Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lincsvape
    • By lincsvape 6th Jun 17, 7:41 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lincsvape
    One or Two accounts?
    • 6th Jun 17, 7:41 PM
    One or Two accounts? 6th Jun 17 at 7:41 PM
    What do most people do?

Have one current account for everything - wages in, bill payments, shopping, going out? Etc

Or two current accounts, one for wages and spending and maybe one just for direct debits and bills which part of the wages get transferred into each month?
Page 2
    • Lith
    • By Lith 7th Jun 17, 2:46 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    Lith
    Two... ohhh i miss those days (i have 10)
    HSBC (Main A/C)
    Halifax Back up A/C
    Lloyds (Spending) A/C
    RBS Back up A/C
    Barclays Old A/C
    Nationwide Old A/C
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 7th Jun 17, 6:17 PM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 4,807 Thanks
    eskbanker
    I don't think I am being smug at all, I just said what works best for me. So, post 3 says I should have two of everything in case one breaks down. My bank has served me well, I must have been with them for 40 odd years, never a problem. My computer is not linked to theirs, I don't do internet banking, so if they lose my money I would hope that they have contingency plans in place to reimburse me. I don't go to bed at night worrying if all my money might disappear. If that's smug, then so be it.
    Originally posted by Ilona
    But the point of post #3 was all about contingency planning by not having all your eggs in one basket - it's all very well hoping that your bank has contingency plans and I'm sure they will (just like British Airways and the NHS do....), but there have been any number of high-profile service outages for many high street banks, which have affected customers' access to their funds or delayed automated payments, etc. Yes, everything was resolved eventually but those who've experienced unavailability issues like this realise the wisdom of having their own contingency plan so that they aren't dependent on one bank.

It's nothing to do with internet banking, linking computers or money disappearing, but you were saying that you only needed one account because you feel you're good at managing your money, so I'm just highlighting a counterpoint to that line of thinking. Of course you're perfectly entitled to your rationale of 'so far so good' but let's just hope that luck holds....
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 7th Jun 17, 7:10 PM
    • 1,830 Posts
    • 6,372 Thanks
    Ilona
    What do most people do?

Have one current account for everything - wages in, bill payments, shopping, going out? Etc

Or two current accounts, one for wages and spending and maybe one just for direct debits and bills which part of the wages get transferred into each month?
    Originally posted by lincsvape
    Sorry, I didn't see anything about contingency plans here. I just answered the question, one or two. I felt it would be useful to explain why I had one.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Annie Clark
    • By Annie Clark 8th Jun 17, 3:33 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Annie Clark
    I don't NEED another £500 a year, I have enough thank you. More money doesn't always bring happiness, I am lucky that I have an income that meets all my needs.

[..]

I am good at managing MY money, I have never been in debt, never had an overdraft, the only borrowings I have ever had is a mortgage, now that is gone. My life is working out exactly as I planned it.
    Originally posted by Ilona
    I think you're doing great. You're debt free and living within your means, and are happy with it. The number of bank accounts is completely irrelevant in your case. Ignore these people
    • takman
    • By takman 8th Jun 17, 3:53 PM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    takman
    I think you're doing great. You're debt free and living within your means, and are happy with it. The number of bank accounts is completely irrelevant in your case. Ignore these people
    Originally posted by Annie Clark
    I think your on the wrong site if your recommending people to ignore advice which can save them hundreds of pounds a year and maximise the interest they can get on their savings.

They don't have to follow the advice but it should be seriously considered.

Also having more than one account is relevant for everyone. Just search online for stories of people not being able to access money in their account due to bank failures, or sometimes even due to payments that trigger fraud investigations.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 8th Jun 17, 4:17 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    phillw
    Also having more than one account is relevant for everyone. Just search online for stories of people not being able to access money in their account due to bank failures, or sometimes even due to payments that trigger fraud investigations.
    Originally posted by takman
    Having more than one account doesn't solve anything, it has to be more than one account with money in it. I never really need cash, so I don't worry that much about it though.
    • takman
    • By takman 8th Jun 17, 4:55 PM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    takman
    Having more than one account doesn't solve anything, it has to be more than one account with money in it. I never really need cash, so I don't worry that much about it though.
    Originally posted by phillw
    Well if you have a second account then it might as well be a high interest account so you will put your savings in it to earn a better rate of interest.

The chance of you needing money and not being able to access it is very low but considering that you get a lot of benefits from multiple accounts then you might as well have one.

If you fill up your car at the fuel station and go to pay and your only card is rejected then you will then very much wish you had another account. It may be very unlikely but it has happened to people.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 8th Jun 17, 6:52 PM
    • 1,830 Posts
    • 6,372 Thanks
    Ilona
    Originally posted by Annie Clark
    Thanks Annie, I am. I don't know why takman is getting his knickers in a twist.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Pjsmith76
    • By Pjsmith76 17th Jun 17, 8:25 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Pjsmith76
    About 4 solo accounts (everyday, other business, money to one side and car) and 3 joint account (mum, Mrs and a defunked one with the Mrs)
    And a savings account.
    Multiple providers.
    • NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 19th Jun 17, 3:03 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    NelliePie
    Not sure how relevant our situation is but for what it's worth my partner and I have our own individual current accounts that our wages get paid in to. From this we each transfer a set amount monthly to a joint current account which takes care of bills, food etc. What ever's left we can have for our own spending (we try not to spend much) and anything left at the end of the month goes into a joint saver. This works for us as we both earn roughly the same so can contribute the same to the bills and we have roughly the same attitude towards spending/saving - we both are as frugal as we can reasonable be without restricting our lifestyle unnecessarily.
    When life gives you lemons, find the tequila!
    MFW: FTB June 2017 £144k. Target 128k June 2019
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

455Posts Today

4,580Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin