now?
    we still haven't resolved the issue of the HD reading full when it was wiped whilst still in the CCTV system or is this what we are trying to fix?

thanks and sorry for not understanding
    • GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 7:14 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    look here https://www.manualslib.com/manual/409763/Asus-A8v-Deluxe.html?page=128#manual

On above page, i would choose 2 to view drive assignments, then choose 1 for autosetup, then 2 again
    Originally posted by were

sorry I am not getting anything like them screens
    I have kept on rebooting and pressing different keys to see if that did anything but no joy

what is "this is the first time you boot the system with the new hard disks installed and connected to the ATAIDE connectors on the motherboard" ?
    thanks

• were
    • By were 17th Jun 17, 7:27 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were
    wow that is a new motherboard, you can do mine at home too if you wish

"this is the first time you boot the system with the new hard disks installed and connected to the ATAIDE connectors on the motherboard" Soon as you see this press control-F .... Be quick and keep tapping that F
    1. Boot the system.

If this is the first time you boot the system with the new hard disks
    installed and connected to the ATAIDE connectors on the
    motherboard, the MBFastTrak378™ BIOS displays the following:

MBFastTrak378 (tm) BIOS version 1.00
    (c) 2000-2005 Promise Technology, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

No Array defined. . .

Press <Ctrl-F> to enter FastBuild (tm) Utility
    Or press <ESC> key to continue booting.

2. Press <Ctrl+F> to display the FastBuild™ utility main menu.

FastBuild (tm) Utility 2.00 (c) 2002-2005 Promise Technology, Inc.
    ]
    Last edited by were; 17-06-2017 at 7:38 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,203Posts Today

6,868Users online

Martin's Twitter