Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GT60
    • By GT60 7th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    • 1,802Posts
    • 949Thanks
    GT60
    windows embolom and starting windows
    • 7th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    windows embolom and starting windows 7th Jun 17 at 11:05 AM
    A bit of a long one sorry.
    I used the Hard drive out of an old XP desktop in a CCTV system
    I used it for a bit and then delted the recording and now decided to put it back in the PC and load windows 7 or XP on the pc with this Hard drive.
    every time i have tried to get the pc to started it says something about the bois not being installed and sometimes i get something about "arry"
    i have managed to change the boot order to the DVD and it then restarted on its own, a message that has kept popping up is ......... no bios installed
    It eventualy loaded the windows files (black screen and white line at the bottom) but them the pc stickes on the windows emblem and starting windows
    what am i doing wrong?
    Thanks
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
Page 3
    • GT60
    • By GT60 13th Jun 17, 11:31 AM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    Recap: (1) buy new ide cable of the correct length or longer and replace, put plug it into the blue one, but clean grime first. (2) Carefully plug in sata cable into Sata 1 as per above photo, but clean grime first. (3) Make sure your PC can boot from the CD drive < main aim before anything else

I have a "sata cable from the CCTV box that the HD was plugged into would this do for the cable?
    I have now ordered the ide cable

so when that arrives I will plug everything in and try again using the widows XP disc I have
    All the OD disc's that I have are just OS and nothing else (not branded EG dell ETC.)
    I will get a brush and clean the tower also
    shall I get the antistatic band also as when I have got this pc working I will over time and with your help if you are will to do so rebuild the pc into a new all singing and dancing machine for my children
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anti-Static-WristBand-Strap-ESD-Grounding-Wrist-Strap-Prevents-Static-Build-Up-/331796152712?hash=item4d40978188:g:q8AAAOSwv9hW3Gn o
    Thank you
    • were
    • By were 13th Jun 17, 12:18 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    were
    Sata cable. If you have wiggled it alot, they break.

Xp should boot from cd, but doubt it will install as the nrmal cs do not have stata drivers. Boot off a windows 10 cd as that may contain sata drivers and most likely will support usb to inport the missing drivers, of they are not on the disk.

There is little, if any money saved by building a pc from parts. Buying one is often cheaper.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 13th Jun 17, 12:37 PM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    The windows 10 cd is the iso one from M soft
    when I updated my other desktop from wind to 10 at the time m soft were pushing win 10
    Now ordered the sata cable and an antistatic band
    Thank you very much for everything
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 13th Jun 17, 2:02 PM
    • 1,925 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    DavidP24
    Recap:

(1) buy new ide cable of the correct length or longer and replace, put plug it into the blue one, but clean grime first.

(2) Carefully plug in sata cable into Sata 1 as per above photo, but clean grime first. (3) Make sure your PC can boot from the CD drive < main aim before anything else

I have a "sata cable from the CCTV box that the HD was plugged into would this do for the cable?
    I have now ordered the ide cable

so when that arrives I will plug everything in and try again using the widows XP disc I have
    All the OD disc's that I have are just OS and nothing else (not branded EG dell ETC.)

I will get a brush and clean the tower also shall I get the antistatic band also as when I have got this pc working I will over time and with your help if you are will to do so rebuild the pc into a new all singing and dancing machine for my children
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anti-Static-WristBand-Strap-ESD-Grounding-Wrist-Strap-Prevents-Static-Build-Up-/331796152712?hash=item4d40978188:g:q8AAAOSwv9hW3Gn o
    Thank you
    Originally posted by GT60
    Why do you need an IDE cable?

Your hard disk is SATA!

just so you are clear this is the SATA connector

For cleaning you need to vacuum, do not brush as it will spread it, soft nozzle on Vacuum cleaner would be OK as it sucks it out.
    Last edited by DavidP24; 13-06-2017 at 2:05 PM.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • GT60
    • By GT60 13th Jun 17, 2:31 PM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    HI
    the ide cable has a spit in it and a broken wire
    the sata cable is the one you gave me the link to http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162518003944?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageNa me=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I will be vacuuming the tower to get rid of the dust just using a paint brush to loosen the dust
    Thanks
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 13th Jun 17, 2:39 PM
    • 1,925 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    DavidP24
    Sorry I thought it was the grey sata cable in the photo that split, my bad.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 13th Jun 17, 2:54 PM
    • 1,925 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    DavidP24
    OK when you get the cables sorted out the FIRST thing you want to do is to test that the hard disk is being seen by the BIOS, there is no point trying to load windows until hardware is seen.

Were you able to get into BIOS by pressing F2/F10 you could remove IDE and SATA from motherboard so they can't load, then keep trying to get into BIOS, it is about timing, especially with the firmware of IDE and SATA controllers pushing in, it will either need to be before they kick in or after the last. Keep trying.

Once in you want to examine the boot order to start with, something along the lines of

Optical (CD/DV)
    USB
    Hard Disk

Once you have replacement cables back you can boot a Hiren Boot CD which has some hard disk tests, you want to know if they can see the WD1600 hard disk and the capacity should be 160gb

You can download ISO for Hiren here

Alternatively you can make a mother of all boot USB with Xboot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQmv2IWe4c

Remember there is no point in proceeding until the hardware can be seen.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 13th Jun 17, 4:40 PM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    The cables should be here Friday so hopefully Saturday I will retry
    I always press F2 soon as I turn the pc on but it seems to take ages for the bios to appear if at all.
    To remove ide and sata will they appear with enable / disable at the side of them?
    Then when I have the cd in the first boot order I take it I enable ide and sata again and then start to load the cd?

Thanks
    • were
    • By were 14th Jun 17, 12:27 AM
    • 448 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    were
    the sata and ide are normally different, but you do have an old mboard/bios. You have not yet told us the exact model of the mboard? I gather it is an Asus-A8v-Deluxe, but you have not confirmed this?

I think this is very close to your bios, and possibly you should set yours up the same way
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63JztirAJFI

from the above vid @ 0:16 you should have a dvd drive listed too hopefully 2 drives, but also suspect this mboard on the vid is newer?

@0:41 you want for an easy install to have you first boot device the cd rom, the the seconds the hard disk.

Since the ide cable is not here yet, plug the drive into sata1 (as per pic, not the raid one), make the bios changes as listed in the vid, IDE drives are normally set to "auto detect", and boot it.

I will change a previous note, I would say now when that wide grey cable arrives, put in in place of the existing ripped cable onthe black connector (notice the side of the coloured cable), DO NOT put it in the blue socket as I suggested earlier, but use the exiting black socket. In regard to the new wide cable, when removing, gently pull the cable straight out with finger and thumb holding the centre of the wide cable, or of you must gently wiggle both sides out in small steps, rather than grab one side and yank the cable out in one go, as this will rip the cable. Some cable have a plastic grab on top allowing you to pull the cable out.

For full disclosure: I have never worked on this type of mboard, and DavidP24 is most likely correct in the the drive should show or be detected, but there was also some weird software around at this time that overlayed the bios, mapping certain stuff out, but allowing other stuff to run, and was in my case on the Seagate Disk Manger Floppy (we only used Seagate drives). Version 1 of anything is sometimes bad news, as there are no set standards. SATA has now matured.
    Last edited by were; 14-06-2017 at 12:51 AM.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 16th Jun 17, 4:14 PM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60

this is my screen after F8 and I have altered the boot sequence also.

here are my Hirens options not sure what I do next.
    photo's 1 - 6
    Thanks

Last edited by GT60; 16-06-2017 at 4:23 PM.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 16th Jun 17, 4:17 PM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60

• DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 16th Jun 17, 8:27 PM
    • 1,925 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    DavidP24
    Can't see any of those photos.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 16th Jun 17, 9:34 PM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    Sorry I deleted everything from the photo site

• GT60
    • By GT60 16th Jun 17, 9:38 PM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60

• GT60
    • By GT60 16th Jun 17, 9:39 PM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    do I need to reload the other photos or are these ok?
    • GT60
    • By GT60 16th Jun 17, 9:42 PM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60

this is my screen after F8 and I have altered the boot sequence also.
    • were
    • By were 16th Jun 17, 10:46 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    were
    on main bios screen, in System Information, what is in there?

If you select primary IDE master and press Enter, does it give you a drive list, and is sata an option?

What is on the advanced bios screen?

What is on the Bios Boot screen?

What model of Asus mboard do you have?
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 16th Jun 17, 10:51 PM
    • 1,925 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    DavidP24
    Great you got into the BIOS

OK so your IDE channel is working, it has just the DVD drive connected on the second master/

No sign of SATA there, press right arrow to get to the BOOT menu, see if it can see it in there.

Upload a photo of boot menu and advanced menu

If it does not show, reboot and see what sata firmware sees, you have to press tab when it comes up.

Before trying Hiren we need to see the capacity of disk in firmware.
    • were
    • By were 16th Jun 17, 11:22 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    were
    If you can, you do not want to be controlled by Disk Manager etc unless it is a last resort. If you cant get to this sata controller via the bios, then using the raid controller could be another option.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 17th Jun 17, 8:54 AM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    We're In your last post sorry I don't understand what that means.

How do I find our the model of the mother board?
    Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,221Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin