Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hopetobedebtfree
    • By Hopetobedebtfree 7th Jun 17, 12:01 AM
    • 25Posts
    • 9Thanks
    Hopetobedebtfree
    Boiler question - Losing deposit
    • 7th Jun 17, 12:01 AM
    Boiler question - Losing deposit 7th Jun 17 at 12:01 AM
    Hi, I'm in desperate need of some advice. My partner and I have just bought our first home- moved from a rental property. We are waiting for our 2k deposit back from our previous landlord. He has told us that he needs to deduct 1k if a boiler repair. The boiler is not tested in the check out report however he claims we switched it off at the mains before leaving. We absolutely did not however pictures from the check out report show that there was no light at the mains indicating it was indeed switched off. This leaves it being either our end of tenancy cleaners or the check our agent (unsurprisingly both are denying this). The landlord claims that a heating engineer has confirmed that the switching off at the mains caused the pump to seize! This doesn't seem right to me. We simply can't afford to lose this money! Any plumbers (or anyone) got any advice on this? The deposit is protected and in terms of timescales etc the landlord has been above board- that is, he informed us within the requisite period. I feel aggrieved that the act of switching off a boiler at the mains would cause this to happen! Surely that's not right?
Page 4
    • jbainbridge
    • By jbainbridge 9th Jun 17, 11:04 AM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    jbainbridge
    Thanks each penny. I'd hope that deposit scheme dispute would be the way this goes rather than court.
    Originally posted by Hopetobedebtfree
    Exacly. Do not deal directly with the landlord. Claim the deposit back through the deposit scheme and dispute any deduction.

There is no way you should be held responsible for this - what would happen if there was a power cut for example. It is not unreasonable to remove power from a boiler. In any case the quoted sludge build up would not happen over night - it takes years. In fact it more likely points to a lack of maintenance over time.
    • Hopetobedebtfree
    • By Hopetobedebtfree 10th Jun 17, 11:48 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Hopetobedebtfree
    Update - we just received our original check in photos and these show that the boiler was switched off at the mains when we moved in! Hopefully this is enough for landlord to concede that we cannot be held responsible for the boiler breakdown as the boiler mains switch was left, upon move our, as it was when we moved in! With any luck we won't have to worry about further evidence and going to dispute
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 10th Jun 17, 2:32 PM
    • 8,040 Posts
    • 4,802 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Update - we just received our original check in photos and these show that the boiler was switched off at the mains when we moved in! Hopefully this is enough for landlord to concede that we cannot be held responsible for the boiler breakdown as the boiler mains switch was left, upon move our, as it was when we moved in! With any luck we won't have to worry about further evidence and going to dispute
    Originally posted by Hopetobedebtfree

In fact, you could claim that you left it in the same condition that you found it; often a requisite.

WB recommend a magnetic filter, which we have , to keep the system clean, so it's the landlord's fault if they skimped on this relatively cheap addition.

Also, as the work done seems very over the top, it's possible that they have a 'friendly' gas engineer willing to split the proceeds, so if all else fails a quote from elsewhere is a must (many do free quotations).
    Last edited by teddysmum; 10-06-2017 at 2:36 PM.
    • Hopetobedebtfree
    • By Hopetobedebtfree 10th Jun 17, 4:10 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Hopetobedebtfree
    Incredibly he is claiming that the switch is on (despite the absence of the LED light which he has previously stated in email is an indicator of it being switched off when he was referring to the check OUT). So we have now raised a dispute. What a palava!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

748Posts Today

8,395Users online

Martin's Twitter