Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GT60
    • By GT60 7th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    • 1,807Posts
    • 949Thanks
    GT60
    windows embolom and starting windows
    • 7th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    windows embolom and starting windows 7th Jun 17 at 11:05 AM
    A bit of a long one sorry.
    I used the Hard drive out of an old XP desktop in a CCTV system
    I used it for a bit and then delted the recording and now decided to put it back in the PC and load windows 7 or XP on the pc with this Hard drive.
    every time i have tried to get the pc to started it says something about the bois not being installed and sometimes i get something about "arry"
    i have managed to change the boot order to the DVD and it then restarted on its own, a message that has kept popping up is ......... no bios installed
    It eventualy loaded the windows files (black screen and white line at the bottom) but them the pc stickes on the windows emblem and starting windows
    what am i doing wrong?
    Thanks
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
Page 2
    • GT60
    • By GT60 8th Jun 17, 8:29 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    the big grey cable is for the DVD drive if this helps as I don't understand this IDE
    the other photo is of the HD with the small grey cable
    • were
    • By were 8th Jun 17, 8:33 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were
    notice on bottom right hand side under the ide socket, each port is labled ide1 or ide2. the one closest to the poser is often ide1, but both are close in your case.
    • were
    • By were 8th Jun 17, 8:38 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were
    no problem tomorrow.

Your windows was complaining about ide. The CD/DVD drive uses ide. If this has not been re-cabled, then it is very possibly a fingers changing bios.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 9th Jun 17, 1:42 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    no problem tomorrow.

Your windows was complaining about ide. The CD/DVD drive uses ide. If this has not been re-cabled, then it is very possibly a fingers changing bios.
    Originally posted by were
    I have now put the big grey cable in the IDE1
    is there any other photos you need as I am certain no cables were change but I may have altered something when changing the boot mode to DVD
    Thanks
    • were
    • By were 10th Jun 17, 11:18 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were
    On top of DavidsP24 post above, try this too.

Here is a manual similar to your mboard, but the switches in front of the blue ide socket are missing from the illustrations and the manual.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/409763/Asus-A8v-Deluxe.html?page=25#manual

I would take that grey sata cable and plug it into the other port. Newer mother boards scan the sata bus, but the first incarnations of sata some only booted of the first port.

This may help you too, if the mboard is correct https://www.asus.com/support/Download/1/21/1/1/17/
    Last edited by were; 17-06-2017 at 12:39 PM. Reason: different model mboard - corrected
    • GT60
    • By GT60 11th Jun 17, 1:51 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    Sorry I don't understand
    "maybe description for those jumpers or list the model of hard disk, chances are they just set the speed of the SATA interface, but I ask in case you changed them and in case it is relevant."

The HD is vibrating when I turn the PC on

If you have checked the cables are connected properly you could try the other SATA port on the motherboard.
    I have tried the big grey cable and the small one for the HD in the other sockets

You really need to get into BIOS, by pressing F2 or Del key as it is booting, probably before Fastek bios loads.

I notice when SATA controller loads is says to press Tab, have you tried that, it may take you to a screen to configure that controller, I would be interested to know if it can see the drive.

I get this screen not sure what to do though
    The problem you have is that the PC Bios may be telling it to boot somewhere else and even disable SATA
    what is "SATA"?

I do get to the select place to install the OS but the HD shows as 0 GB
    • GT60
    • By GT60 11th Jun 17, 1:52 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    • GT60
    • By GT60 11th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    I forgot to try the download that Were mentioned a while back sorry
    I will try that later today or tomorrow and see if that will let me delete anything that still may be on the HD
    I am still certain that non of the cables have been unplugged before my son took out the HD
    The HD is still vibrating and is warm to the touch after being on for about 15 minutes now
    I am now letting windows load again with the two grey cables in the other socket you have said to try
    • were
    • By were 11th Jun 17, 11:13 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were
    GT60. A bit unsure, but think you are in the wrong bios. Think you are in the raid controller bios set up one, which you do not want to set up. You want the motherboard bios.

sata boot rom I would guess you should enable disable (some post on forums say enable. others disable - try them both), as enabling it is for raid https://www.manualslib.com/manual/409763/Asus-A8v-Deluxe.html?page=90#manual
    https://www.hardocp.com/article/2004/08/24/asus_a8v_deluxe/3
    https://hardforum.com/threads/asus-a8v-deluxe-bios-wont-detect-sata-hd.1001386/
    https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=1&model=A8V+Deluxe&id=201101211 02956086&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
    https://hardforum.com/threads/asus-a8v-problem-booting-from-sata-or-seeing-other-sata-drives.788466/
    Jumbled mixed answers. Clearly people are having difficulty. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/245624-32-does-asus-drivers-sata-drive
    Think this may be the answer, but you need a floppy with the sata/raid drivers on it: https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=468497

Sneaky suspicion there are no windows 7 or above drivers, as this wan mentioned in another forum? need drivers from chipset manufacturer. Drivers: https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/installing-sata-drive-to-asus-a8v-deluxe.2250095/

But i would disable the OnBoard Promise Controller, as you are not using raid.
    Last edited by were; 12-06-2017 at 1:26 AM.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 12th Jun 17, 11:57 AM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    The big grey cable now has a split in it and two of the wire have broken off
    What I don't understand is why the PC wont boot after removing the HD and then putting it back.

I don't have a floppy disk drive on the pc and don't understand the replies sorry
    Yes I may have altered something in the boot menus but I don't know what sorry

The PC takes an hour to get to the windows files loading stage so you can imagine my frustration
    I think it is time to give up on this Idea now of trying to fix the pc I thought it would be just a case of putting an OS disc in it and booting the PC
    Thank you very much for all your help
    • were
    • By were 12th Jun 17, 2:39 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were
    Two SATA controllers are on this mboard. This board will either boot off the raid controller (promise), or boot off the normal SATA controller - your choice. It is reported that that mboard needs sata drivers either way, usually on a floppy that needs to be installed when when installing windows xp (read the links in my previous post), from floppy via F6 key when instructed on the screen, similar to vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oDT40ewh90

Due to age a usb probably will not work to install drivers? You could also slipstream the sata drivers onto the xp installation disk via nlite. Asus supported the motherboard up to XP. A windows 7 installation is much harder and you have to search for 3rd party drivers that work.

I would recommend you try 10 as it may have the correct drivers, but if that fails use XP, because we know xp works, and there are SATA drivers to download for xp. Once you have got the basics to boot and run, then you can put on something newer on.

is this the 'big grey cable' which is ide that has split in the pic below, or as DavidP24 says the sata? A few grey cables in there.

Boot speed: on boot the system is looking for something and waiting. Possibly the Disk? Go to the bios and check the boot order: dvd first (installation media source?) and your sata disk second. It does boot from dvd?

To be honest, for you it may be easiest to get a ide to sata converter and run that drive as an ide, but I would not do it.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-3-5-IDE-to-SATA-SATA-to-IDE-ATA100-133-HDD-Converter-Adapter-Cables-PC-/252250070103?hash=item3abb469c57:g:duMAAOSwGotWlfP Z
    • GT60
    • By GT60 12th Jun 17, 3:24 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    Sorry I presumed when Floppy was mentioned I needed a floppy disc

Due to age a usb probably will not work to install drivers?
    I did try the USB this morning but it just sat on the black screen with the curser for an hour
    You could also slipstream the sata drivers onto the xp installation disk via nlite.
    I was going to say this is also going over my head but I have googled it and looks very complicated like the other links you gave me to read

I would recommend you try 10 as it may have the correct drivers, but if that fails use XP, because we know xp works, and there are SATA drivers to download for xp. Once you have got the basics to boot and run, then you can put on something newer on.
    Is this windows 10?

is this the 'big grey cable' which is ide that has split in the pic below, or as DavidP24 says the sata? A few grey cables in there.
    Yes the Big grey cable has a split in it and broken wires

Boot speed: on boot the system is looking for something and waiting. Possibly the Disk? Go to the bios and check the boot order: dvd first (installation media source?) and your sata disk second. It does boot from dvd?
    This is by tapping F6 or F2 as I do tap them and about a minute or so later the boot screen comes up ( the screen with the 4 or 5 options grey writing and a blue background) I will post a photo

I have also just noticed the sata 2 plug which is the one in use on the circuit board is loose (wobbles) so must have a bad connection to the board
    Can I use Sata 1 connection?

• GT60
    • By GT60 12th Jun 17, 3:30 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    I have been trying to load windows 7 on the PC also so from what you are saying isn't going to work just yet

How easy would it be for me to rebuild the tower in to a fast up to date PC instead?
    with new components.

also I haven't been using anything for static protection either as I thought installing an OS would be easy but I now know it is not that straight forward, I didn't know the mother board thing has software installed on it also ( the Floppy F6 thing)
    Thank you once again for all your help
    you are really helpful and I appreciate you both spending all you time helping me
    • were
    • By were 13th Jun 17, 1:08 AM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were
    Sorry I presumed when Floppy was mentioned I needed a floppy disc

Due to age a usb probably will not work to install drivers?
    I did try the USB this morning but it just sat on the black screen with the curser for an hour
    You could also slipstream the sata drivers onto the xp installation disk via nlite.
    I was going to say this is also going over my head but I have googled it and looks very complicated like the other links you gave me to read
    Originally posted by GT60
    The earlier implementations of usb v2 did not boot from usb, and the bios possibly also has no setting for that either.

XP did not come with sata drivers, however some manufacturers like Dell did add sata drivers to their XP installation CD. Your sata drivers were/are on a floppy disk, and the installation/utility cd for your mboard has these drivers on it and the raid sata drivers too - for xp. You are suppose to copy the drivers off and put them on the a:\ of the floppy disk so that when you boot the xp disk, it will display something about F6 for external drivers, and you insert the floppy, but with hindsight a usb drive may work on win 10, if the drivers are not already there???

Is this windows 10?
    If you are lucky, windows 10 will have sata drivers that will work on your card. If it does not you can possibly download them from here??? http://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/asus/laptops-desktops/a8v-e-deluxe/81330 Look under "Hard Disk Controller Drivers" not "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller". Windows 10 will hopefully bypass you usb mboard/bios restrictions?

The probable reason why windows 10 worked, is that you kept doing live upgrades.

Yes the Big grey cable has a split in it and broken wires
    This is the first thing you have to replace. Once replaced you need to make sure you can boot from the DVD drive and the the windows DVD starts to load. This is the type of cable you need, the coloured wire goes to pin 1 which is marked on the board and drive, but your seem to be the correct way around. Make sure the cable you buy is long enough, better too long than too short. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20CM-40-PIN-IDE-ATA-MOTHERBOARD-TO-DRIVE-RIBBON-CABLE-DATA-TRANSFER-UK-SELLER-/263027212252?hash=item3d3da4bfdc:m:mAKeqw4pfYugVsB hO9C1BGw

Just buy a new SATA cable too ( longer rather than shorter one, and one with the metal clip like existing one that grabs onto the drive)

I have also just noticed the sata 2 plug which is the one in use on the circuit board is loose (wobbles) so must have a bad connection to the board
    Can I use Sata 1 connection?

DavidP24 on post #24 asked you to use sata1. I did missed this too and also in post #25 asked you to put the sata cable into sata1 - the one with the red box around it. Do not worry about sata 2. Dont touch sata2

Recap: (1) buy new ide cable of the correct length or longer and replace, put plug it into the blue one existing black socket, but clean grime first. (2) Carefully plug in sata cable into Sata 1 as per above photo, but clean grime first. (3) Make sure your PC can boot from the CD drive < main aim before anything else
    Last edited by were; 14-06-2017 at 12:32 AM.
    • were
    • By were 13th Jun 17, 1:38 AM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were
    I have been trying to load windows 7 on the PC also so from what you are saying isn't going to work just yet

How easy would it be for me to rebuild the tower in to a fast up to date PC instead?
    with new components.

also I haven't been using anything for static protection either as I thought installing an OS would be easy but I now know it is not that straight forward, I didn't know the mother board thing has software installed on it also ( the Floppy F6 thing)
    Thank you once again for all your help
    you are really helpful and I appreciate you both spending all you time helping me
    Originally posted by GT60
    I think it at worst will eventually work, but will require you to watch a few youtube videos and burn a dvd or two and you have to get sata drivers onto that CD. If you get a floppy drive and cables, it could be cheap-ish and quicker. The easiest way it is going to work is to buy two ide ribbon cables and convert that sata disk to ide for £3.28 using http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-3-5-IDE-to-SATA-SATA-to-IDE-ATA100-133-HDD-Converter-Adapter-Cables-PC-/252250070103?hash=item3abb469c57:g:duMAAOSwGotWlfP %20%20Z
    The computer should see the drive as ide and the cd install straight off, bypassing sata.

Providing you touch the chassis of the computer first (but really you should be in permanent contact with the chassis), static should not be an issue.

Carefull upgrading to a new mboard. Current board follow some standard port positioning (or cut out pannel), the old ones did not, then there could well be mounting pillar location differences too. Possible power supply inadequacies, especially if you upgrade the cpu. Possibly cheaper to buy something newer from ebay for less.

It would not surprise me if you do the 3 things on the previous post, windows 10 installs.
    Last edited by were; 13-06-2017 at 2:54 AM.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 13th Jun 17, 11:31 AM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    Recap: (1) buy new ide cable of the correct length or longer and replace, put plug it into the blue one, but clean grime first. (2) Carefully plug in sata cable into Sata 1 as per above photo, but clean grime first. (3) Make sure your PC can boot from the CD drive < main aim before anything else

I have a "sata cable from the CCTV box that the HD was plugged into would this do for the cable?
    I have now ordered the ide cable

so when that arrives I will plug everything in and try again using the widows XP disc I have
    All the OD disc's that I have are just OS and nothing else (not branded EG dell ETC.)
    I will get a brush and clean the tower also
    shall I get the antistatic band also as when I have got this pc working I will over time and with your help if you are will to do so rebuild the pc into a new all singing and dancing machine for my children
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anti-Static-WristBand-Strap-ESD-Grounding-Wrist-Strap-Prevents-Static-Build-Up-/331796152712?hash=item4d40978188:g:q8AAAOSwv9hW3Gn o
    Thank you
    • were
    • By were 13th Jun 17, 12:18 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were
    Sata cable. If you have wiggled it alot, they break.

Xp should boot from cd, but doubt it will install as the nrmal cs do not have stata drivers. Boot off a windows 10 cd as that may contain sata drivers and most likely will support usb to inport the missing drivers, of they are not on the disk.

There is little, if any money saved by building a pc from parts. Buying one is often cheaper.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 13th Jun 17, 12:37 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    The windows 10 cd is the iso one from M soft
    when I updated my other desktop from wind to 10 at the time m soft were pushing win 10
    Now ordered the sata cable and an antistatic band
    Thank you very much for everything
    • GT60
    • By GT60 13th Jun 17, 2:31 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    HI
    the ide cable has a spit in it and a broken wire
    the sata cable is the one you gave me the link to http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162518003944?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageNa me=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I will be vacuuming the tower to get rid of the dust just using a paint brush to loosen the dust
    Thanks
    • GT60
    • By GT60 13th Jun 17, 4:40 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    GT60
    The cables should be here Friday so hopefully Saturday I will retry
    I always press F2 soon as I turn the pc on but it seems to take ages for the bios to appear if at all.
    To remove ide and sata will they appear with enable / disable at the side of them?
    Then when I have the cd in the first boot order I take it I enable ide and sata again and then start to load the cd?

Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

1,332Users online

Martin's Twitter